View unanswered posts | View unsolved topics | View active topics |

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
I give up 
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Have thanks: 931 times
Post # 350762
Post I give up
Tonight I am installing W7 for a co-worker. He had been given a very nice older machine, AMD X2 with 1024MB RAM, which I bumped up to 3G and offered to install desktop Linux, all for free.

Nope. He said it had taken his wife a year to learn how to operate her laptop, and she didn't want to go through learning a new system again.

That laptop has Windows 8.

Let's just say he's paying a *lot* more than Free for me to buy a W7-64 HP license, install it, flesh it out, and lock it down.

Not to mention what he'll being paying me in the future after his granddaughter gets on it.

Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:50 pm
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Have thanks: 2090 times
Post # 350767
Post Re: I give up
Good American principle: if it's free, it can't be worth much.

Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:04 pm

Jerry3904 thanked by: jdmeaux1952
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Have thanks: 25 times
Post # 350769
And I wonder what happens next?

http://news.microsoft.com/2014/11/12/mi ... io-online/

Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:46 pm
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post # 350770
Gordon Cooper wrote:

I don't trust 'em. I'd like to know just how open their "open sourcing" really is. I'll bet cash money it not released under the GPL.

Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:52 pm
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post # 350771
Jerry3904 wrote:
Good American principle: if it's free, it can't be worth much.

I suppose so.

I guess he thinks this W7 install is worth a bunch, 'cause that's what I'm charging him. Pizzed me off when he turned up his nose at my offer of desktop Linux for free.

Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:54 pm
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Have thanks: 426 times
Post # 350773
uncle mark wrote:
Gordon Cooper wrote:

I don't trust 'em. I'd like to know just how open their "open sourcing" really is. I'll bet cash money it not released under the GPL.

according to this faq at the .net foundation, the governing organization for the new .net open source initiative:

Question: What license will .NET foundation projects use?

The .NET Foundation is license agnostic. Projects that come to the foundation are free to choose any open source license, as defined by the Open Source Initiative. However, we do not believe that merely making software available under an open source license is sufficient. We expect our projects to accept contributions from the community where they clearly align with the project strategy.

http://www.dotnetfoundation.org/faq

sony vaio 512 mb ram, 20 gb hd, 900 mhz AMD DURON antix 13 32 bit

Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:06 pm
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post # 350774
Which says exactly nothing. Typical MSFT weaseling.

Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:09 pm Profile
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Have thanks: 556 times
Post # 350775
I noticed this effect years ago back when word processors were large special purpose computers. I call it:

The Parable of the Word Processors

Word processors seemed to fall into two categories: those that were easy to learn and use and those that were a real nightmare. Not many fell in between. Interestingly, the users of word processors also fell into two categories: those who were happy to upgrade and change and those who would start ranting about cold dead fingers whenever there was even a hint of change or upgrade in the air.

The strange thing was, the people who used the really lousy word processors refused to change and it was the people who used the easy ones who were happy to try something new. I think this is because neither group had much experience with other computers so they thought whatever system they had was typical of all systems. The ones who went through a painful learning processes to get theirs working thought all word processors where just as bad and they sure as heck didn't want all of their hard work to go to waste just so they could go through another equally difficult learning process. People who had a good word processor that was easy to learn were happy to ditch it and try something new because the learning process was easy and pleasant and they expected it would be that way on any new machine.

Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:30 pm
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Have thanks: 307 times
Post # 350776
According to the video at the bottom of this page, they're using an Apache 2 license for the new .net products. You'll see that discussion starting just before 1 minute into it:

http://www.dotnetfoundation.org/

That looks a lot better than some of the very odd "Microsoft Promise" type licenses they've used in the past, as it looks like the Apache 2 license is recognized as being an Open Source license by organizations like the FSF (Free Software Foundation) according to this Wikipedia page about it, and is being used for a lot of code in Android and similar projects.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apache_License

So far, it looks like the new Microsoft CEO is leaning towards being more Open Source friendly, and trying to embrace Linux (of course, they're looking to make money from their new products, but the attitude towards Linux so far has been a lot better than previous Microsoft Management has displayed towards it); as some of the product managers are now indicating via new products like the just announced .net stuff, as in the video at the bottom of the page linked to above.

We'll have to wait and see where this goes. But, personally, I'm surprised by that announcement (I had not noticed it before glancing at this thread here).

Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:37 pm
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post # 350779
BitJam wrote:
The ones who went through a painful learning processes to get theirs working thought all word processors where just as bad and they sure as heck didn't want all of their hard work to go to waste just so they could go through another equally difficult learning process.

Good observation. I don't doubt it has a lot of validity.

In this case, had it just been up to my co-worker, I think he would have been fine with giving desktop Linux a shot. (I told him I could always put Windows on it at a later date if he just flat out couldn't deal with it.) I think the wife was the one that wanted no part of having to learn something new. Understandable, since she'd recently had to figure out how to use W8.

There's also the "investment" factor. In my experience, the most resistant are the so-called Windows "power users", who have a lot of hard time invested in the Windows expertise they have. Not to mention a lot of pride and ego. They hate being busted down to newbie status.

Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:56 pm
Reply to topic   [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next