View unanswered posts | View unsolved topics | View active topics |

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Is this a new bug? 
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Have thanks: 467 times
Post # 298857
Post Re: Is this a new bug?
Sounds suspiciously like proprietary third party graphics drivers to me.

Before you go and hit the reset key, please, do not treat Linux as if it were windows. Use the escape sequences if you can, but if your issue is due to what I suspect it is, then none of the regular escape sequences will work.

If your system has openssh-server running and you have another system nearby, you can try ssh-ing into it and safely bringing it down, if not, then Linux has a few other safer than hard reset methods of exiting from an unexpected failure that causes X server issues.

First try Ctrl + Alt + Esc - to bring up the skull and crossbones application killer. If this works, you simply click on what you want to kill and it's gone, but don't click on your desktop. Repeat the key combination to return to a normal cursor.

If that doesn't work, try the Alt + PrtSc + K to kill the active Desktop environment and bring you back to a login screen.

If that doesn't work, the newer version of REISUB could get you out of a bind, though some of the key presses are now deprecated (can't remember which ones), so they will be ignored. Alt + PrtSc + R, followed by E, followed by I followed by S, followed by U and lastly B which reboots the system.

Mike P

Regd Linux User #472293
(1)Lenovo e520, i7-2640M, 8GB, 750GB Seagate Hybrid, MX-14.1_DVD (my own respin)
(2) Asus M4A88TD-M, AMD Phenom II x4 955 CPU, Radeon HD 4250, 4Gb, 1.5TB, antiX-13-64

Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:36 am

m_pav thanked by: michelmassoud
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Have thanks: 61 times
Post # 298863
Waow. That's a nice bag of tricks! Much appreciated! Did the hard reset affect my system in anyway? Should I do something about it? Also I have been running this configuration for nearly a year now without any problems. Why now?

Thanks,

Michel

Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:39 am
Profile WWW
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post # 298872
It froze again when I tried to run a parallel session (not because I need to but as a stress test). I really need my system to be stable. It is starting to feel too much like windows!

Michel

Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:17 pm
Profile WWW
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post # 298875
Dolphin has been crashing too.

Michel

Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:31 pm
Profile WWW
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Have thanks: 887 times
Post # 298879
Was there a reboot involved?

Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:06 pm
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Have thanks: 96 times
Post # 298880
lucky9 wrote:
Was there a reboot involved?

<sarcasm>What? Are we using Windows?</sarcasm> :p

Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:19 pm
Profile WWW
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Have thanks: 887 times
Post # 298885
Just realized it probably only needed an X-Windows/KDE restart. :hmm:

Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:25 am
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Have thanks: 51 times
Post # 298886
I just remembered, Lucky9, that is how I was able to get going again, also.

OK, I spent a bunch (that is US Redneck for more than a GOB, but not quite a xxxxxxx LOAD) of time this evening doing some detective work.
Earlier, I reported that I had experienced similar problems to those of the OP. I said my Vanilla M11 install was affected, + a RoadBlock 32, + a RoadBlock 64, & the RoadBlock TRK 32. All of that was correct, but not totally accurate. My vanilla install has all of the current updates, but no kernal upgrades--just synnaptic updates. I have Conky installed. I cannot remember other packages, but they are relatively few. I do have the most current Nvidia driver via SGFXI. I have ithis install on 3 partitions--as normally recommended.

The RoadBlock installs were temporary, just for testing. All are gone now, all were installed on a single partition. The 32 and the 64 versions seemed to me to work OK. I had many problems with the TRK install--I am not blaming the install--moreso, my lack of expertise setting up what I considered to be a pretty complicated install.

This evening, I downloaded the "SimplyMEPIS-1.5G_11.0.12_32.iso". I checked the sum, & burned via unetbootin to a 2 gig stick and installed it to my testing drive & partition (only on 1 partition).

Below are the steps I took to evaluate the problems I had encountered previously and to see if they were still present. THEY ARE!!

