fatal problem with latest version?

Here you can post threads/topics about programs like vmware, parallels, qemu, virtualbox, dosbox and all the other virtual machines/emulators that exist. This includes how to setup, suggestions on what works well with MEPIS and what doesn't, etc.
gunzip
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

fatal problem with latest version?

#1 Postby gunzip » Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:46 pm

Downloaded the latest version from sun on two different machines with the same results..

Fatal..no bootable medium found! system halted

I went trough all the same steps as in the previous installs , it just hits this brick wall with no clues where to go..any ideas?

4everlost

#2 Postby 4everlost » Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:11 pm

Go to settings --> Hard Disks --> add new attachment (little green button, on right) this should re-attach the virtual disc

gunzip
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#3 Postby gunzip » Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:04 pm

Go to settings --> Hard Disks --> add new attachment (little green button, on right) this should re-attach the virtual disc

well that didn't work , but i found a workaround. Made an iso copy of the win2k install disc with this command I found on the wiki virtualbox install page.

dd if=/dev/cdrom of=my_win_kit.iso

Then I mounted it just as you do the guest add-on cd image and windows is installing from it just fine

tpcug2005
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#4 Postby tpcug2005 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:19 am

I think you missed a fundamental principle of any virtual machine.

When you create a virtual machine with a virtual hard drive the drive is empty, empty as in, no partitions, not formatted, no operation system to boot from, hence the message. Using the w2k .iso as the CD allows the v. machine to boot from that, since there is nothing else.

The w2k installation does the partitioning and formatting for you, but there is nothing to stop you doing the same manually. You can boot with a (bootable) floppy drive image when creating a DOS machine. Check out the booting order in settings -> general -> advanced in case, in the future, you need to boot from 'something' for repairs.

Return to “VMs/Emulators”