OpenGL and Intel

Help for Mepis 11 modified with a non-Mepis kernel, upgraded KDE. or base repositories other than Debian squeeze
Message
Author
User avatar
richb
Administrator
Posts: 12929
Age: 71
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:17 pm

Re: OpenGL and Intel

#11 Postby richb » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:47 pm

kmathern wrote:Does it work without an xorg.conf?
I'm just curious about it because I don't think you should need an xorg.conf file.

It would also be nice to know, so we know what to tell other users with the same hardware.

It does work without the xorg.conf.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

Rich

Laptop: Acer V5-572G: Intel i5, 12 GIG mem, Intel graphics, SanDisk SSD, 256GB
Virtualbox: Win 7
Desktop: MX-15- 64, AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, fglrx driver, 16 GIG Mem. Samsung EVO SSD 250 GB

User avatar
JBoman
Forum Guide
Forum Guide
Posts: 1459
Age: 58
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:30 pm

Re: OpenGL and Intel

#12 Postby JBoman » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:01 pm

richb wrote:
kmathern wrote:Does it work without an xorg.conf?
I'm just curious about it because I don't think you should need an xorg.conf file.

It would also be nice to know, so we know what to tell other users with the same hardware.

It does work without the xorg.conf.


Wow!, please explain why it's no longer needed and if that goes for other kernels as well. Is it built in or whats different. Thanks, Jerry
http://patentabsurdity.com/
AMD 64x2 2.6GHz 4GB ram M-11.9.92 kernel 3.10-3-amd64 kde 4.11.5 mixed/unstable
"beware a frequent flirt with potential disaster"

User avatar
DBeckett
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Posts: 3064
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 3:59 pm

Re: OpenGL and Intel

#13 Postby DBeckett » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:52 pm

.
FWIW......

It is my understanding that only Nvidia cards need xorg.conf. My Thinkpad (Intel) does not use it and works fine. I recently installed Mepis 11 to a friend's eMachines e-250 netbook (with Intel graphics). It was behaving badly until I found it had created and was using xorg.conf. I renamed that, rebooted, and all was well.
Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3, AMD FX-6100 hex-core, 3.3GHz, 8G, Radeon HD6570

User avatar
richb
Administrator
Posts: 12929
Age: 71
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:17 pm

Re: OpenGL and Intel

#14 Postby richb » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:16 pm

Solve one problem and create another. With the Liquorix kernel suspend to ram no longer works.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

Rich

Laptop: Acer V5-572G: Intel i5, 12 GIG mem, Intel graphics, SanDisk SSD, 256GB
Virtualbox: Win 7
Desktop: MX-15- 64, AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, fglrx driver, 16 GIG Mem. Samsung EVO SSD 250 GB

User avatar
ErikP
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice
Posts: 58
Joined: Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:47 pm

Re: OpenGL and Intel

#15 Postby ErikP » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:25 pm

I am in the same position with Intel video on my compaq presario C500. OpenGL crashes KWin - sometimes with a recoverable segment fault and sometimes more thoroughly. This is a clean install (with preserved home) of Danum's 32bit "Roadblock" KDE 4.7.4 and sgfxi created an xorg.conf when first run.

Kinfo reports Open GL is 1.4 Mesa 7.10.3 and Intel chipset 94* GM* integrated mobile graphics controller.

I will try the liquorix kernel and report back.

User avatar
richb
Administrator
Posts: 12929
Age: 71
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:17 pm

Re: OpenGL and Intel

#16 Postby richb » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:31 pm

ErikP wrote:I am in the same position with Intel video on my compaq presario C500. OpenGL crashes KWin - sometimes with a recoverable segment fault and sometimes more thoroughly. This is a clean install (with preserved home) of Danum's 32bit "Roadblock" KDE 4.7.4 and sgfxi created an xorg.conf when first run.

Kinfo reports Open GL is 1.4 Mesa 7.10.3 and Intel chipset 94* GM* integrated mobile graphics controller.

I will try the liquorix kernel and report back.

