part-3

a good read - mike

Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:41 am Profile
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Have thanks: 738 times
Post # 364007
Post Re: How we got to where we are today
I disagree with the basic premise of the article -- that nobody could have foreseen the problem of Internet insecurity or designed around the problem. The fact is that it is insane to connect any critical system to an information network that just about anybody can gain access to.

Post retirement, I worked as a consultant for a power company. My task was to help them implement mandatory cyber security standards issued by NERC (North American Electric Reliability Corporation). The problem was that almost every one of the company's critical infrastructure (control centers, power plants, substations, etc.) were connected to the Internet. (Thankfully, the nuclear power plants were not.) If hackers got into these system, they could bring down a large part of the power grid and cause $Billions in monetary damage, not to mention other risks to our national security. The only sensible remedy to this problem was to disconnect critical facilities from the Internet and use private and secure lines of communication that simply are not accessible from outside the system.

During my tenure doing that task, I was shocked to learn that all modern digital copying machines have Internet capabilities built into them, and most of the ones used by the company I worked for were actually connected to the Internet. Ostensibly, the purpose for doing this was to send diagnostics to a copy machine repair facility if one of them malfunctioned. But nobody really knew what kind of software the Chinese manufacturers had installed on these machines, or where additional digital copies of documents might be sent. Thus, the mandate came down from NERC to air-gap (remove Ethernet cables from) all machines used to copy sensitive documents.

With the kind of digital/Internet capability built into office copying machines sold by our not-so-friendly trading partners, and given the carelessness and naiveté of the people using these machines, is it any wonder that espionage against corporate and government entities is rampant? We have traded our security for the dubious convenience of being "connected" everywhere and at all times. It's unconscionable for banks and governmental agencies to keep sensitive information about customers, employees, or critical infrastructure in centralized and unencrypted data bases that are so easily accessible from the Internet. There should be mandatory standards requiring air gaps built into every critical system.

I recently read an article about North Korea's Internet, which for all practical purposes is non-existent. While it is quite easy for the DPRK to wreak havoc on the West (as they did to Sony's offices based in the US), it is virtually impossible for the West to retaliate against them because nothing of any practical use to them is connected to the Internet. I'm not saying we should become like North Korea and live with 1960s technology. But we should be much more aware of the risks of being "wired" and take necessary precautions. Would it be expensive to keep critical systems off the Internet? Sure, but much less expensive that an all-out cyber attack by a determined enemy.

You didn't slow down because you're old; you're old because you slowed down.

Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:22 pm

joany thanked by: BitJam
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Have thanks: 1055 times
Post # 364024
If you watched the 60 Minutes CBS show they covered (again) the ludicrously easy IRS system for returns. I've seen it before. I got mad again.

Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:42 pm

lucky9 thanked by: joany
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Have thanks: 738 times
Post # 364029
lucky9 wrote:
If you watched the 60 Minutes CBS show they covered (again) the ludicrously easy IRS system for returns. I've seen it before. I got mad again.

Me too. I file my tax return electronically with the IRS as soon as I possibly can before someone else files it for me and gets a huge refund using my tax identity. Your tax filing information is even more exposed if you've used TurboTax or one of those other filing services whose data bases regularly get hacked into, which is why I avoid those services like the plague.

The crazy thing is that no alarm bells seem go off at the IRS when one of these bogus tax returns shows up from someone who claims 47 dependents and reports $0 income with $100,000 in withheld taxes; so the IRS just goes right ahead and sends a huge deposit to some untraceable PayPal account with no questions asked. Then it's up to the victim whose identity was stolen to prove to the IRS that they are who they are. Incredible. :rolleyes:

The irony is that you're prone to having your tax identity stolen even if you've never filed electronically. I wish that the IRS never started electronic filing.

You didn't slow down because you're old; you're old because you slowed down.

Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:18 pm
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Have thanks: 17 times
Post # 364051
Quote:
Me too. I file my tax return electronically with the IRS as soon as I possibly can before someone else files it for me and gets a huge refund using my tax identity.

Amen to that! I have a fairly simple return which I file electronically as soon as I have my W-2s etc. This year I had my refund in my checking account by the end of January! :happy:

Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:10 am
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Have thanks: 2 times
Post # 364058
If you worked for US power grid I could understand your worries. Anyhow:

Quote:
During my tenure doing that task, I was shocked to learn that all modern digital copying machines have Internet capabilities built into them, and most of the ones used by the company I worked for were actually connected to the Internet.

As far as I know, the US power grid never was shotdown by foreign powers.

Maybe my info is wrong but it seems it worked the other way around: Printers delivered by US to Afganistan or Iraq who sent data back...

Anyhow the original subject regards, IMHO, how and why the internet was developed ...

And, considering the human nature (as her usual), what became today. I would focus on that ...

About how to create a LAN for your machines, to create a secured WAN for your companies, etc, I guess your are more versed.

Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:13 am
Administrator

Have thanks: 1735 times
Post # 364065
Tax refund! What is that?

Rich

Acer Laptop V5-572G: Intel i5, 12 GIG mem, nVidia GT720M/Intel integrated graphics
MX-14.3
Kubuntu 15.04 KDE Frameworks Version 5.9.0
Virtualbox: Windows 7

Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:13 pm
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Have thanks: 207 times
Post # 364071
richb wrote:
Tax refund! What is that?
amen to that.

Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:43 pm
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Have thanks: 2 times
Post # 364082
Thanks mmike and richb for reminders
i forgot that diff countries have diff laws or presidential acts.

Anyhow I still consider that the original goal of ARPA - to ensure a kind of communication after an cataclism (nuclear or any other) - is still valid.
Security problems appeared after.. Even if, nowadays, one have to choose between videochat, audio, irc, email, etc.

Believe it or not, in an emergency, a way to communicate can really make a difference.
That was all I wanted to say

Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:46 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]