MEPIS Community Forum

A Linux operating system based on Debian Stable
View unanswered posts | View unsolved topics | View active topics |

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Splashy & Animated Splashy at bootup questions.... 
MEPIS Guide
MEPIS Guide

Have thanks: 139 times
Post # 291292
Post Splashy & Animated Splashy at bootup questions....
To help clarify what I'm asking for help with I'll walk through my bootup on this machine... I power on (toshiba tecra M6 laptop) and it runs a quick mem test and then attempts a connection which fails and then it starts grub. Once grub starts I get a grub splash with my kernel options and boot options... after selecting my kernel I then get a couple of pages of scrolling line code then a flash and more line code then the spinng balls in the center of a black screen and then the login splash. After entering login information and pressing enter I get my animated splashy I selected in kde system settings and when it completes I get my desktop. From power on to desktop is over 4 minutes in duration.
My question is if there is a way to eliminate 3 differenty splashys and integrate it all into one that starts immediately after kernel selection?. Thanks in advance for any advise, :snail: Jerry

Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:52 pm
MEPIS Enthusiast
MEPIS Enthusiast

Have thanks: 1954 times
Post # 291298
Post Re: Splashy & Animated Splashy at bootup questions....
JBoman wrote:
To help clarify what I'm asking for help with I'll walk through my bootup on this machine... I power on (toshiba tecra M6 laptop) and it runs a quick mem test and then attempts a connection which fails and then it starts grub. Once grub starts I get a grub splash with my kernel options and boot options... after selecting my kernel I then get a couple of pages of scrolling line code then a flash and more line code then the spinng balls in the center of a black screen and then the login splash. After entering login information and pressing enter I get my animated splashy I selected in kde system settings and when it completes I get my desktop. From power on to desktop is over 4 minutes in duration.
My question is if there is a way to eliminate 3 differenty splashys and integrate it all into one that starts immediately after kernel selection?. Thanks in advance for any advise, :snail: Jerry

I've never considered the initial grub screen where you select the kernel and boot options a "splash". You do have two other splash screens though. The plymouth splash that's shown before starting X, and the KDE splash that's shown while the KDE desktop loads (after logging in at the KDM screen).

You can disable or remove the plymouth splash, but I doubt that it will speed up that part of the boot process any.

For the KDE splash you can install something that's pretty elaborate, like the Steampunk splash, but I don't know if it actually slows things down or not.

Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:35 pm
MEPIS Guide
MEPIS Guide

Have thanks: 729 times
Post # 291305
JBoman wrote:

The longest wait you will have is when it is looking for a connection, at times it will seam like forever, so disable it.
Kmenu > Settings (I think) > Mepis Network assistant > Interfaces Tab, by default it is checked to start at boot, change it to Start When plugged, and no I did not miss the "in" ie, Start When plugged in.

Kubuntu KDE 4.11.00 / KDE 4.11.60 / Debian Wheezy KDE 4.10.4 / Plasma Active 3 Tablet

Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:17 pm
MEPIS Enthusiast
MEPIS Enthusiast

Have thanks: 1661 times
Post # 291311
Quote:
after selecting my kernel I then get a couple of pages of scrolling line code then a flash and more line code then the spinng balls in the center of a black screen and then the login splash.

If I read this correctly, he's not seeing a plymouth splash screen at all, which is probably due to the "vga=" setting. I don't see plymouth on my 1024x600 netbook either, but it's no big deal and I haven't tried to fix it.

You may be able to disable the memory test and the attempted boot from network in the machine's BIOS setup, which will knock off a few seconds. Four minutes sounds way too long, my original Acer Aspire One netbook boots to the M11 desktop much faster than that....unless that machine in your sig is that much slower than a netbook.

Otherwise, you can set up an automatic login to boot to the desktop without human input.

PS. If you are running 4.7.2, this should be a 'modified MEPIS' question.

Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:11 pm
MEPIS Guide
MEPIS Guide

Post # 291322
Stevo wrote:
Quote:
after selecting my kernel I then get a couple of pages of scrolling line code then a flash and more line code then the spinng balls in the center of a black screen and then the login splash.

If I read this correctly, he's not seeing a plymouth splash screen at all, which is probably due to the "vga=" setting. I don't see plymouth on my 1024x600 netbook either, but it's no big deal and I haven't tried to fix it.

You may be able to disable the memory test and the attempted boot from network in the machine's BIOS setup, which will knock off a few seconds. Four minutes sounds way too long, my original Acer Aspire One netbook boots to the M11 desktop much faster than that....unless that machine in your sig is that much slower than a netbook.

Otherwise, you can set up an automatic login to boot to the desktop without human input.

PS. If you are running 4.7.2, this should be a 'modified MEPIS' question.

Stevo, the machine I'm refering to is a toshiba tecra M6 1.66Ghz w/2g ram. Wasn't sure where to post it so feel free to move to modified Mepis. :turtle: Jerry

Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:34 pm
MEPIS Guide
MEPIS Guide

Post # 291334
Have downloaded steampunk kdm login splashy and trying to install the theme but the authorization box fails on my root password. Any ideas???, I enter the password correct but is not recognized. BTW every time I have encountered this type of authorization pop up on every Mepis install I have used I got the same unrecognized result. :mad: Jerry

PS: Will a mod please move this thread as Stevo suggested. Thanks

Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:22 pm
MEPIS Enthusiast
MEPIS Enthusiast

Have thanks: 1954 times
Post # 291336
JBoman wrote:
Have downloaded steampunk kdm login splashy and trying to install the theme but the authorization box fails on my root password. Any ideas???, I enter the password correct but is not recognized. BTW every time I have encountered this type of authorization pop up on every Mepis install I have used I got the same unrecognized result. :mad: Jerry

Since KDE 4.4.x (I think), I've needed to use my user password for System Settings > System Administration > Login Screen (aka KDM) changes.

Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:36 pm
Administrator

Have thanks: 1284 times
Post # 291337
kmathern wrote:
JBoman wrote:

Since KDE 4.4.x (I think), I've needed to use my user password for System Settings > System Administration > Login Screen (aka KDM) changes.

You are right, I ran into the same thing.

Rich

Acer Laptop V5-572G: Intel i5, 12 GIG mem, nVidia GT720M/Intel integrated graphics
Mx-14 Symbiosis
Kubuntu 13.10, KDE 4.11.2

Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:38 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]