Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
semplice 
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Have thanks: 446 times
Post # 295936
Post Re: semplice
malspa wrote:
Got used to it with Ubuntu, Kubuntu, and Mint. I can go either way, I guess.

Yeah, me too I suppose. My first foray into Linux was with Ubuntu, so I know how to use it, but when I moved to a Debian-based distro su just seemed to make more sense to me somehow.

Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:49 pm
Administrator

Have thanks: 1429 times
Post # 295937
DBeckett wrote:
I dunno. Sid is interesting but useless, meaning I have no confidence that it will still be working tomorrow.

Wheezy is about as adventuresome as I get these days.

In my opinion certainly not useless. Can be made to work flawlessly for a long time, and a learning experience when things go wrong as they probably will. What you learn can be ported to more stable implementations.

Rich

Acer Laptop V5-572G: Intel i5, 12 GIG mem, nVidia GT720M/Intel integrated graphics
Mx-14 Symbiosis
Kubuntu 13.10, KDE 4.11.2

Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:51 pm
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Have thanks: 446 times
Post # 295938
richb wrote:
In my opinion certainly not useless. Can be made to work flawlessly for a long time, and a learning experience when things go wrong as they probably will. What you learn can be ported to more stable implementations.

Let me rephrase then. I used it for a couple of months and decided that it was too unstable to be more than an interesting (and yes, perhaps instructive) toy, not to be depended upon day to day.

BTW, is that your Michael Jackson look?

Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:55 pm

DBeckett thanked by: richb
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Have thanks: 158 times
Post # 295939
richb wrote:
Can be made to work flawlessly for a long time, and a learning experience when things go wrong as they probably will. What you learn can be ported to more stable implementations.

I'm hoping I can get it to work flawlessly for a long time!

And, the learning experience, and porting that knowledge to more stable implementations, definitely a plus.

Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:59 pm
Administrator

Post # 295940
DBeckett wrote:
richb wrote:

Let me rephrase then. I used it for a couple of months and decided that it was too unstable to be more than an interesting (and yes, perhaps instructive) toy, not to be depended upon day to day.

BTW, is that your Michael Jackson look?

Debian does not claim it is for day to day use.

Quote:
unstable, permanently aliased sid, repository contains packages currently under development; it is updated continually. This repository is designed for Debian developers who participate in a project and need the latest libraries available, or for those who like to "live on the edge", therefore it will not be as stable as the other distributions. There are no official CDs/DVDs because it is rapidly changing and the project does not support it, although CD and DVD images of sid are built quarterly by aptosid. Additionally, the other two distributions can be upgraded to unstable.[117]

:rofl: The look just seems to happen in the summer.

Rich

Acer Laptop V5-572G: Intel i5, 12 GIG mem, nVidia GT720M/Intel integrated graphics
Mx-14 Symbiosis

Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:22 pm
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Have thanks: 158 times
Post # 295941
DBeckett wrote:

Yeah, that's pretty much it. Sid isn't intended to be Debian Stable.

Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:33 pm
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Have thanks: 887 times
Post # 295944
Using Sid can be useful especially in the development cycle, but it's not a Production Environment.

And except for a Linux Guru Sid can't be made 'flawless for a long time' unless you do not update/upgrade during that time.

As for sudo I've set it up for things that needed it. I don't know if that caused any problems. But I didn't notice any. Of course I rarely know what caused a problem so I'm speaking from a less than knowledgeable perspective.

Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:04 pm
Administrator

Post # 295945
lucky9 wrote:
Using Sid can be useful especially in the development cycle, but it's not a Production Environment.

And except for a Linux Guru Sid can't be made 'flawless for a long time' unless you do not update/upgrade during that time.

I had it going without many issues for about 6 months upgrading daily. That is not to say that I did not have to tweak now and then. It depends on how you define flawless. If by that you mean no hands on debugging, I agree. But I was able to use it without recourse to any other system. I would say that is a long time, and a useful system. That was my experience.

It finally broke and I went back to a more stable system. As the quote says in my previous post, it is intended for developers not "regular" users.

Rich

Mx-14 Symbiosis

Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:10 pm
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Have thanks: 887 times
Post # 295950
I've used sidux and aptosid for extended periods of time also. However I didn't upgrade daily and I paid a lot of attention to their forum. But we basically agree that it's not for production work don't we? Especially since I consider myself an average User who wishes to remain a non-guru.

Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:27 pm
Administrator

Post # 295961
lucky9 wrote:
I've used sidux and aptosid for extended periods of time also. However I didn't upgrade daily and I paid a lot of attention to their forum. But we basically agree that it's not for production work don't we? Especially since I consider myself an average User who wishes to remain a non-guru.

Yes we do.

Rich

Mx-14 Symbiosis

Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:43 am
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2