MEPIS Community Forum

A Linux operating system based on Debian Stable
View unanswered posts | View unsolved topics | View active topics |

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
How to get acces to files on CPU1 from CPU2? 
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Have thanks: 4 times
Post # 299460
Post How to get acces to files on CPU1 from CPU2?
I have a duo core machine which runs Mepis 11.
I have Mepis because it works and protects my wife from malware and viruses off the internet.
So I have one computer and two users.
Oft time she wants to use the machine when I do or visa versa.
I got an old dell machine from the dump with Windows XP. 1.7gz P4 I think.
It works but I don't want XP except for very specific things. XP is not very fast and it does have security risks I do not want.
I tried to partition the hd but I can't get any partition software to work - not in Windows (Partition Magic) or Linux (gparted). Maybe due to it being SCSI Harddrive? :confused:
So I can't put Mepis on the XP machine (would have just copied my files over via USB stick)
I can use puplinux off a CD but then realized the my files and things that I am working on are all on the Mepis machine and I am not sure the puplinux will work with my files.
I have dropbox but it's already getting full (and I have about 28 gigs or stuff!) but I can use xmarks for bookmarks.
I thought a thin client would do well and just run it from the Dell and access my machine.
We have a common router as both access the router to get to the internet.
So I thought I would try my hand at LTSP with Mepis.
I can't get it to work! :bawling:
Not great documentation out there either. Frustrating!
So any suggestions? Maybe Samba? But not sure how....

I use to have an Amiga 2000 and 1000 (still have both machines-2000 won't boot anymore-shame) and used a serial cable to run a stock car race game where two people could race against each other, both controlling their own cars, both being able to see from their own view point. Pretty cool for machines built in the late 80s!

Fri May 04, 2012 1:16 am
Administrator

Have thanks: 1414 times
Post # 299466
Post Re: How to get acces to files on CPU1 from CPU2?
The wiki:

http://www.mepis.org/docs/en/index.php?title=SAMBA

Rich

Acer Laptop V5-572G: Intel i5, 12 GIG mem, nVidia GT720M/Intel integrated graphics
Mx-14 Symbiosis
Kubuntu 13.10, KDE 4.11.2

Fri May 04, 2012 6:50 am
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Have thanks: 78 times
Post # 299468
Not exactly sure what it is your really need to do (CPU1 from CPU2??) If it is simply accessing files on one computer from another, then as Rich suggests, Samba is one way to go. You could invest in a NAS drive (hard drive in caddy connected to your home network for sharing files). I remember attempting LTSP on Mepis 8 unsuccessfully, but that was probably just me..Likely thing is that the laptop you found in the dump while has reasonable CPU, probably doesn't have much RAM ?512mb? so won't run Mepis (or most other current distros) so you will have to deal with that.

For partitioning a windows install, try Hiren's Boot CD: http://www.hirensbootcd.org/ (boot to mini XP then use disk partitioning tool) you should then be good to install any light weight distro of your choice.

You could install Mepis then install LXDE or similar lightweight desktop manager...

Choices choices!

::AMD Phenom II X2 550 BE 3.1GHz::Gigabyte GA-MA785GMT-UD2H::Crucial 2gig DDR3 1333MHz/PC3-10600::Hitachi DeskStar 1TB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache::
::O² Joggler::

Fri May 04, 2012 7:42 am
Profile WWW
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Have thanks: 598 times
Post # 299473
You could set up ssh on one computer (try to log in to ssh from the other to make sure the connection is working and there's no firewall blocking ssh connections) and then access the files on the computer using sftp://user@computername/folder in Konq (I think it works in Dolphin too).

Fri May 04, 2012 9:27 am
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Location: Midway between the Washington State rainforest, ocean and volcanoes
Have thanks: 69 times
Post # 299506
I just got done working on a friend's old machine ( P4 with 256MB RAM ). His XP finally borked due to viruses ( I was amazed it ran at all ).

I strongly recommend trying antiX http://antix.mepis.org as it made his machine operational.

