LiveDVD + first install black screen on ATI HD 4200

Help for Mepis 11
JBoman
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Re: LiveDVD + first install black screen on ATI HD 4200

#11 Postby JBoman » Wed May 30, 2012 12:49 am

MikeyD wrote:Thanks again for all your support.

I installed sgfxi, and as I was warned earlier might happen, I broke my desktop.
I also recovered my desktop and discovered synaptic is not working.
I don't have time to continue with this tonight, so tomorrow I'll perform a complete install once again then I'll follow these steps to get my Radeon HD 4200 working.

boot liveCD by changing vga=788 to vga=873
boot installation by adding command line radeon.modeset=0
update with synaptic all updates.
Download and run smxi and use it only to install my graphics drivers per it's recommendation (I used radeon flgrx driver)
Then I can get back to installing Apache, MYsql and PHP likely using smxi again.

That's it.

I noticed while using smxi that some installs break other things and removals are poorly implemented. I wanted to only remove the bluetooth drivers since my laptop has no bluetooth support and it also removed KDE-window-manager among others, and orphaned a bunch of plasma stuff. Not good at all. I used it to reinstall my KDE desktop but then synaptic was not working and a basically any app that required root wouldn't launch. So I will start over tomorrow cuz it will be faster than trying to fix all the problems I created. Good thing this a fresh install.

Thanks for your help guys.

Other opinions may differ but I find smxi works best on a previously fully updated/upgraded system with the community repositories enabled. You can check your /etc/apt/sources.list with this example from the wiki... >>> http://www.mepis.org/docs/en/index.php? ... t_MEPIS_11
:snail: Jerry
http://patentabsurdity.com/
AMD 64x2 2.6GHz 4GB ram MX-15 regular updates
"beware a frequent flirt with potential disaster"

Eadwine Rose
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#12 Postby Eadwine Rose » Wed May 30, 2012 12:59 am

boot liveCD by changing vga=788 to vga=873 and adding command line radeon.modeset=0

Might not be needed to add that line to the boot after installing. I don't have to do that in any case, and yep.. black screen here too with the livecd without that radeon line :smile:
MX-15_x64 Fusion 24 Dec 2015 ext4 Xfce 4.12.2 * AMD Asus M4A785TD-V EVO AM3 * ASUS GeForce GT640-1GD5-L * AMD Processor Athlon II X4 635, sAM3 * HDA ATI SB (VT1708S Analog) * 2x4Gb DDR3 1600 Kingston * 22" Samsung SyncMaster P2250 * HP DeskJet F2280

JimC
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#13 Postby JimC » Wed May 30, 2012 10:28 am

MikeyD wrote:I installed sgfxi, and as I was warned earlier might happen, I broke my desktop.

What happened after running it (and I'm assuming you followed the instructions in the wiki by using CTRL+ALT+F1, then logging in as root and running sgfxi)?

Note that you'll often need to run it more than once. IOW, I'd run sgfxi more than once even if it appears to complete OK.

Then, if you reboot and your desktop doesn't load, you can usually press CTRL+ALT+F1 and get to a login prompt and run it again.

That happens to me about every other time I use sgfxi for upgrading my video driver (install fails and I end up rebooting into a black screen when it attempts to start X). But, I can just press CTRL+ALT+F1, login as root, and and it usually runs and works OK the next time around.

Paul771
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#14 Postby Paul771 » Wed May 30, 2012 10:54 am

Hello

I confirm

blank (black !) screen after first screen (default, etc) in an Asus X73S

Can you help us please. Thanks

uncle mark
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#15 Postby uncle mark » Wed May 30, 2012 10:58 am

Paul771 wrote:Hello

I confirm

blank (black !) screen after first screen (default, etc) in an Asus X73S

Can you help us please. Thanks

Assuming you're talking about the live disk, using the cheatcodes

confx vga=vesa

should at least get you a screen.

Then post your graphics card specs and we can assist from there.
Desktop: Custom build Asus/AMD/nVidia -- MX-15 KDE, MEPIS 11
Laptop: Acer Aspire 5250 -- MX-15

uncle mark
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#16 Postby uncle mark » Wed May 30, 2012 11:12 am

JimC wrote:
MikeyD wrote:I installed sgfxi, and as I was warned earlier might happen, I broke my desktop.

What happened after running it (and I'm assuming you followed the instructions in the wiki by using CTRL+ALT+F1, then logging in as root and running sgfxi)?

Note that you'll often need to run it more than once. IOW, I'd run sgfxi more than once even if it appears to complete OK.

Then, if you reboot and your desktop doesn't load, you can usually press CTRL+ALT+F1 and get to a login prompt and run it again.

That happens to me about every other time I use sgfxi for upgrading my video driver (install fails and I end up rebooting into a black screen when it attempts to start X). But, I can just press CTRL+ALT+F1, login as root, and and it usually runs and works OK the next time around.

Good catch. I should have mentioned that as well before telling the OP to run it.

To the OP: in some instances, the first time you run sgfxi it removes/blacklists the current driver, but doesn't get the new proprietary driver fully installed. Running it the second time completes the process.

Could this be added to the Wiki page?

kmathern
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#17 Postby kmathern » Wed May 30, 2012 11:19 am

uncle mark wrote: ... confx vga=vesa ...

That's close, actually it's

Code: Select all

confx xdrvr=vesa

uncle mark
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#18 Postby uncle mark » Wed May 30, 2012 11:21 am

I think maybe I should just unsubscribe...

Paul771
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#19 Postby Paul771 » Wed May 30, 2012 12:03 pm

kmathern wrote:

Code: Select all

confx xdrvr=vesa

Thks for your answer and I meant the live DVD, of course.

Here are details about my graphic card, given by the Windows utility Piriform Speccy

and there is an NVIDIA GEForce GT 540M which doesn't appear here too

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

So sorry but confx xdrvr=vesa doesn't change anything. After the screen (default etc) there is a very long text but I don't any possibility to copy it. After there is a black (blank) screen and I must exit manually.

lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#20 Postby lucky9 » Wed May 30, 2012 12:14 pm

Don't worry, for a subscribed you're doing well.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

Return to “Mepis 11”