View unanswered posts | View unsolved topics | View active topics |

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Audacity problems 
MEPIS Rules!
MEPIS Rules!

Have thanks: 4 times
Post # 299988
Post Audacity problems
I am trying to record from a tape using Audacity on Mepis 11.

I seem to be able to exoprt the recording OK as an mp3 file, but the problem comes earlier with the actual recording. Instead of recording the whole 15-20 minutes of the tape, which I want to do, it seems to be concatenating a series of short clips from the input. This is what I would expect if I had used the Pause button regularly, which I did not. All that results is about one and a half minutes of short clips, all joined together.

I believe I have the two necessary extra lib files available, as the actual export as mp3 seems to work OK.
:mad:

Fri May 18, 2012 9:43 am
MEPIS is cool!
MEPIS is cool!

Have thanks: 58 times
Post # 299989
Post Re: Audacity problems
I use Audacity to make recordings of over 1 hour in length without any problems. Audacity's recording process is to do it in very short clips (blocks) and store each clip as a seperate file these are stored in the "filename"_data folder. The "filename".aup file contains the instructions to Audacity on how to reassemble (contantate) the files in the _data folder to make your complete recording. If something happens to the .aup file it is almost impossible for a human to reassemble the short clips in the _data folder to get things back into a usable audio file.

You have noticed that as you are recording the display is not progressing smoothly. This is just an assumption on my part that this is caused by the way that Audacity is written, the pauses are during the time that Audacity is storing off a clip/block of audio in that it can't do two things at the same time (store and update the display) and storing is more important. Note it does not stop recording during the store time.

I hope this is a help to you. Happy Audacitying

Steve

~Krispy Kritter~

Toshiba Satellite A215-S7427(AMD-64)
Windows7/M11(KDE4.6.5)/M11(RoadblockTRK2-32)'buntus13.1/MX14b2/Tanglu1.0

Fri May 18, 2012 10:14 am
Profile WWW
MEPIS Rules!
MEPIS Rules!

Post # 299990
Thanks indeed for your comments. I'll have to have another go sometime soon. It sounds like I tried to jump one or more steps in the process, by going from the initial recording process to saving as an mp3 file. I must try and understand the steps involved.

Fri May 18, 2012 10:49 am
MEPIS is cool!
MEPIS is cool!

Post # 299993
You should be able to make the recording in Audacity, do any processing that you desire, (noise removal, applification (I always amplify the file to a max of -0.7db) and then Go to File -> Export then select the format you desire IE mp3, wav, etc (use wav if you want to burn to a CD) with out any problems.

There is one caviot Audacity and Dropbox do not play well together. I have found if you put Audacity files in Dropbox not everything gets there. It has to do with the way that Dropbox compresses files. Therefore if you want to use Dropbox please convert the files to some format before placing them in Dropbox. Personally I am using .flac. It gives a good compression and does not loose any fidality.

My standard file processing is first to run the noise removal program, this gets rid of any unwanted noise from the recording and also removes any DC offset that is on the tracks. Then if it is a voice recording run a compressior on it. Then do the amplifiction as the last step. If you are doing compression let me know and I will point you to one that is better than the one that is included with Audacity.

I did have a problem at one time storing off an audacity session after editing the file before the initial save. This occurred on another OS who's name starts with a "U". So just to be safe do a "store" before editing. Anyway that will give you a place to fall back to if something goes terriably wrong.

Steve

~Krispy Kritter~

Fri May 18, 2012 11:22 am

KrispyKritter thanked by: lucky9
Profile WWW
MEPIS is cool!
MEPIS is cool!

Have thanks: 67 times
Post # 299998
I'm still recording my vinyl records using Audacity. I ussually have the whole album saved as one aup file. It's also the first thing I do once I finish the recording process. I also save the file after every operation. Only once I know I have a good CD and mp3 files do I delete the aup file.

Fri May 18, 2012 1:34 pm
MEPIS Rules!
MEPIS Rules!

Post # 300235
Back again! I have taken the advice about saving etc., and still it is not working properly as far as I can see. I saved the project immediately after recording, as advised, and then did a trial export as a .wav file. When I now play this file using a player program it plays a series of short extracts only from the original.

I did the Audacity work on the Linux machine, but the player behaviour is the same on M11 and on WinXP.

The original record in Audacity was done as one continuous operation.

Thu May 24, 2012 5:09 am
MEPIS is cool!
MEPIS is cool!

Post # 300322
Is there any way I could get access to the .wav file? If you have a dropbox place it there and give me the link to it.

Steve

~Krispy Kritter~

Fri May 25, 2012 6:04 pm
Profile WWW
MEPIS Rules!
MEPIS Rules!

Post # 300330
Thanks. The file is basically un-edited at present. I think you should find it at

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3538905/Webstu ... lliams.wav

Sat May 26, 2012 4:29 am
MEPIS is cool!
MEPIS is cool!

Have thanks: 67 times
Post # 300340
Took a listen and it does sound bad. Not just the stopping, but it also fades in and out a little. Are we sure the tape plays good by itself? Have you tried recording from a record album or another source? Are the cables good? Try recording with a different PC? I'm really expecting this to be hardware problems.

Sat May 26, 2012 7:48 am
MEPIS Rules!
MEPIS Rules!

Post # 300341
It is a poor tape - I guess done somewhere (or copied) by a non-tech person. I think the hardware ois OK, it's just the stopping every so often which is puzzling me.

I have tried using another tape where the quality is better, but the stopping persisted.

Sat May 26, 2012 8:35 am
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next