Splashy & Animated Splashy at bootup questions....

Help for Mepis 11 modified with a non-Mepis kernel, upgraded KDE. or base repositories other than Debian squeeze
Message
Author
User avatar
JBoman
Forum Guide
Forum Guide
Posts: 1483
Age: 58
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:30 pm

Splashy & Animated Splashy at bootup questions....

#1 Postby JBoman » Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:52 pm

To help clarify what I'm asking for help with I'll walk through my bootup on this machine... I power on (toshiba tecra M6 laptop) and it runs a quick mem test and then attempts a connection which fails and then it starts grub. Once grub starts I get a grub splash with my kernel options and boot options... after selecting my kernel I then get a couple of pages of scrolling line code then a flash and more line code then the spinng balls in the center of a black screen and then the login splash. After entering login information and pressing enter I get my animated splashy I selected in kde system settings and when it completes I get my desktop. From power on to desktop is over 4 minutes in duration.
My question is if there is a way to eliminate 3 differenty splashys and integrate it all into one that starts immediately after kernel selection?. Thanks in advance for any advise, :snail: Jerry
http://patentabsurdity.com/
AMD 64x2 2.6GHz 4GB ram MX-15 regular updates
"beware a frequent flirt with potential disaster"

User avatar
kmathern
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Posts: 9024
Age: 58
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:26 pm

Re: Splashy & Animated Splashy at bootup questions....

#2 Postby kmathern » Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:35 pm

JBoman wrote:To help clarify what I'm asking for help with I'll walk through my bootup on this machine... I power on (toshiba tecra M6 laptop) and it runs a quick mem test and then attempts a connection which fails and then it starts grub. Once grub starts I get a grub splash with my kernel options and boot options... after selecting my kernel I then get a couple of pages of scrolling line code then a flash and more line code then the spinng balls in the center of a black screen and then the login splash. After entering login information and pressing enter I get my animated splashy I selected in kde system settings and when it completes I get my desktop. From power on to desktop is over 4 minutes in duration.
My question is if there is a way to eliminate 3 differenty splashys and integrate it all into one that starts immediately after kernel selection?. Thanks in advance for any advise, :snail: Jerry

I've never considered the initial grub screen where you select the kernel and boot options a "splash". You do have two other splash screens though. The plymouth splash that's shown before starting X, and the KDE splash that's shown while the KDE desktop loads (after logging in at the KDM screen).

You can disable or remove the plymouth splash, but I doubt that it will speed up that part of the boot process any.

For the KDE splash you can install something that's pretty elaborate, like the Steampunk splash, but I don't know if it actually slows things down or not.

User avatar
Danum
Forum Guide
Forum Guide
Posts: 2688
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:49 pm

Re: Splashy & Animated Splashy at bootup questions....

#3 Postby Danum » Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:17 pm

JBoman wrote:To help clarify what I'm asking for help with I'll walk through my bootup on this machine... I power on (toshiba tecra M6 laptop) and it runs a quick mem test and then attempts a connection which fails and then it starts grub. Once grub starts I get a grub splash with my kernel options and boot options... after selecting my kernel I then get a couple of pages of scrolling line code then a flash and more line code then the spinng balls in the center of a black screen and then the login splash. After entering login information and pressing enter I get my animated splashy I selected in kde system settings and when it completes I get my desktop. From power on to desktop is over 4 minutes in duration.
My question is if there is a way to eliminate 3 differenty splashys and integrate it all into one that starts immediately after kernel selection?. Thanks in advance for any advise, :snail: Jerry

The longest wait you will have is when it is looking for a connection, at times it will seam like forever, so disable it.
Kmenu > Settings (I think) > Mepis Network assistant > Interfaces Tab, by default it is checked to start at boot, change it to Start When plugged, and no I did not miss the "in" ie, Start When plugged in.
Desktop.
Zalman Z11 Plus ATX PC Tower, AMD FX 8350 Black Edition Vishera, 8 Core 4.4 GHz, Kingston HyperX FURY Red 16GB, Nvidia GT740 Graphics, Pioneer BDR-209EBK Writer, 2 x Seagate 1TB SSHD SATA Hybrid Hard Drives. ASUS VS278Q 27 inch HD Monitor

User avatar
Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Posts: 11219
Age: 57
Joined: Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:07 pm

Re: Splashy & Animated Splashy at bootup questions....