There is also an updated kernel in the Community Repositories. That is the one I settled on and solved the suspend to ram issue as well. But i am also using an updated xorg.conf from squeeze backports.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

Rich

Laptop: Acer V5-572G: Intel i5, 12 GIG mem, Intel graphics, SanDisk SSD, 256GB
Virtualbox: Win 7
Desktop: MX-15- 64, AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, fglrx driver, 16 GIG Mem. Samsung EVO SSD 250 GB

User avatar
ErikP
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice
Posts: 58
Joined: Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:47 pm

Re: OpenGL and Intel

#17 Postby ErikP » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:27 pm

No. Liquorix enabled partial implementation. I tried the latest two kernels. One allowed a stumbling use of Open GL but still crashed KWin. I have decided to live without some animation because the rest of KDE 4.7.4 seems worth the loss. I have reinstalled Roadblock. EDIT Oops just seen RichB's response. I'll check out that kernel. Thanks very much.

User avatar
ErikP
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice
Posts: 58
Joined: Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:47 pm

Re: OpenGL and Intel

#18 Postby ErikP » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:10 pm

CR Licquorix kernel is installed and KWin does not crash. I just get a message saying that the Desktop Effects change failed and to check my X settings.

User avatar
Arjen
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice
Posts: 69
Age: 42
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:04 pm

Re: OpenGL and Intel

#19 Postby Arjen » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:28 am

I'm having a similar problem. I can't enable OpenGL desktop effects anymore after upgrading Mepis 11 to KDE 4.7. It worked in KDE 4.6. Xrender works, pretty well actually, but I'd like to get OpenGL to work. I've already upgraded to the Xorg from the Test CR, and have run sgfxi but without effect.

When enabling OpenGL, KDE says: "Failed to activate desktop effects using the given configuration options. Settings will be reverted to their previous values. Check your X configuration. You may also consider changing advanced options, especially changing the compositing type."

Any ideas on what I could do to get it to work?

Code: Select all

System:    Host: hobbes Kernel: 2.6.36-1-mepis-smp i686 (32 bit, gcc: 4.4.5)
           Desktop KDE 4.7.4 (Qt 4.7.3) Distro: MEPIS 11.0 squeeze                                                                   
Machine:   System: Hewlett-Packard product: HP ProBook 4310s version: F.0C                                                           
           Mobo: Hewlett-Packard model: 7015 version: KBC Version 14.10                                                             
           Bios: Hewlett-Packard version: 68PHT Ver. F.0C date: 01/14/2010                                                           
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core2 Duo CPU T6670 (-MCP-) cache: 2048 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 8779.76   
           Clock Speeds: 1: 1200.00 MHz 2: 1200.00 MHz                                                                               
Graphics:  Card: Intel Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0                                       
           X.Org: 1.10.4 driver: intel Resolution: 1366x768@60.0hz                                                                   
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Mobile Intel GM45 Express Chipset GEM 20091221 2009Q4 x86/MMX/SSE2 GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 7.7.1 Direct Rendering: Yes
HP Probook 4310s - Intel Core2 Duo T6670, 3GB memory, Intel GMA 4500MHD grapics, Intel wifi - MEPIS 11 (32 bits), kernel 2.6.36-1-mepis-smp, KDE 4.7.4

User avatar
richb
Administrator
Posts: 12929
Age: 71
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:17 pm

Re: OpenGL and Intel

#20 Postby richb » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:33 am

Arjen wrote:I'm having a similar problem. I can't enable OpenGL desktop effects anymore after upgrading Mepis 11 to KDE 4.7. It worked in KDE 4.6. Xrender works, pretty well actually, but I'd like to get OpenGL to work. I've already upgraded to the Xorg from the Test CR, and have run sgfxi but without effect.

When enabling OpenGL, KDE says: "Failed to activate desktop effects using the given configuration options. Settings will be reverted to their previous values. Check your X configuration. You may also consider changing advanced options, especially changing the compositing type."

Any ideas on what I could do to get it to work?



My previous post in this thread, newer kernel and xorg.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

Rich

Laptop: Acer V5-572G: Intel i5, 12 GIG mem, Intel graphics, SanDisk SSD, 256GB
Virtualbox: Win 7
Desktop: MX-15- 64, AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, fglrx driver, 16 GIG Mem. Samsung EVO SSD 250 GB


Return to “Mepis 11 Modified”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests