MEPIS Community Forum

A Linux operating system based on Debian Stable
View unanswered posts | View unsolved topics | View active topics |



Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Kernel Check Discussion 
Author Message
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:23 am
Posts: 549
Has thanked: 80 times
Have thanks: 43 times
Post # 224908
Post 
Stevo wrote:
I wonder if Master Kernel could redo kernelcheck to work like that.


Hi Just noticed this ref to kernelcheck and wondered if you'd heard about this problem with it?

>>>
Testing your network connection...
Connection found.
have not read
read feed
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/share/kernelcheck/scripts/main.py", line 502, in get_data
patch_url, patch, stable, stable_url, OldKernelList, OldKernelLinks, prepatch, prepatch_url = self.kernelinfo()
File "/usr/share/kernelcheck/scripts/main.py", line 126, in kernelinfo
KPParser.close()
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/HTMLParser.py", line 112, in close
self.goahead(1)
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/HTMLParser.py", line 164, in goahead
self.error("EOF in middle of construct")
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/HTMLParser.py", line 115, in error
raise HTMLParseError(message, self.getpos())
HTMLParser.HTMLParseError: EOF in middle of construct, at line 7, column 11
>>>

I had a look around and downloaded some script (.py) patches but the errors are more or less the same once 1.2.5-3 is patched.
The errors I've just typed in are from running the repo version 1.2.5-4mlrepo3(mepis). Pity as I find it's a very useful util.:(

_________________
M-8.5rel01_64
M-10.9.82_a4_64


Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:51 am
Profile
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:07 pm
Posts: 8694
Location: Skullcrusher Mountain, Santee, CA USA
Has thanked: 582 times
Have thanks: 1953 times
Post # 225054
Post 
The same problem seems to affect Ubuntu users, too.

Good news is that the developer is active again and may have a new 1.5 version soon. And the revised do-it-yourself version in the Mepis wiki also works well; I just patched and built the latest 2.6.33 Liquorix kernel using that method an hour ago.


Zevon wrote:
Hi Just noticed this ref to kernelcheck and wondered if you'd heard about this problem with it?

>>>
Testing your network connection...
Connection found.
have not read
read feed
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/share/kernelcheck/scripts/main.py", line 502, in get_data
patch_url, patch, stable, stable_url, OldKernelList, OldKernelLinks, prepatch, prepatch_url = self.kernelinfo()
File "/usr/share/kernelcheck/scripts/main.py", line 126, in kernelinfo
KPParser.close()
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/HTMLParser.py", line 112, in close
self.goahead(1)
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/HTMLParser.py", line 164, in goahead
self.error("EOF in middle of construct")
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/HTMLParser.py", line 115, in error
raise HTMLParseError(message, self.getpos())
HTMLParser.HTMLParseError: EOF in middle of construct, at line 7, column 11
>>>

I had a look around and downloaded some script (.py) patches but the errors are more or less the same once 1.2.5-3 is patched.
The errors I've just typed in are from running the repo version 1.2.5-4mlrepo3(mepis). Pity as I find it's a very useful util.:(


Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:14 pm
Profile
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:14 pm
Posts: 5
Has thanked: 0 time
Have thanks: 1 time
Post # 225238
Post 
Unfortunately, my week off ended today :(.

I also doubt the 1.5 version will be out for a few more months - but it looks great so far - besides the actual compiling part. I'm currently working on patching 1.2.5... again. Hopefully Scott can pick up any pieces I leave behind if I go inactive again.


Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:16 pm
Profile
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:14 pm
Posts: 5
Has thanked: 0 time
Have thanks: 1 time
Post # 225252
Post 
The version in trunk is now fixed - just issues with the application menu again but I think Steve had a patch for that in his version.


Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:57 pm

master_kernel thanked by: smilliken
Profile
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:07 pm
Posts: 8694
Location: Skullcrusher Mountain, Santee, CA USA
Has thanked: 582 times
Have thanks: 1953 times
Post # 225313
Post 
Thanks--I will try a rebuild from the trunk source...since the 1.5 version requires Python 2.6, and I got a failure trying to port that back to Mepis, that's good news.