#4 Postby Stevo » Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:11 pm

after selecting my kernel I then get a couple of pages of scrolling line code then a flash and more line code then the spinng balls in the center of a black screen and then the login splash.


If I read this correctly, he's not seeing a plymouth splash screen at all, which is probably due to the "vga=" setting. I don't see plymouth on my 1024x600 netbook either, but it's no big deal and I haven't tried to fix it.

You may be able to disable the memory test and the attempted boot from network in the machine's BIOS setup, which will knock off a few seconds. Four minutes sounds way too long, my original Acer Aspire One netbook boots to the M11 desktop much faster than that....unless that machine in your sig is that much slower than a netbook.

Otherwise, you can set up an automatic login to boot to the desktop without human input.

PS. If you are running 4.7.2, this should be a 'modified MEPIS' question.
The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds, and the pessimist fears this is true.

James Branch Cabell

User avatar
JBoman
Forum Guide
Forum Guide
Posts: 1483
Age: 58
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:30 pm

Re: Splashy & Animated Splashy at bootup questions....

#5 Postby JBoman » Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:34 pm

Stevo wrote:
after selecting my kernel I then get a couple of pages of scrolling line code then a flash and more line code then the spinng balls in the center of a black screen and then the login splash.


If I read this correctly, he's not seeing a plymouth splash screen at all, which is probably due to the "vga=" setting. I don't see plymouth on my 1024x600 netbook either, but it's no big deal and I haven't tried to fix it.

You may be able to disable the memory test and the attempted boot from network in the machine's BIOS setup, which will knock off a few seconds. Four minutes sounds way too long, my original Acer Aspire One netbook boots to the M11 desktop much faster than that....unless that machine in your sig is that much slower than a netbook.

Otherwise, you can set up an automatic login to boot to the desktop without human input.

PS. If you are running 4.7.2, this should be a 'modified MEPIS' question.


Stevo, the machine I'm refering to is a toshiba tecra M6 1.66Ghz w/2g ram. Wasn't sure where to post it so feel free to move to modified Mepis. :turtle: Jerry
http://patentabsurdity.com/
AMD 64x2 2.6GHz 4GB ram MX-15 regular updates
"beware a frequent flirt with potential disaster"

User avatar
JBoman
Forum Guide
Forum Guide
Posts: 1483
Age: 58
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:30 pm

Re: Splashy & Animated Splashy at bootup questions....

#6 Postby JBoman » Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:22 pm

Have downloaded steampunk kdm login splashy and trying to install the theme but the authorization box fails on my root password. Any ideas???, I enter the password correct but is not recognized. BTW every time I have encountered this type of authorization pop up on every Mepis install I have used I got the same unrecognized result. :mad: Jerry

PS: Will a mod please move this thread as Stevo suggested. Thanks
http://patentabsurdity.com/
AMD 64x2 2.6GHz 4GB ram MX-15 regular updates
"beware a frequent flirt with potential disaster"

User avatar
kmathern
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Posts: 9024
Age: 58
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:26 pm

Re: Splashy & Animated Splashy at bootup questions....

#7 Postby kmathern » Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:36 pm

JBoman wrote:Have downloaded steampunk kdm login splashy and trying to install the theme but the authorization box fails on my root password. Any ideas???, I enter the password correct but is not recognized. BTW every time I have encountered this type of authorization pop up on every Mepis install I have used I got the same unrecognized result. :mad: Jerry

Since KDE 4.4.x (I think), I've needed to use my user password for System Settings > System Administration > Login Screen (aka KDM) changes.

User avatar
richb
Administrator
Posts: 13032
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:17 pm

Re: Splashy & Animated Splashy at bootup questions....

#8 Postby richb » Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:38 pm

kmathern wrote:
JBoman wrote:Have downloaded steampunk kdm login splashy and trying to install the theme but the authorization box fails on my root password. Any ideas???, I enter the password correct but is not recognized. BTW every time I have encountered this type of authorization pop up on every Mepis install I have used I got the same unrecognized result. :mad: Jerry

Since KDE 4.4.x (I think), I've needed to use my user password for System Settings > System Administration > Login Screen (aka KDM) changes.

You are right, I ran into the same thing.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

Rich

Laptop: Acer V5-572G: Intel i5, 12 GIG mem, Intel graphics, SanDisk SSD, 256GB
Virtualbox: Win 7
Desktop: MX-15- 64, AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, fglrx driver, 16 GIG Mem. Samsung EVO SSD 250 GB


Return to “Mepis 11 Modified”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest