MEPIS Community Forum

A Linux operating system based on Debian Stable
View unanswered posts | View unsolved topics | View active topics |

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
BCM4328 wifi with ndiswrapper, modifying /etc/modprobe.d/ 

Have thanks: 0 time
Post # 168522
Post BCM4328 wifi with ndiswrapper, modifying /etc/modprobe.d/
In different thread we have been trying to resolve the issue of installing the BCM4328 wifi driver:

http://mepislovers.org/forums/showthread.php?t=19827&page=2
http://mepislovers.org/forums/showthread.php?t=19421
http://mepislovers.org/forums/showthread.php?p=163338#post163338

From what I understand wl.ko that is provided by BCM will not work for BCM4328 with some kernels. See thread:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/197558

The only way to install the driver is thru ndiswraper, and even then there is a turnaroud to be done by modifying the /etc/modprobe.d/ndiswrapper file.

The following line has to be added at the end of that file:

install ndiswrapper modprobe -r ohci_hcd ssb; modprobe --ignore-install ndiswrapper $CMDLINE_OPTS; modprobe ohci_hcd

This works well in ubuntu and in sidux. However, there is no /etc/modprobe.d/ndiswrapper file in mepis. Do I just have to create it as a copy of the sidux file? Or is there another way to make that file, so that it is integrated to the system at boot up?

Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:41 am

Post # 168530
Finally, the problem seems to be solved with the use the new interface of mepis network assistant. I just inserted the coordinates of my actual ssid in Quebec city and it worked. I just installed anew mepis 8.0 yesterday night.

Hard to understand as all my other attempts to fix the problem did not work yet. Maybe this was the only one I did not tried? I am surprised.

What is there to be understood?

Good work with mepis 8.0

Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:22 pm

Post # 168791
What there is to be understood is that the solution of the previous post only worked t once. I could not repeat the solution. That fix would not stand up once I was back in Montreal.

Finally, the solution came to me fortuitously. The problem for BCM4328 has to do with the fact that it need BCM4328, see:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/Driver/bcm43xx/Feisty_No-Fluff#Step%202:%20Download%20and%20Extract%20Drivers

In mepis as there is no /etc/modprobe.d/ndiswrapper file to apply the solution proposed in the first post of this thread, I did search where it could be. I landed in the /etc/ndiswrapper/bcmwl5 directory and realized that the files for BCM4328 were missing:

14E4:4328.5.conf
14E4:4328:000A:1028.5.conf
14E4:4328:0009:1028.5.conf

I took these files from the equivalent directory in Sidux, and pasted them into the mepis /etc/ndiswrapper/bcmwl5 (in fact all the files in the mepis directory dated from 2007, whereas in sidux they were new from 2009).

And EUREKA, I got an appropriate IP address according to my network. The firefox browser would not work, but it was just temporary. All I had to do was to restart the network.

At last it worked. I hope my tenacity will be recognized.

Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:05 am

Post # 174298
Finally, tenacity has not really been rewarded. It only worked temporarily. And does not work no more now. I

Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:35 am
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Have thanks: 2 times
Post # 174303
Seems strange, I have the BCM4328 in my HP notebook and it has been detected and worked almost automatically since SM 6.5. Only in some releases had to shutdown and reboot after setting ssid and WPA codes.

On a fresh install, open Mepis Network Assistant - Wireless. Input ssid and WPA, then Apply.
Click to Interfaces and being sure you are on the right one( eth0 or eth1), tick Start on Boot and Start on Apply, then Apply.

If it hangs or tries but does not start, reboot and wifi should be up.

Not sure what your modifications may have done, but if you don't want to reinstall first, you might try using live cd. Of course, if it hangs on "Apply", you will have lost input when you reboot.

bonne chance

Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:40 pm

Post # 247424
It seems I am not very good with bcm wifi drivers.