Has any thought been given to having kernelcheck use fakeroot to build the kernel as a regular user in the user's $HOME instead of in /usr/src? The Debianites strongly suggested that on their user forums, and I changed our wiki here to that method, same as used on the Ubuntu wiki. When I do it, the build and source links in /lib/modules always come out pointing to the build folder, whether it's /usr/src/linux with kernelcheck or someplace in my home folder if manually done...so i just run a little scriplet to point them to the kernel header folders. It only seems to be an issue for the person that built the debs; other machines get the header links correct upon install. I know you'd have to switch to root access to install the kernel and modules after the build.


Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:55 am
Profile
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:14 pm
Posts: 5
Has thanked: 0 time
Have thanks: 1 time
Post # 225463
Post 
Stevo wrote:
Thanks--I will try a rebuild from the trunk source...since the 1.5 version requires Python 2.6, and I got a failure trying to port that back to Mepis, that's good news.

Has any thought been given to having kernelcheck use fakeroot to build the kernel as a regular user in the user's $HOME instead of in /usr/src? The Debianites strongly suggested that on their user forums, and I changed our wiki here to that method, same as used on the Ubuntu wiki. When I do it, the build and source links in /lib/modules always come out pointing to the build folder, whether it's /usr/src/linux with kernelcheck or someplace in my home folder if manually done...so i just run a little scriplet to point them to the kernel header folders. It only seems to be an issue for the person that built the debs; other machines get the header links correct upon install. I know you'd have to switch to root access to install the kernel and modules after the build.


I've actually changed the Master Kernel Thread to add $USER to the src group which has write access to /usr/src and compile the kernel with fakeroot. I just have to figure out a way to su to the USER while still maintaining access in the script. Possibly su -c, but I need to find a better way.


Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:37 pm
Profile
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:07 pm
Posts: 8694
Location: Skullcrusher Mountain, Santee, CA USA
Has thanked: 582 times
Have thanks: 1953 times
Post # 225548
Post 
master_kernel wrote:
I've actually changed the Master Kernel Thread to add $USER to the src group which has write access to /usr/src and compile the kernel with fakeroot. I just have to figure out a way to su to the USER while still maintaining access in the script. Possibly su -c, but I need to find a better way.


OK...but you can compile the kernel debs without any root access at all if you build with fakeroot inside the user's home folder someplace instead of usr/src. It's no different than how we build deb packages for our repository using fakeroot. I can see that access will still be needed to install the kernel build-depends...but I wonder if there's some way to use fakeroot to also build external kernel modules. Those are getting pretty scarce now, anyway, with dkms building modules automatically as soon as the kernels and headers are installed.


Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:16 am
Profile
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:07 pm
Posts: 8694
Location: Skullcrusher Mountain, Santee, CA USA
Has thanked: 582 times
Have thanks: 1953 times
Post # 225918
Post 
Come to think of it, I'd rather have the kernelcheck deb depend on the kernel building tools instead of having the program do an apt update and make sure they are installed every time. They would have to be if the package depends on them, and then kernelcheck would not need root access to do that. Users that use the raw setup.py file can take a look at the README file to see what they need to install.


Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:52 am
Profile
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:07 pm
Posts: 8694
Location: Skullcrusher Mountain, Santee, CA USA
Has thanked: 582 times
Have thanks: 1953 times
Post # 226994
Post 
OK, I've done a pull from the bzr trunk and repackaged it, the source files and arch-independent deb are here. It ought to work on 8.0 and 8.5, and has fixed the bug.

Link: https://sites.google.com/site/stevosfilehideaway/Home/more-files/kernelcheck-fixed-16_april_2010.zip


Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:22 am
Profile
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:59 pm
Posts: 3259
Location: Deep South, New Zealand
Has thanked: 67 times
Have thanks: 135 times
Post # 226997
Post 
I moved this discussion to it's own thread since it has little to do with the wiki review any longer.

_________________
Desktop - Win 8-64 : Corsair 520HX, P5Q Pro, Q6600 G0 @ 3Ghz, 4Gb DDR2 1066, Asus GTX560 OC, 3xWD 500Gb Sata2, Asus CD/DVD, Logitech Wave Kb, G5, C300 Cam, Audio-gd NFB-12 + LD MKIV + GigaWorks T20.
Netbook - Ubuntu 12.04 64b, Asus 1015PED 2Gb Ram


Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:09 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

Protected by Anti-Spam ACP Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware for PTF.