View unanswered posts | View unsolved topics | View active topics |

Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
How to edit the Wiki 
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Have thanks: 1886 times
Post # 193959
Post How to edit the Wiki
New User Accounts: The new account setup may well be turned off, so send me a PM and I will get you registered.
------
Somebody recently asked in a post that people "who know how to edit the Wiki" change something for him. The purpose of this sticky (mods, please) is to make sure everyone knows how to edit the Wiki, since it is suppposed to be a Community project.

NOTE -- Everything in this post and more is available by clicking the link Wiki help in the left panel, where there are also further resources for the curious or needy.

Getting started
1. To work on the Wiki you must have an account and be logged in. Create an account on this page, and then log in.
2. Once you are logged in, you will see tabs at the top of the page: discussion, edit, history, etc, depending on the page.
3. Start by reviewing content areas where you feel comfortable. Click the edit tab, and fix bad links, correct spelling errors, resolve formatting problems, update references, etc.
4. Add HOW-TOs and other info. In general this is beneficial and harmless as long as the info is accurate. If you screw something up, someone can fix it... that's what is nice about a Wiki.
5. For other ways to help, check out articles that are incomplete or need updating.

Editing an existing page
1. To edit a page either click "edit" link on top of the page or double-click on the page if you have that option enabled.
2. We are arranging stuff in clear categories. Add the appropriate link, e.g. [[Categories:Hardware]], at the bottom of pages you create or edit (if not already there).

Adding a new page
1. The easiest way to create a new page is to put the name of it in the search box and click on Go, then click where it says "You can create this page."
2. You can also create a new page by writing its name like this: [[New page name]] in an existing page. Then click and follow the link to add info to the new page.
3. Remember to place new articles in a predefined Category by adding a link [[Category:CategoryName]] at the bottom of the page.
4. So that people can find your page, try to link to it from an existing parent page that is easy to find from the main page.
5. The Wiki is case sensitive. A page named "User Guides" is different from a page named "User guides". As a general rule, try to keep all the words in the titles and categories in lower case except for the beginning of the first word, which the Wiki software capitalizes by default, and the word MEPIS.

Linking
1. Linking to a wiki page: write the desired page name inside two pairs of square brackets: [[page name]]. To show a different name use a pipe: [[page name | new name]]
2. If the page has a subsection to which you want to link, you can add its name to the page name connected by a pound sign, like this: [[page name#Section]]
3. Linking to a web page: write the URL inside a pair of square brackets: [URL]. To display a description instead of the URL, add a space and the description, like this: [URL description]

Formatting
1. Bullets: use the asterisk * sign.
2. Numbering: use the # sign.
3. Indentation: use the colon ":" (without the quotes) at the start of the row
4. Code or other boxed text: start line with a space, for longer texts or scripts surround the text in <pre></pre> tags.
5. Italics: click the top bar icon, or use two pairs of apostrophes: ''text''
6. Bold: click the bar icon, or use the three pairs of apostrophes: '''text'''
7. Sign your comments on discussion pages with 4 tildes: ~~~~

Adding images
1. Images can be a great help in understanding certain procedures.
2. Please be careful about image size and format. Look at what others have done.
3. Images are uploaded by following the link "Upload file" in the left panel which takes you to the upload page.

You can test your Wiki skills here without consequences.

Last edited by Jerry3904 on Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:00 am
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Have thanks: 135 times
Post # 193963
And the easiest way to learn is to do it. :wink:

The way I'm learning (slowly) is by having two tabs open. One has the page I work on. The other has a completed page - open for editing - just so I can see the syntax.

Once you get started it's not that hard. And there is a preview option so you can see how it looks before you post.

If you want to give a bit back to the Community - keeping the Wiki up to date is probably the easiest method of contributing. You can do it in your own time. And the legacy you leave will be of assistance to all who follow ....

Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:18 am
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Have thanks: 3 times
Post # 193996

The link to the sigup page didnt actually give me a link to create an account. But I noticed this the other day when looking at the media side on the wiki:

http://www.mepis.org/docs/en/index.php/MPlayer_fix

Code:
2) Open /etc/mplayer/mplayer.conf

Set these options like below:
zoom=yes
double=yes

You dont need to be root to fix this you can just edit the cong file in your home folder. Mine being /home/voorhees/.mplayer/config

Then just add:

Code:
zoom=yes
double=yes

Into that file. I would change it myself but as I said i couldnt see the option on the linked page to actually register. No point in being root to change something if you dont have to.

Cheers

Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:26 pm
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post # 193997
Not sure what is going on for you, but that link works fine for me here, and at the bottom of the info boxes is a button "Create Account."

Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:30 pm
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post # 193998
Strange. I get this when clicking the link from your first post:

Maybe something to do with using this new opera. Will have to try firefox.

Thanks

Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:41 pm
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post # 193999
No, you are right. I saw the other page because I am a registered user, but when I logged out and tried to create an account I got your page.

I will try to get Warren to correct that, we have worked on it before.

Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:47 pm
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Have thanks: 2271 times
Post # 194000

https://www.mepis.org/user/register

allow a user to login and create/edit wiki articles?

The reason I ask is because I registered a mepis.org several years ago (2004 I think) when there was a forum there. It seems like its that login {same username and password} that allows me to login to the wiki .

Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:05 pm
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post # 194002

I just tried to register at mepis.org which went fine. But those details won't allow me to login to the wiki. So that's a no :)

Cheers

Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:41 pm
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post # 194004
Will registering at mepis.org:

https://www.mepis.org/user/register

allow a user to login and create/edit wiki articles

I'm pretty sure that's right, I think that's the way I'm registered for the wiki also.
Wayne

EDIT: oops voorhees1979, must have been typing the same time as I was, maybe being able to register this way has changed in the past 3 or 4 years since I registered.

Intel 845 Graphics
512M RAM
Maxtor 160G
Western Digital 40G

I have windows,just not on my computer.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Image

Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:43 pm
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post # 194020
maybe being able to register this way has changed in the past 3 or 4 years since I registered

It has changed, as the page-that-can't-be-seen states.

Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:32 pm
Reply to topic   [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next