1. Loaded default settings
2. Logged in as "user".
3. Installed on 1 partition using ext3
4. installed GRUB to ROOT
5. Rebooted to new install
6. Logged in as "user"
7. Started parallel session as ROOT
8. OK
9. Logged out--Black Screen--waited 1 minute--nothing--moved mouse & login screen reappeared--cool
10 Logged in as "user"
11. End session--log out
12. Login as "user"
13 Started synaptic & did all 45 updates
14 Log out
15 Start parallel session as ROOT--OK
16 Logout
17 Black Screen
18 Same as 9 & 10 above
19 Logged in as "user"
20 Ran SGFXI--installed 295.40
21 After starting desktop, logged in as ROOT
22 Set up desired resolution--saved X-config
23 Logged out
24 Logged in as "user"
25 Big problems logging in--user name invisible unless dragging mouse over box
26 Clicked password box--all black--dragging = no help--clicked in password box & typed password--ENTER--it worked
27 All menus AFU (all fouled up) all black & mouse-over (no click) required to see anything--pretty frustrating
28 Resolution incorrect, also
29 Restart computer--login as "user"--Resolution OK
30 Logout
31 Attempt to login & user name gone--Click & Drag over user name & it becomes visible
32 Click password box--No cursor visible--Click & Drag--Nothing--click & type password--nothing shows--hit ENTER--logs in
33 All menus black--mouse-over brings each menu item into view then black when mouse-over next item
34 All sub menus = same as menus
35 Attempted to open Synaptic--all black background--mouseover = each line individually visible--totally unusable
36 Rebooted--logged in as "user"--OK
37 Determined that if I desire to become ROOT that I should reboot and log in to the user I desire.
38 I do not believe that "starting a parallel session" or logging out & back in will work on my system

I7-930
Asus P6-X58D mobo
6 Gig ram
4 SATA Drives (3 WD Raptor--1 Seagate)
1 SATA DVD/CD
Nvidia GTX550TI

There it is. May not be scientific or even correct, but the problems still exist with a totally new enstall. It seems that the Nvidia driver may be a contributing factor. I do not possess the required knowledge to attempt to install an earlier version of the Nvidia driver.

My next post will concern the confusion I am experiencing concerning the drive identifiers when adding another Mepis install to the menu.lst. That can wait for another day.

Jerry in Anchorage

Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:20 am
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Have thanks: 467 times
Post # 298888
The blackened menus and window fills I can attest to, the start parallel session as root I can not because AFAICT, there is next to no reason for ever needing to do that.

I believe there may be a bug in the Xorg libraries or a failure in the way they interact with some graphics drivers, such as those from Nvidia and ATI, but predominantly worse with Nvidia, but works fine with the likes of intel.

I have posted on this very thing and a temporary work-around is to change the theme to Air, but it fails at the next logoff/login if you have anything but the native xorg driver. Attempting to use anything other than the native driver causes the desktop toolbar and page fills to become black, which essentially makes the entire system next to unusable, click the link below to see my post on this exact issue.
viewtopic.php?f=82&t=32761&start=38

Using ATI drivers can have the same effect, however, not quite as bad in that the theme can be changed and mostly kept intact across X restarts, however in both cases, returning the driver to the same driver used at installation has the desktop looking normal again, although rather impoverished on the speed and features scale.

Mike P

Regd Linux User #472293
(1)Lenovo e520, i7-2640M, 8GB, 750GB Seagate Hybrid, MX-14.1_DVD (my own respin)
(2) Asus M4A88TD-M, AMD Phenom II x4 955 CPU, Radeon HD 4250, 4Gb, 1.5TB, antiX-13-64

Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:02 am
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post # 298893
I am running vanilla Mepis 11 32 bit on a Toshiba Satellite L650 with 2M of Ram and an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4500 Series.

My system has been very very stable all along until a week or so ago. I realized there was an issue after I tried to format the micro card I use in my smartphone, a week earlier I had installed virtual box with Windows 7. Then there was the issue with the parallel sessions and with dolphin crashing and the various freezing and power downs and reboots.

I really need my system to be reliable, stable and performing at it's best. What do you suggest?

Thanks,

Michel

Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:12 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next