Quote:
antiX is a fast, lightweight and easy to install linux live CD distribution based on Debian Testing and MEPIS for Intel-AMD x86 compatible systems. antiX offers users the "Magic of Mepis" in an environment suitable for old computers. So don't throw away that old computer yet! The goal of antiX is to provide a light, but fully functional and flexible free operating system for both newcomers and experienced users of Linux. It should run on most computers, ranging from 64MB old PII 266 systems with pre-configured 128MB swap to the latest powerful boxes. 128MB RAM is recommended minimum for antiX. The installer needs minimum 2.2GB hard disk size. antiX can also be used as a fast-booting rescue cd.

Use unetbootin http://www.mepis.org/docs/en/index.php?title=Unetbootin ( it will become a fav tool after a few uses ) to 'burn' the antiX image onto an usb stick. You seem to have enough knowledge to start here - come back if you have any issues.

Good luck

Fri May 04, 2012 3:29 pm
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post # 299665
It's me again.
Seems my XP machine had cluster problems which is why I could not get gparted to work. Once I got out the HIRES CD I was able to do checkdisk and fix the problem. Then gparted worked (Mepis 6.2 CD) and I was able to resize my HD and get a distribution on it.
I put on Vector Linux because it's suppose to be fast - but it isn't. Will take it off, and install Mepis 8.5. I have Mepis 11 on CPU1.
Anyway, I tried a remote program and it worked. I can access my files on CPU1 from CPU2 but this will not work for what I want to do. I want to be able to work on CPU1 and my wife work on CPU2 at the same time but you can only run one x session at a time so this will not work for me - probably the same for SAMBA and SSH.
So I am thinking about going to a thin client situation. :crossfingers:

Any suggestions?

Tue May 08, 2012 9:34 pm
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Have thanks: 78 times
Post # 299675
Two users on one PC simultaneously means LTSP. One easy way to do it (presuming you have two network cards on the machine and enough RAM ~1gig min)) is try Ubuntu's install menu option (see: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ubunt ... ickInstall ) - not tried this recently, and their documentation gets out dated very quickly, but it may be one way to test this.

Getting LTSP working in Debian is a little more involved still, and untested in Mepis so would be ground breaking stuff if it works. I can probably help being an LTSP system admin, but I don't visit the forums so often these days so not sure how quickly I could respond to any queries you would have.

::AMD Phenom II X2 550 BE 3.1GHz::Gigabyte GA-MA785GMT-UD2H::Crucial 2gig DDR3 1333MHz/PC3-10600::Hitachi DeskStar 1TB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache::
::O² Joggler::

Wed May 09, 2012 5:01 am
Profile WWW
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post # 299937
I have been looking up info on thin clients, but I have found nothing related to Mepis and it seems it will take some doing.
I found out about multiseat abilities of Linux and will probably proceed with that, using only the monitor and keyboard and mouse.
Still trying to get info on multiseat but it looks easier to do than a thin client.

Wed May 16, 2012 6:49 pm
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Have thanks: 376 times
Post # 299939
multiseat is not a term that is used with linux. linux IS, at it's very core, a TRUE multi-user system. THE only limit to the number of users comes down to available resources on the server being accessed. the way you're talking, you're almost applying a windows licensing scheme to linux.

you can have multiple people access the box using some form of remote desktop, you can have thin clients, you can X clients that simply redirect output, there are any number of various ways to get folks access to linux. if it's linux, and specifically debian, then it's mepis.

Wed May 16, 2012 9:31 pm
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Have thanks: 139 times
Post # 299940
If you are talking about cpu1 & cpu2 in the core duo machine and wanting each person to use 1 or the other cpu to my knowledge that is not possible as the machine does not work that way. If you are talking about sharing files between the duo core machine and the laptop you found then you simply need samba and set up file sharing for both computers to access the files on the duo core machine at the same time. The duo core machine will do the tasking to each core (cpu) as needed during use. Both machines should run fairly fast and both should handle samba just fine. :needcoffee:
PS: I can't remember but I think 8.5 comes with samba preinstalled but someone will have to verify if thats fact or not.

Wed May 16, 2012 9:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next