Working on a dell vostro 1510 with a bcm4312, I was not able to achieve wifi functioning. Working on my own and then trying zuser procedure did not helped solving the problem. But I did not worked with a fresh mepis install. I am working with mepis 8.5 64 bit. The os is functining pretty well on another laptop a MSI 340x, but with the 32 bit option.

1) I did lost the icon in the taskbar tray. How do I return it there.

2) In the general tab of mepis network assistant eth1, the eth1 icon is grey (not running). Selected items are: automatic, wl broadcom driver, DHCP for DNS.

3) Wireless tab: paul for SSID selection, wpa enkryption, the password is: This is the wifi key.

4)In interfaces eth1: start at boot, start restart on Apply, use DHCP to get IP. From one assay to the next (clicking on OK), the start restard on Apply does not stay on. eth1 is the wifi extension and eth0 the wired extension as provided in cli mode by iwconfig and ifconfig.

5) In Troubleshooting, BCM4312 is there in hardware. I have blacklisted ndiswrapper. The wl driver is there when invoking list linux drivers, bcmwl5 is there invoking list windows drive.

Some help would be quite appreciated. Thanks.

Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:53 am
Administrator

Have thanks: 1401 times
Post # 247425
It seems I am not very good with bcm wifi drivers.

Working on a dell vostro 1510 with a bcm4312, I was not able to achieve wifi functioning. Working on my own and then trying zuser procedure did not helped solving the problem. But I did not worked with a fresh mepis install. I am working with mepis 8.5 64 bit. The os is functining pretty well on another laptop a MSI 340x, but with the 32 bit option.

1) I did lost the icon in the taskbar tray. How do I return it there.

2) In the general tab of mepis network assistant eth1, the eth1 icon is grey (not running). Selected items are: automatic, wl broadcom driver, DHCP for DNS.

3) Wireless tab: paul for SSID selection, wpa enkryption, the password is: This is the wifi key.

4)In interfaces eth1: start at boot, start restart on Apply, use DHCP to get IP. From one assay to the next (clicking on OK), the start restard on Apply does not stay on. eth1 is the wifi extension and eth0 the wired extension as provided in cli mode by iwconfig and ifconfig.

5) In Troubleshooting, BCM4312 is there in hardware. I have blacklisted ndiswrapper. The wl driver is there when invoking list linux drivers, bcmwl5 is there invoking list windows drive.

Some help would be quite appreciated. Thanks.

1. Alt-F2, knetworkmanager. For it to show on next boot there is a checkbox somewhere in the dialog that says show icon in panel, or something to that effect.

Rich

Acer Laptop V5-572G: Intel i5, 12 GIG mem, nVidia GT720M/Intel integrated graphics
Mx-14 Symbiosis
Kubuntu 13.10, KDE 4.11.2

Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:01 am

Post # 247426
First item 1) eht1 now is running. Rebooting, the knetworkmanager is no more there. I did not found the place to click so to keep the icon in the tray.

Reinstalling knetworkmanager withAlt-F2,

Clicking on Knetworkmanager in the icon tray, I see a red heart on the side of eth0. Clicking on eth1, I have to give the passphrase. It says paul SSID active. Cliking anew I do not get the little red heart.

Restarting network from mepis network assistant uder general tab, did not get the connection.

Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:15 am

Post # 247427

Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:33 am

Post # 247441
Finally, everything works fine now. I manage to install knetworkmanger in the menu of kde thru the kde (mepis) classic style menu editor:

1) right click on kde or mepis logo (right left of taskbar), then menu editor
2) selected internet as overall class of items
3) added new item (the icon with a plus at the right of the disquette icon, top left of window)
4) under the general tab, I added under name and command: knetworkmanager
5) saving

Then selecting the knetwormanager with a right click, I send it to the kde panel.

One click on it and I get the wifi option in the tray. Clicking on it I get wifi function.

It seems that my problem is completely solved.

Would there be a more elegant solution?

Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:48 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next