Post Re: KDE 4.6.5 has my application windows resizing themselves
Eadwine Rose wrote:
richb wrote:
Eadwine Rose wrote:
Earlier KDE did not do this. Ever.

This one did.

Same for Zevon, apparently.

Conclusion, etc.

It is a conclusion that -I- draw. You can agree with it or not ;)

Fair enough, just wondered who the "we" were. I do not agree, for the record, and will not state the obvious that two experiences do not make a trend. oops I just did. :hug:

That's ok :smile:

At least WE can state that the mepis folks who made this all possible are doing a wonderful job! I mean.. look.. -I- am running this thing, me of all people. :wink:

Yes WE can! :celebrate:

Rich

Acer Laptop V5-572G: Intel i5, 12 GIG mem, nVidia GT720M/Intel integrated graphics
Mx-14 Symbiosis
Kubuntu 13.10, KDE 4.11.2

Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:54 pm
MEPIS is cool!
MEPIS is cool!

Have thanks: 43 times
Post # 289750
Eadwine Rose wrote:
I right click in the application's top bar and go to application settings. Then force the size and position, they then always open in the same spot at the same size.

I follow that course of action exactly but then they open where they like, mostly squished up in the top left corner. If it wasn't so annoying I'd... LOL

Eadwine Rose wrote:
I like my stuff in the same spot, hence :smile:
I just have to do a, 'me too', on that aspect of things and add that it's really annoying not to be able to get that, at the moment.
The only thing that -is- consistent is that many program windows and dialogues wind up at position 0 at minimal size. Synaptic is 'annoyance of the day' today.

Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:51 pm
MEPIS is cool!
MEPIS is cool!

Post # 289751
I thought that it might be advisable to mention that I got the KDE update from an experimental repository.

For which I'm VERY grateful to all concerned!

Thanks guys, you know who you are..

Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:58 pm
MEPIS Guide
MEPIS Guide

Have thanks: 729 times
Post # 289756
Tutorials
http://userbase.kde.org/KWin#You_want_a ... every_time

And it works in Mepis KDE 4.6

Kubuntu KDE 4.11.00 / KDE 4.11.60 / Debian Wheezy KDE 4.10.4 / Plasma Active 3 Tablet

Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:37 pm
MEPIS is cool!
MEPIS is cool!

Post # 289758
Danum wrote:
Tutorials
http://userbase.kde.org/KWin#You_want_a ... every_time

And it works in Mepis KDE 4.6

Thanks Danum, I checked the tutorial in case there was something the old brain was not seeing but that simple instruction is what I'm doing currently,
and have been doing when necessary, for years.

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be working consistently, for reasons unknown to me at the moment. I can only assume for now that when the property
is altered something else reverts it to "pos 0" etc. almost immediately.

Do you by any chance happen know where the info is stored? Could be a permissions thing that's caught mung.

Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:59 pm
MEPIS Guide
MEPIS Guide

Have thanks: 729 times
Post # 289762
First there is not a bug in KDE 4.6 for this but there was one in 4.7.1 which even the Suse guys were having a hard time pinpointing, it was rectified in 4.7.2.
The only thing I can suggest is to make sure the coordinates are being picked up, and to me it sounds as if they are not, see below

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Kubuntu KDE 4.11.00 / KDE 4.11.60 / Debian Wheezy KDE 4.10.4 / Plasma Active 3 Tablet

Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:40 pm
MEPIS Enthusiast
MEPIS Enthusiast

Have thanks: 753 times
Post # 289764
Since there are only two noted with problems I'd suggest that the installs/upgrades were less than nominal. Has anyone that's having this problem tried the various options available in Synaptic regarding which repository is preferred? Perhaps enabling Backports? Without committing the changes of course. But just to see if anything that might be upgraded would help?
If needed, I'd seriously consider resetting Permissions using the Mepis Assistant. Resetting the customizations is really trivial if needed afterwards.

Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:55 pm
MEPIS is cool!
MEPIS is cool!

Post # 289765
Danum wrote:
First there is not a bug in KDE 4.6 for this but there was one in 4.7.1 which even the Suse guys were having a hard time pinpointing, it was rectified in 4.7.2.
The only thing I can suggest is to make sure the coordinates are being picked up, and to me it sounds as if they are not, see below

The coordinates are set and then reset, that much I can confirm. :)

I'm trying to get a quote out right now but will get back to this as soon as poss.

TFI

Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:07 pm
MEPIS is cool!
MEPIS is cool!

Post # 289766
lucky9 wrote:
Since there are only two noted with problems I'd suggest that the installs/upgrades were less than nominal. Has anyone that's having this problem tried the various options available in Synaptic regarding which repository is preferred? Perhaps enabling Backports? Without committing the changes of course. But just to see if anything that might be upgraded would help?
If needed, I'd seriously consider resetting Permissions using the Mepis Assistant. Resetting the customizations is really trivial if needed afterwards.

Thanks lucky9, I think we number three but no matter. Your suggestions are well appreciated and the repositories check was actioned before I posted, great minds think alike. ;)

I can't quite find the time to run this down at the moment but will get back to it or reinstall. How I hate having to do that!

Admission of defeat and all that... I suppose.

Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:13 pm
MEPIS Enthusiast
MEPIS Enthusiast

Have thanks: 753 times
Post # 289768
I never thought of it that way. When starting out I just figured I'd mess things up at intervals so reinstalling wasn't a problem for me. I had already developed habits that made my data safe and portable. The OS was simply a tool. If it broke I got another one.
This may have slowed aquistion of my technical skills (at my age I didn't particularly want to learn a whole new 'language', one that was thought to be needed by many), but I found that my search skills were good enough (or got that way) to lessen the need.
I continue to be amazed by those that can rattle off a string of characters for a complex command. Thank goodness for Copy&Paste!

Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:31 pm
Reply to topic   [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next