View unanswered posts | View unsolved topics | View active topics |

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Audacity problems 
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Have thanks: 58 times
Post # 300389
Post Re: Audacity problems
I gave the file a look and it appears that Audacity is recording as it should. The next thing I would do is listen to the source as I recorded it to see if it drops out during the record process. If it does then it is a source problem and not a Audacity or computer problem. Depending upon your sound card it maybe possible to Edit the recording preferences in audacity to enable play-through. This only will work on mono recordings, but doing a mono recording will allow you to hear what is actually getting recorded by audacity,

Let me know what happens and if you haven't found the problem I have some other tricks left.

Steve

~Krispy Kritter~

Toshiba Satellite A215-S7427(AMD-64)
Windows7/M11(KDE4.6.5)/M11(RoadblockTRK2-32)'buntus13.1/MX14b2/Tanglu1.0

Sat May 26, 2012 8:55 pm
Profile WWW
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Have thanks: 4 times
Post # 300395
I have not yet had time to repeat the recording, but I did listen to it on play through as it was being recorded, and the sound was all there during the recording process, so apart from the poor-ish tape quality there was nothing missing. It is only when I try to listen to it within Audacity or listen to the .wav output file that chunks of sound are missing.

I just wondered whether I have some Audacity setting wrong that limits the file size of the individual clips, for it seems to be those that are getting truncated.

Sun May 27, 2012 4:07 am
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post # 300407
If the tape was bad I would expect to see the sound drop out at a regular interval due to the tape pulling away from the read head due to it holding the shape of being wound in the cassette for a very long time. Normally the sound would not completely drop out, but the amplitude would decrease. The dropouts that I saw in the waveform were not at a regular interval nor where they of a given length.

I listened to the file and from what I heard it sounds like audacity didn't put the file back together properly along with dropping files. My first question is does this happen with other tapes? Second can you record from another source and if so does the same thing happen? I am assuming you have the tape deck attached to the mic input of the computer by a cable. Third was this wav file exported from the original record session or from a reload of the Audacity files. Second assumption the original wave form from the record session does not exhibit these problems when you listen to it. If it does show the same problems then I think it is an Audacity problem not a recording equipment or source problem.

When Audacity records it stores the recording info in some temp location and it remains there until you tell it to store it somewhere.

My suggestion is to make another recording and listen to it in Audacity before doing anything to it. If it doesn't sound good then we need to look at Audacity and its settings. If it is good then export the file as .wav. Then open the wav file in Audacity and listen to it again and if it sounds good that says the export/import process is good. If it sounds bad open it with VLC or some other program if it sounds good then Audacity has problems importing files. Then open the Audacity file with Audacity and listen to it to see if it is good.

When you are recording does Audacity appear to update the waveform on the screen smoothly during the entire record process or does it just go so far and then stop?

Steve

~Krispy Kritter~

Sun May 27, 2012 4:07 pm
Profile WWW
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post # 300425
Thanks for your very detailed reply. I'm pretty experienced with audio stuff, and I'm quite sure that the tape's signal is getting through to Audacity OK, backed up by the fact that for several tries I listend to the play-through which was as good as the original tape. And yes, the tape deck is connected to the mic input by a cable. In case the cable was suspect (thought there was no reason to suspect that!) I made up a dedicated cable but that made no difference. In answer to your third question, the .wav file I exported and put up on dropbox was exported directly after recording so as to be sure there could be nothing I had done by editing to cause the problem. Exactly the same "cutting" appears if I try to play back the recording within Audacity, so I really think it must be an Audacity problem - may be I have some setting wrong in Preferences, though I can't see a problem there.

When I am recording, Audacity updates the waveforms in blocks, usually with a short delay, but as far as I have been able to tell I don't think it goes so far and then stops; the blocks are appearing all the time I'm recording.

I have tried another tape too, just in case I've missed something, but with the same results.

Mon May 28, 2012 4:23 am
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Have thanks: 67 times
Post # 300426
The graphic waveform updates in blocks as I'm recording as well, but I don't get those drop outs. If you listen to the audio while recording, try turning that off. Also don't have any other application running while recording, including being connected to the internet.

Mon May 28, 2012 7:38 am
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post # 300432
I am as confused as you are. So here are some more questions or wonders or commits. I am running Mepis 11 Roadblock CR2-64 on a Amd Computer (Laptop with 4Gig of memory) My Audacity is a default download from the repos. The only tweaks were to inputs via KMix. I don't know how this compares to your system.

If you have Conky setup on your system use it to check if you are pushing things, memory, processors, disc space, etc. I don't think this is happening (grabbing at straws).

Try ripping a track from a CD with K3b into a wav file. This will give you a valid wav file to test from. Open it with Audacity and see if it is the way it should be. This will eliminate the record process. If this fails, using synaptic completely remove Audacity. Shutdown the computer for over 30 seconds, this will remove any residual Audacity information from the computer's memory. Using Synaptic reinstall Audacity from the repos and try the CD wav track again.

If this is a multi-boot system try it on the other operating system or if you have another computer try Audacity there.

The conclusion that I have reached at this time is Audacity is having problems when it comes to writing to the disc, I would expect to see something like this if you were recording to a flash drive or external hard drive because of buffering and write delays.

I have a personal question which is, where are you located. The reason I ask is we might want to setup a teamview or a chat/video session. You can PM or email me this information if you desire. I have noticed that your replies are at around 2 AM my time.

Steve

~Krispy Kritter~

Mon May 28, 2012 11:42 am
Profile WWW
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post # 300437
I'll try the CD idea, but it might be a day or two before I get the chance now. (I've never had any problems with copying CDs and DVDs with k3b).

Plenty of disc space, memory etc., doubt there could be a problem there. I do have another PC with WinXP on it, but it'll be a big hassle to get physical access to the audio input sockets just now. I guess I could do the CD input thing though - I'll think about that - but it might merely get past the problem.

I'll also perhaps try the synaptic complete-delete and re-install idea if the CD test doesn't help. Thinking about it, that might be a good idea to start with, as it's relatively easy to do.

My location is the very southern edge of the UK.

Mon May 28, 2012 2:38 pm
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post # 300440
Toastrack wrote:
My location is the very southern edge of the UK.

I had a feeling you in that part of the world. I regularly correspond (2 or 3 times a week) with John Danum up in Doncaster and I am familiar with the 6 hour time difference between us.

The other computer thing was a last resort idea to be tried if all else fails. I was hoping you might be running a multi-boot computer where it would allow you to use the same hardware, but different software.

Steve

~Krispy Kritter~

Mon May 28, 2012 4:35 pm
Profile WWW
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post # 300797
I have tried many of the recommendations so far, and Audacity is still only recording short clips from the original.

In response to an earlier recommendation I tried to install Audacity 2, available from sourceforge but not in synaptic. (I fully un-installed the Audacity 1.3 first") The download and unpack went OK, and typing "./configure" ran, but with a warning about being unable to find wxwidget. Typing "make" caused everything to hang, including the keyboard response.

Please, how should I install this version in Mepis 11 ? It would be great if I could find it in Synaptic and then let it self-install! :confused:

Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:09 am
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Have thanks: 890 times
Post # 300817
You would have to add Testing or Sid repositories to Synaptic. And you might have to change Preferences also. If you do this be sure to pay attention to what Synaptic wants to remove/change besides Audacity. It may not be possible to install unless you compile source code (if possible at all).

Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:31 pm
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2