View unanswered posts | View unsolved topics | View active topics |

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
desktop gone wacky... apps fullscreen 
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Have thanks: 139 times
Post # 297189
Post desktop gone wacky... apps fullscreen
Recently in the last couple of days things have gone wacky on my desktop. Not real suprizing since this system runs on the edge with sid & experimental but a little annoying anyway.
What is happening is the following....
1. I get a small message box at the top of my desktop screen during the final stages of bootup that says Kwin has changed the style to "twister" and the message dissapears almost before you can read it.
2. At normal bootup Skype starts automatic and pops up a small login screen.... this still happens but the login screen that pops up is fullscreen and will not miniturize without several manipulations... it will minimize to the tray though.
3. In reference to #2 above I find that every app that previously started in a minimized size now starts full screen and nothing seems to correct it.
4. The tray does not always appear.... when it does not appear I have to right clik on the desktop screen and open system settings.. once I do that the tray will appear and be usable.

Any ideas on where or what to take a look at appreciated. :needcoffee: Jerry

***note my last and most recent upgrade involved over 900 package updates/upgrades

Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:33 pm
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Have thanks: 733 times
Post # 297195
Post Re: desktop gone wacky... apps fullscreen
JBoman wrote:
Recently in the last couple of days things have gone wacky on my desktop. Not real suprizing since this system runs on the edge with sid & experimental but a little annoying anyway.
Any ideas on where or what to take a look at appreciated. :needcoffee: Jerry

***note my last and most recent upgrade involved over 900 package updates/upgrades

First I will say the situation you have is self inflicted,
Explanation:- no packages will install from experimental without you explicitly tell them to,
using the -t option in console, apt-get -t experimental dist-upgrade, Which is a message for a disaster.
Or you have somehow setup the experimental preferences file incorrectly,

At this moment Sid, is stable very stable, just as Sid with Experimental is when setup correctly is. (I run Sid just as I ran Sid with Experimental to pull in 4.7 before it moved but the kde-experimental preferences were setup only to install 4.7 and its dependencies, nothing else.)

Making the assumption you used the experimental repo to install KDE 4.7, 4.7 is in Sid, so you do not need to go anywhere near experimental,
and in the transition from experimental to Sid for KDE 4.7, not more than 10 or 12 additional packages were installed, above the normal upgrades.
Best advice because of the number of upgrades, a clean install of sid, or whatever.

Kubuntu KDE 4.11.00 / KDE 4.11.60 / Debian Wheezy KDE 4.10.4 / Plasma Active 3 Tablet

Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:32 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]