View unanswered posts | View unsolved topics | View active topics |

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Compiz - window title bar disappears 
MEPIS Novice
MEPIS  Novice

Have thanks: 0 time
Post # 174215
Post Compiz - window title bar disappears
When I enable Compiz, windows lose their title bars and widgets. So Compiz is unusable - help !!! :dizzy:

Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:53 pm
MEPIS Rules!
MEPIS Rules!

Post # 174233
Well I wouldn't say its unusable but your correct in thinking it's a bit unstable. I'm sure just about everyone here loses the title bars on Windows at some time when using Compiz. Put it down to an anomally thats yet to be discovered. I normally solve it by simply reloading Compiz from the Compiz-icon in the Taskbar which is far easier than some of the other hoops I've had to jump through to get it back up and running on other occasions. Sorry I don't have an answer apart from to say Compiz works to a degree.. I've had it working worse at other times and on other versions of Mepis and in other Distro's...My advice is if you're not a tinkerer and are new to Linux then don't use it.

Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:00 pm
MEPIS is cool!
MEPIS is cool!

Have thanks: 121 times
Post # 174241
Post oh, and *welcome*
mhl wrote:
When I enable Compiz, windows lose their title bars and widgets. So Compiz is unusable - help !!! :dizzy:

hi,

do you have fusion-icon installed? ccsm (conpiz config settings manager)? also what kind of card? if it's nvidia then this might be just what you are looking for.

also, as previously mentioned tell us a little about the machine, graphics card, mghzs, cpu(s), ram... as well as how you installed compiz-fusion, which version...
:beach: -->easy<--
ps something like -> emerald --replace <- without the arrows.
pps i like it, if you couldn't tell <ohhh>. ;-)

speedtest.net
:happy: >>> :spoon-fed: ;-)

Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:09 pm
Profile WWW
MEPIS Rules!
MEPIS Rules!

Have thanks: 4 times
Post # 174248
Did you install it from the default repos? If you did the first thing I would ask is did you also install compiz-kde?

Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:51 pm
MEPIS Novice
MEPIS  Novice

Post # 174290
hi,

do you have fusion-icon installed? ccsm (conpiz config settings manager)? also what kind of card? if it's nvidia then this might be just what you are looking for.

also, as previously mentioned tell us a little about the machine, graphics card, mghzs, cpu(s), ram... as well as how you installed compiz-fusion, which version...

loco-
Yes, fusion-icon and ccsm installed. I followed the link and instructions in this thread (post #12) and installed compiz-fusion-all (Lenny) from Shame's repo.

PC is Athlon 64X2 4200+, 3 GB RAM, graphics card is Nvidia 7600 with 512 MB RAM. nvidia-xconfig and nvidia-kernel-2.6.27-1-mepis-smp are also installed. I tried the xconfig setting in your link but it trashed my xorg.conf.

nlyric wrote:
mhl,
Did you install it from the default repos? If you did the first thing I would ask is did you also install compiz-kde?

Yes, compiz-kde also installed.

I have not experienced such problems with Compiz under PCLinuxOS, Mint 6 or Ubuntu 8.10 which all work flawlessly.

Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:38 am
Administrator

Have thanks: 1289 times
Post # 174292
You might try emerald --replace from the command line, and reload Window manager from the fusion icon. If this works add emerald --replace in the compiz settings Effects section, WindowDecoration, Command. Make sure you have emerald installed.

Rich

Acer Laptop V5-572G: Intel i5, 12 GIG mem, nVidia GT720M/Intel integrated graphics
Mx-14 Symbiosis
Kubuntu 13.10, KDE 4.11.2

Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:00 am
MEPIS Enthusiast
MEPIS Enthusiast

Have thanks: 1668 times
Post # 174293
You might double-check that the package versions related to Compiz all match. The Compiz from Shame's repo would be .7.9 something, and from Lenny, .7.6. Fusion-icon should be 1.0x, though. I looked at the instructions you posted; usually you have to resort to aptitude to get Shame's version to install, and that's why I want to double-check.

Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:15 am
MEPIS Rules!
MEPIS Rules!

Have thanks: 4 times
Post # 174294
And I assume it makes no difference using either emerald or kde window decoration. Is that right? (rt clk compiz fusion icon--choose window decorator)
Quote:
I tried the xconfig setting in your link but it trashed my xorg.conf.
Does the same for me.
I am not sure what to suggest other then try the version from the Mepis repos rather then from Shames. You just won't have emerald. I am using the one from the default repos but Shames works well for me too.

Edit::::Didn't see Rich and Stevos posts I would check out what they suggest for sure--- Good luck

Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:16 am
MEPIS Novice
MEPIS  Novice

Post # 174324
Well, I have tried emerald --replace, uninstalling all of Shame's compiz and re-installing from the Mepis repos, ensuring that all components are the same version number - but still no luck. I'm not going to bother any more - it's not critical to operations, although disappointing that I can't get Mepis to handle compiz when other distros can support it without this fuss.

Thanks for your suggestions everyone who replied.

Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:44 pm
MEPIS is cool!
MEPIS is cool!

Have thanks: 121 times
Post # 174329

yeah, hi there

thanks for all the replies... referring to the goodness in post #5 you machine shall perform immaculately, in a minute.

which drivers for the "7600" and how did you install them? i have knoticed a couple of times? that i needed to reinstall (drivers only) then all is “just peachy.â€Â

Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:07 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next