Is this a new bug? 
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Have thanks: 61 times
Post # 298905
Post Re: Is this a new bug?
lucky9 wrote:
Was there a reboot involved?

Many. Now the computer will turn itself off if it goes into hibernation.

This is Windows all over again.

Michel

Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:41 pm
Profile WWW
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Have thanks: 473 times
Post # 298924
You might not like my response, but....

The L650 is not known as a speed demon and if it was provided with only 2Gb of RAM, then I think I am safe to consider it as having been marketed towards the budget conscious, which normally means it was not designed to be the speed demon.

With that reckoning, using a system with 2Gb RAM to feed a host system running KDE4, which operates best with more than 1GB for its own use and a windows 7 guest in a VM, which operates best when fed 2GB or more RAM is sure to cause frustrations.

The first thing you need is more RAM and a PAE kernel if you plan to continue with the ageing 32-bit subsystem so you can use more than 3GB of RAM, or to upgrade your RAM memory AND switch to a 64-bit host, relegating 32-bit to the halls of experience.

I would not dare to run anything later than an XP virtual machine with the specs of your system, feeding it ~832Mb RAM and 128Mb Vram so as to not let the host RAM fall below 1Gb.

Now for the next slice of advice. KDE 4.5 is significantly slower than some of the later offerings, so you might be better served with one of the Community remasters running KDE 4.65 or 4.74 and an updated Debian Kernel from the backports repo.

Kudos to Danum for his extensive work making the above remasters, but IMHO, his latest work where he built KDE 4.8 on top of a Debian Stable based system is taking the Debian Stable base to the absolute limit of its capabilities. For me, the virtues of KDE 4.8 are certainly very enticing, but I am more of the opinion of not mixing the two in a production environment, which is what you are desiring to run, however, Danums Roadblock 64B with a few further enhancements is working surprisingly well for me.

It's not as stable as the regular Mepis, but I need that sort of kit because I have just upgraded my work system and my production Laptop to the point where Debian Stable does not have what it takes to run my new hardware properly, but in contrast, Roadblock64B in its OOTB state had the best overall result on both machines and I did test the latest daily snapshot if Ubuntu and Linux Mint, (using a spare HDD, not my real drive) neither of which configured my hardware properly.

Mike P

Regd Linux User #472293
(1)Lenovo e520, i7-2640M, 8GB, 750GB Seagate Hybrid, MX-14.1_DVD (my own respin)
(2) Asus M4A88TD-M, AMD Phenom II x4 955 CPU, Radeon HD 4250, 4Gb, 1.5TB, antiX-13-64

Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:47 am

m_pav thanked by: lucky9
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Have thanks: 61 times
Post # 298925
Thanks Mike. I don't really need a speed demon. I have a Mac Pro with quad core and 16M of Ram for Graphic work. i use my laptop for basic presentation, internet and to access some databases . Mind you the performance is more than adequate even with Virtual box running Windows 7. My issue is stability and my big question is why did I LOOSE the stability that I HAD with my system.

I am considering moving to 64 bit but I am in a period where I do not have the luxury of being able to re-install an OS and all the software and updates that will be required.

So my question to you is what can I do with what i have to secure stability. I can re-install an image file of my system with most of the software that I need or I can run some disk checks and some system repairs if you can show me how.

Thanks,

Michel

Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:42 am
Profile WWW
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Have thanks: 733 times
Post # 298926
m_pav wrote:
Kudos to Danum for his extensive work making the above remasters, but IMHO, his latest work where he built KDE 4.8 on top of a Debian Stable based system is taking the Debian Stable base to the absolute limit of its capabilities. For me, the virtues of KDE 4.8 are certainly very enticing, but I am more of the opinion of not mixing the two in a production environment, Mike P

The release that uses KDE 4.8 is built using Wheezy, (Testing), not Squeeze, (Stable)

Kubuntu KDE 4.11.00 / KDE 4.11.60 / Debian Wheezy KDE 4.10.4 / Plasma Active 3 Tablet

Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:55 am
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Have thanks: 473 times
Post # 298964
My apolagies Danum, I do recall seeing that it was based on Wheezy and that you had actually built it starting with Wheezy and you mepisified it. I guess I got my wires crossed due to it being a 32-bit package.

Back to Michelmassoud.
Let's make sure your hardware is not the problem first.
Boot with the Live-CD, choose the option to test and explore hardware, then using your arrow keys to navigate the menu, down arrow to Memory, right arrow to sub-menu and down arrow to run test. (left arrow or Esc to go back a step) If the RAM passes, then grab yourself a copy of Gparted Live-CD and boot with that, then click the disk health icon and follow you way through to your hard disk and double click it. Take note of the tab text colours, anything but black shows a failure detected. Open the Attributes tab and if there is any item highlighted, then your hard disk has reported a SMART error. Hover your mouse over each line to get a description of what each field means. If there are no errors, then run a quick test, or go the whole hog and run the full test, the choice is yours.

The L650 runs quite hot, so with the laptop off, clean the exhaust area with a damp cloth, (don't avoid this step or you'll regret it) raise the laptop up to your mouth, take a deep breath, cover half of the exhaust with your lips and give a hard and sharp blast of air into the cooling fins so you're driving the air in the reverse direction to what it is designed to do, then repeat again covering the other half. Watch for dust exiting the intake grill and make sure it doesn't get into your eyes or nose. This is a quick and dirty way of de-dusting a laptops cooling system and it is by no means what the pros do, but it will get you some results.
When finished, grab some pin tweezers and pick out any fluff that gets caught in the grille. If there's lots, i.e you've been weaving carpet over the exhaust fins, then you'll have to open it up and de-dust it properly or take it to the pros.

You can do it with very short blasts from a vaccuum if you want to, but pin the CPU fan with a paperclip to stop it spinning, else it will turn into a generator and could fry some internal components. By blowing it yourself twice as described, you will not do it any harm if the fan spins.

The Gparted Live-CD has a plethora of tools included and it is by far my most favored toolkit for almost all systems. You can check and benchmark hardware, scan for viruses (never used it for that), scan disks for errors and fix most common errors, use it for data recovery and more. The easiest way to scan a disk for soft errors is to do it through gparted, which is on the Gparted Live CD Desktop. Do that and come back to us.

If there are no hardware faults and your partitions are in good health, then you have a software error. PM me or send me an email if you need some hands-on assistance with the software side of things.

Mike P

Regd Linux User #472293
(1)Lenovo e520, i7-2640M, 8GB, 750GB Seagate Hybrid, MX-14.1_DVD (my own respin)
(2) Asus M4A88TD-M, AMD Phenom II x4 955 CPU, Radeon HD 4250, 4Gb, 1.5TB, antiX-13-64

Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:02 am

m_pav thanked by: lucky9, michelmassoud
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3