/tmp error

Help for Mepis 11
Pierre

/tmp error

#1 Postby Pierre » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:19 am

I've had M11 running for nearly a year on this PC,
& I used LuckyBackup <Rsync> to backup a XP64 bit partition, some time back . . .

So I wnt to update that backup & that backup only went for several minutes & then crashed . ..

Now, when ever I log_in to M11 - it boots up to the log_in menu, but when I enter the user_name & pwd,
- it gets up to the 2nd of those "loading icons" & then returns back to the main log_in menu again.

This applies to both the user(s) & the root log_in.

If I log_in a 2nd time - then <with any account> it crashes with the error "unable to access /tmp" & I have to press the <okay> button.
It then returns back to the log_in menu - again.

I could fix this with a complete re-install - But I'd like to know just what is causing this to happen.

I can hit <escape> key whilst loading - to see the actual booting process - but can't get behind the graphical screen,
when attemping to log_in. If I use <ctrl-alt-F1> after trying to log_in - it gives me a cli_type login.
This simply crashes back to the graphical log_in - again.

:bawling: :bawling: :bawling:

lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: /tmp error

#2 Postby lucky9 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:57 am

Boot the Mepis LiveDVD and take a look at the /tmp directory. It sounds like it may be full. Also check the partitions that you have Mepis installed in for free space.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

Pierre

Re: /tmp error

#3 Postby Pierre » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:34 am

There is/was no /tmp directory.

I checked that from another 'nix o/s on this PC.
so - I created one - made no difference - the partition is 20Gb is size
& has lots of space left
/home is on a seperate 400GB partition with loads of space.

Return to “Mepis 11”