View unanswered posts | View unsolved topics | View active topics |

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Boot problems yet again 
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Have thanks: 32 times
Post # 310781
Post Boot problems yet again
I went to boot this morning and ran into boot problems yet again. I am running from the disk at this point. Here is the last thread wehere we fought this trouble before for reference. http://forum.mepiscommunity.org/viewtopic.php?f=84&t=33839

The screen hangs up at boot splash screen after I have entered the password for the system.

I also checked the system using the check hardware option once while booting to the DVD and noticed that all partitions are telling me that I do not have any bootable partitions. With that, here is a screen shot of the partition manager showing the partitiona and nothing is noted on sda1 that says it's bootable. Should there be? Thanks
Attachment:
snapshot a1.png

I am tempted to re partition the entire drive and start over with the whole system.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:33 am
Profile WWW
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Have thanks: 892 times
Post # 310789
Post Re: Boot problems yet again
You can reset the sda1 partition (or whatever) as bootable using the Partition Manager from the bootable DVD. You can also use TestDisk.

Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:06 pm
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Post # 310797
lucky9 wrote:
You can reset the sda1 partition (or whatever) as bootable using the Partition Manager from the bootable DVD. You can also use TestDisk.

Thank you Lucky9. I did flag the sda1 partition as bootable using the partition manager. However, that didn't help. I am running on the disck again. Is there something else I should do other than "flag" it as bootable?

I may have to do another reinstall but, I think I have bigger problems with this machine. This is the third or fourth time this has happened in the last few months. I would think the HD could be going if this were the only symptom. The machine is loud like the processor fan is maxed out all the time- has been that way since new. I thought that it was just a loud fan when I first built this from a kit as it was my first build. Have tried to reset the processor to the MB and all that but, it runs loud anyway. So, could it be the processor? Maybe? The MB? Maybe? Not sure what direction to go in either case. New parts for this box? Or a new system? Don't really want to spend the $$, but it might be that or go to the laptop. YUK!

Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:27 pm
Profile WWW
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Post # 310799
I went back and looked again at the partition manager and looking at the properties of sda1 there is a box to check if you want to "recreate existing file system" (see screen shot).Is this something that will rebuild the partition and make it usable or will it make a mess? Thanks

Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:42 pm
Profile WWW
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post # 310801
From the booted LiveDVD run e2fsck /dev/sdaX (where X is the partition). It may just be a corrupt file system.
Running TestDisk (from a Konsole/Terminal) in the LiveDVD may also show something. It will make a partition bootable also. And it can restore an MBR if needed.

Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:36 pm
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Post # 310802
This is what comes back from that command. Looks clean.

Code:
[root@mepis1 demo]# e2fsck /dev/sda1
e2fsck 1.41.12 (17-May-2010)
/dev/sda1: clean, 144832/1281120 files, 1228595/5120710 blocks

Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:22 pm
Profile WWW
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post # 310803
Doesn't look like you need to recreate the file system. You've tried reinstalling GRUB from the LiveDVD? And have you tried to use the Mepis User Assistant to reset the KDE and Group settings?
Next thing I'd do is reinstalling with the Save /home setting. After backing up my data in /home. After that I'd do a clean install.

The fan noise sounds like the heatsink isn't tightened properly. But I do remember that Vantec fans are considerably noisier than most anything else.

Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:24 am
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Post # 310806
lucky9 wrote:
Doesn't look like you need to recreate the file system. You've tried reinstalling GRUB from the LiveDVD? And have you tried to use the Mepis User Assistant to reset the KDE and Group settings?
Next thing I'd do is reinstalling with the Save /home setting. After backing up my data in /home. After that I'd do a clean install.

The fan noise sounds like the heatsink isn't tightened properly. But I do remember that Vantec fans are considerably noisier than most anything else.

I ran th grub fix through the system assistant on the live DVD and thought it went well as it says that grub installed ok but, then if I click the ok button at the bottom of that page, it flashes up a warning that grub install failed.

Have never used the user assistant to reset kde. Just what do you mean? Thanks.

Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:19 am
Profile WWW
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Post # 310807
Okay, I have tried to run the repair partition option inside the system assistant several times before and it would come back rather quicly after saying it would take a long time. This time it actually took a long time and this is what it came back with. What does this tell me? (see screen shot) Thanks

Attachment:
snapshot2.png

Then I went back and ran the repair grub option and this is what I got.Not looking too good.
I guess I need to reinstall the system but, I hate then having to re install all the stuff I have installed since then like all the software add ons etc.
Attachment:
snapshot3.png

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:09 am
Profile WWW
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Post # 310809
Here is what I usually get in running the repair partition option in system assistant. It says the partition is mounted and cannot do the repair but if I look at kwick disck the partition is not mounted. ( I cannot get a screen shot while kwick is up)

Attachment:
snapshot4.png

Is there anyway to copy my root partition to somewhere that I can do a reinstall and then get me back to where I am minus the problems, without doing all the updates and remembering just what I had loaded before? Thanks

Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:13 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next