Unstable system

Help for Mepis 11
Message
Author
User avatar
michelmassoud
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Posts: 805
Age: 57
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:02 am

Unstable system

#1 Postby michelmassoud » Sat May 05, 2012 3:24 am

My system freezes whenever I try to run a parallel session or when I try to log out of X with ctrl + allt + F1 on my Toshiba Satellite L650 2M ram with ATI RAdeon Mobility HD 4500 and Mepis 32bit.

Any thought would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Michel

User avatar
mdmarmer
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Posts: 228
Age: 68
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2006 2:27 pm

Re: Unstable system

#2 Postby mdmarmer » Sat May 05, 2012 7:04 pm

Are u able to reboot the system with Magic Sys Request?
http://www.brunolinux.com/01-First_Thin ... hants.html

Or Ctrl-Alt-Bksp (try that before you try Raising Skinny Elephants)?

Is there anything in the logs to help you determine the problem?

Is it a true kernel panic? (system is still frozen after trying both of the above and Num Lock and Caps Look lights are flashing)?

Even if it is a true kernel panic (very unlikely) there may be something in the log files to diagnose the problem. You give us no diagnostic info, no one will be able to help you.

You may want to try changing xorg.conf or using a different kernel.

Mike

User avatar
timkb4cq
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Posts: 3404
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:05 pm

Re: Unstable system

#3 Postby timkb4cq » Sat May 05, 2012 8:52 pm

You might try using the boot cheatcode radeon.modeset=0
Some ati chipsets have issues with the version of radeon driver that ships with MEPIS 11. If the cheatcode works but causes other issues (such as an incorrect resolution) you may need to upgrade your kernel & xserver.
MSI 970A-G43 MB, AMD FX-6300 (six core), 16GB RAM, GeForce 730, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD, Seagate Barracuda XT 3TB

User avatar
michelmassoud
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Posts: 805
Age: 57
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:02 am

Re: Unstable system

#4 Postby michelmassoud » Sun May 06, 2012 6:27 am

mdmarmer wrote:Are u able to reboot the system with Magic Sys Request?
http://www.brunolinux.com/01-First_Thin ... hants.html

Or Ctrl-Alt-Bksp (try that before you try Raising Skinny Elephants)?

Is there anything in the logs to help you determine the problem?

Is it a true kernel panic? (system is still frozen after trying both of the above and Num Lock and Caps Look lights are flashing)?

Even if it is a true kernel panic (very unlikely) there may be something in the log files to diagnose the problem. You give us no diagnostic info, no one will be able to help you.

You may want to try changing xorg.conf or using a different kernel.

Mike


Thanks,

I tried ctrl + alt + esc and alt + prtrsc + K but not ctrl + alt + backspace or the skinny elephants protocol. But my issue is not how to get out of the freeze but rather how to avoid freezing in the first place.

Michel

User avatar
michelmassoud
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Posts: 805
Age: 57
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:02 am

Re: Unstable system

#5 Postby michelmassoud » Sun May 06, 2012 6:40 am

timkb4cq wrote:You might try using the boot cheatcode radeon.modeset=0
Some ati chipsets have issues with the version of radeon driver that ships with MEPIS 11. If the cheatcode works but causes other issues (such as an incorrect resolution) you may need to upgrade your kernel & xserver.


I already have that boot line cheat code and everything was running fine. It's either an upgrade or the fact that I installed virtual box that caused the problem.

Is it better to upgrade kernel and xserver (don't know how to do that!) or just roll back and use the non proprietary driver (I was trying to do that by loging out of X to run sgfxi -! -32 but the system keeps freezing!) Or just hold on until Mepis 12 comes along and I re-install the OS?

Thanks,

Michel

User avatar
michelmassoud
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Posts: 805
Age: 57
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:02 am

Re: Unstable system

#6 Postby michelmassoud » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:36 am

I managed to boot in command mode by adding "3" at the end of the command line in Grub. ran Sgfxi and now my system is stable. It was all a video issue.

I hope Mepis 12 will help us deal with all the Nvidea, Ati and Intel video driver problems.

Michel

User avatar
Zevon
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Posts: 549
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:23 am

Re: Unstable system

#7 Postby Zevon » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:14 am

michelmassoud wrote:I managed to boot in command mode by adding "3" at the end of the command line in Grub. ran Sgfxi and now my system is stable. It was all a video issue.

I hope Mepis 12 will help us deal with all the Nvidea, Ati and Intel video driver problems.

Michel
Add a "me too" as it would be a great relief not to worry about xorg updates messing things up, video-wise.

User avatar
uncle mark
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Posts: 5360
Age: 2015
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:42 pm

Re: Unstable system

#8 Postby uncle mark » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:49 pm

Zevon wrote:Add a "me too" as it would be a great relief not to worry about xorg updates messing things up, video-wise.


That's what pinning is for.
Desktop: Custom build Asus/AMD/nVidia -- MX-15 KDE, MEPIS 11
Laptop: Acer Aspire 5250 -- MX-15

User avatar
Zevon
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Posts: 549
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:23 am

Re: Unstable system

#9 Postby Zevon » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:14 am

uncle mark wrote:
Zevon wrote:Add a "me too" as it would be a great relief not to worry about xorg updates messing things up, video-wise.


That's what pinning is for.
The key word for me was, updates. :)

User avatar
joany
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Posts: 6118
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:45 pm

Re: Unstable system

#10 Postby joany » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:09 pm

uncle mark wrote:That's what pinning is for.

And that's what backing up /etc/X11/xorg.conf is for. :wink:

A side note: If your system is working properly, installing a new video driver is more likely to cause harm than good ... just based on my experience.
MX-14; 3.12-0.bpo.1-686-pae kernel using 4GB RAM
2.4GHz AMD Athlon 4600+
NVidia GeForce 6150 LE; 304.121 Display Driver
You didn't slow down because you're old; you're old because you slowed down.


Return to “Mepis 11”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest