View unanswered posts | View unsolved topics | View active topics |

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
how to upgrade to kde 4.6.5? 
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Have thanks: 0 time
Post # 300128
Post how to upgrade to kde 4.6.5?  [Solved]
Hello I've been using Gnu/Linux for a bit over a year, but i'm farly new to Mepis and am aquainting my self with the general methods involveld with the community ect. I have got the impression that it is possible to upgrade kde to 4.6.5. I am using the default squeeze install, and if my impression was correct i'd like to preform this update. I can not find the thread discussing the topic. Could somebody help please; thankyou :)

Tue May 22, 2012 5:36 am
Administrator

Have thanks: 1433 times
Post # 300129
Post Re: how to upgrade to kde 4.6.5?
knightron wrote:
Hello I've been using Gnu/Linux for a bit over a year, but i'm farly new to Mepis and am aquainting my self with the general methods involveld with the community ect. I have got the impression that it is possible to upgrade kde to 4.6.5. I am using the default squeeze install, and if my impression was correct i'd like to preform this update. I can not find the thread discussing the topic. Could somebody help please; thankyou :)

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=33000

Rich

Acer Laptop V5-572G: Intel i5, 12 GIG mem, nVidia GT720M/Intel integrated graphics
Mx-14 Symbiosis
Kubuntu 13.10, KDE 4.11.2

Tue May 22, 2012 5:44 am

richb thanked by: knightron
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Have thanks: 1955 times
Post # 300168
And after that, it's simple to upgrade to KDE 4.7.4, also in our experimental repository. It seems to be solid and fast for everyone that uses it.

Tue May 22, 2012 11:18 pm

Stevo thanked by: knightron
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post # 300171
Thanks for your help guys. I'm now running kde 4.6.5
I used to run opensuse 12.1 which comes with kde 4.7, i did not think it was as good as 4.6 for stability, (although 4.8 was very nice) so am hesitant to do the upgrade to 4.7.
One last question, i like using the icon task plasmoid. I've compiled this very easily in the past in Slackware and opensuse; (I have very little compiling experience) by following the readme instructions. On Opensuse i had to install the kde development tools first. I am failing to compile it this time in Mepis, and i believe i need the development tools again. I think the package in Debian is called kdevelop? I can't find a compatible version in the repos for kde 4.6.5. If there is a deb for icontask that will work; i'd be happy with that too. I'm currently running smooth task from the CR and it is nice, but i can not set launchers on Smooth task like i can on icon task; which i desire

Wed May 23, 2012 6:15 am
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Have thanks: 2295 times
Post # 300185
knightron wrote:
Thanks for your help guys. I'm now running kde 4.6.5
I used to run opensuse 12.1 which comes with kde 4.7, i did not think it was as good as 4.6 for stability, (although 4.8 was very nice) so am hesitant to do the upgrade to 4.7.
One last question, i like using the icon task plasmoid. I've compiled this very easily in the past in Slackware and opensuse; (I have very little compiling experience) by following the readme instructions. On Opensuse i had to install the kde development tools first. I am failing to compile it this time in Mepis, and i believe i need the development tools again. I think the package in Debian is called kdevelop? I can't find a compatible version in the repos for kde 4.6.5. If there is a deb for icontask that will work; i'd be happy with that too. I'm currently running smooth task from the CR and it is nice, but i can not set launchers on Smooth task like i can on icon task; which i desire

edit #2: see Stevo's post below this one

I'm using the icon task manager, but on a sid install with KDE 4.8.3 where the icon task manager is included as part of KDE4. Btw, I'm assuming this here: http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php/Ic ... ent=144808 is what you're talking about.

There's no icon task manager (aka plasma-widget-icon-tasks) package in the M11 repos or CR repos. I did find a PPA with debianized source and packages. Here's the PPA: https://launchpad.net/~debfx/+archive/ppa, and here's it's /pool folder: http://ppa.launchpad.net/debfx/ppa/ubun ... con-tasks/.

The .deb packages were built for Ubuntu/Kubuntu and I don't think they will install on Mepis 11. It might be possible to use the debianized source (the .dsc, debian.tar.gz & orig.tar.bz2 files) and backport it so the packages are compatible with M11/ KDE 4.6.5. Stevo who builds a lot of the packages in the community repos (CRs) has a backporting guide here: https://sites.google.com/site/stevosfil ... kports.txt.

If you don't want to backport the debianized source, you might be able to install the build depends listed in it's control file, and then build the tarball from: http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php/Ic ... ent=144808, following the instructions in it's README file.
Quote:
Build-Depends:
debhelper (>= 7.0.50~),
pkg-kde-tools,
cmake,
kdelibs5-dev,
kde-workspace-dev,
libx11-dev,
libdbusmenu-qt-dev,
libunity-dev,
libdbusmenu-glib-dev

There are some problems with the build depends shown above. In Mepis 11 the kde-workspace-dev package is 'kdebase-workspace-dev'. Also, the libunity-dev package is unavailable and it's not backportable from sid/wheezy. You might need to disable Unity in the source {not exactly sure how you do that}.

If this sounds too complicated, maybe submit a request for a plasma-widget-icon-tasks package here: viewforum.php?f=55

edit: I took a closer look at the .debs from http://ppa.launchpad.net/debfx/ppa/ubun ... con-tasks/, and it looks like they might actually be installable, but I think a backported package would be safer.

Last edited by kmathern on Wed May 23, 2012 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed May 23, 2012 10:31 am

kmathern thanked by: knightron
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Have thanks: 1955 times
Post # 300188
We do have it in the experimental KDE repo (maybe just for 4.7.4), but it looks like it will work in 4.6.5:

http://main.mepis-deb.org/mepiscr/kde/p ... icontasks/

We also have one called "flexibletasks", but i forget the distinction...

Wed May 23, 2012 11:51 am

Stevo thanked by: kmathern, knightron
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Have thanks: 2295 times
Post # 300191
Stevo wrote:
We do have it in the experimental KDE repo (maybe just for 4.7.4), but it looks like it will work in 4.6.5:

http://main.mepis-deb.org/mepiscr/kde/p ... icontasks/

We also have one called "flexibletasks", but i forget the distinction...

I wonder why I didn't see that earlier?

Btw, why are the source packages named 'widgit' ?

Wed May 23, 2012 12:00 pm
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post # 300213
Thanks again guys. You've been very helpful. I just used the .deb from the experiemental repo; it works fine. I am already likeing the community here, i like the detailed explanations. I appreciate not being treated like an idiot just because i'm new to the forum.
I've never made packages before, and that backporting guide will be very helpful, thankyou especially for that.

Wed May 23, 2012 5:31 pm
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Have thanks: 910 times
Post # 300214
knightron wrote:
I appreciate not being treated like an idiot just because i'm new to the forum.

You don't have to be new to this forum to be an idiot. Trust me.

Wed May 23, 2012 5:35 pm
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Have thanks: 887 times
Post # 300219
It's written in the bylaws.

Wed May 23, 2012 7:22 pm
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next