I messed up xinetd.... fixable???

Help for Mepis 11 modified with a non-Mepis kernel, upgraded KDE. or base repositories other than Debian squeeze
JBoman
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Re: I messed up xinetd.... fixable???

#11 Postby JBoman » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:23 am

GoManutd wrote:if the file is simply missing at this point, i suppose you could always just create an empty file. should allow things to get properly processed - after all, there's nothing config wise that would cause an error.

run:

Code: Select all

su -c 'touch /etc/init.d/xinetd'

Gave it a try but still get dpkg error saying the package is in a bad inconsistant state and should be reinstalled. If I try to remove it it errors and says it should be reinstalled first. Attempts to reinstall loop back to the first error again and over and over. :duh:
http://patentabsurdity.com/
AMD 64x2 2.6GHz 4GB ram MX-15 regular updates
"beware a frequent flirt with potential disaster"

lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#12 Postby lucky9 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:04 am

Have you tried an apt-get -f install yet? (or fix broken packages in Synaptic)
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

timkb4cq
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#13 Postby timkb4cq » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:42 am

Perhaps
dpkg --purge xinetd

If that errors out, go to /var/lib/dpkg/info and remove any file beginning with xinetd. Dpkg & apt can't try to run a configuration script that isn't there anymore.
MSI 970A-G43 MB, AMD FX-6300 (six core), 16GB RAM, GeForce 730, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD, Seagate Barracuda XT 3TB

JBoman
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#14 Postby JBoman » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:01 pm

timkb4cq wrote:Perhaps
dpkg --purge xinetd

If that errors out, go to /var/lib/dpkg/info and remove any file beginning with xinetd. Dpkg & apt can't try to run a configuration script that isn't there anymore.

Tim, tried the suggestion after you posted it with no success and been jabbing at it since then till today. Today I had a look at just /etc/init and found a xinetd.conf file there so deleted it..... bingo!, dpkg is working again. I was beginning to think a reinstall was the only solution and was not looking forward to it on this box due to my sloppy file keeping on this machine... it would have taken me days to accomplish. Thanks for the help.... after removing the .conf file the purge went as instructed. :cool: Jerry
http://patentabsurdity.com/
AMD 64x2 2.6GHz 4GB ram MX-15 regular updates
"beware a frequent flirt with potential disaster"

Return to “Mepis 11 Modified”