MEPIS Community Forum

A Linux operating system based on Debian Stable
View unanswered posts | View unsolved topics | View active topics |

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Mepis 8.5 Cr - Apt Preferences (important) 
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Have thanks: 97 times
Post # 229490
If you are talking about extra ones on the desktop, just unlock the widgets, then hover the mouse over the edge of them and there should be a small pop out type of window. Just click on the "x" and they will be gone.

HP CP1215/Brother DCP-7065DN
Linux User# 4523410

Mon May 03, 2010 9:30 am
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Have thanks: 290 times
Post # 229493
No. I'm talking about the list that comes up that you select you right click on the desktop and select the Add Widgets menu choice.

It's got dupes in it because I installed the same Widgets more than once (you can install more Widgets from other sources like kde-look.org from that screen, and once installed, they show up in the list of available Widgets you see). When looking for more Clocks, Weather applets, etc., I accidentally installed the same ones more than once (there's no real dupe checking built in to keep you from doing that from what I can tell).

Mon May 03, 2010 10:07 am
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Have thanks: 2313 times
Post # 229494
No. I'm talking about the list that comes up that you select you right click on the desktop and select the Add Widgets menu choice.

It's got dupes in it because I installed the same Widgets more than once (you can install more Widgets from other sources like kde-look.org from that screen, and once installed, they show up in the list of available Widgets you see). When looking for more Clocks, Weather applets, etc., I accidentally installed the same ones more than once (there's no real dupe checking built in to keep you from doing that from what I can tell).

In that list, click on the widget you want to remove so that it becomes highlighted. Then click on the red minus sign. {then close the Add Widgets window}

Mon May 03, 2010 10:13 am
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Post # 229499
I don't see a red minus sign anywhere when I click on one of them in the list. Here's a screen capture showing what I see:

Click for a larger version:
[url=http://www.pbase.com/image/124175779/original.jpg]
[/url]

Mon May 03, 2010 10:46 am
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Post # 229500

I did see a red minus sign by the Application Launcher. Just for the heck of it, I clicked on it. That was a mistake (as it removed it from the Panel where it was acting as the Start Menu), and did not effect it being in the list (which is a good thing, since I wouldn't have wanted to remove that one). ;-)

My guess is that there is probably a text file somewhere with the list of available Widgets (hopefully, it's something as simple as that anyway, so I can find a way to get rid of the dupes).

Mon May 03, 2010 10:57 am
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Have thanks: 2313 times
Post # 229505
Are those "Analog Clock" widgets (which I assume you are trying to remove) from the "Install New Widgets > Download New Google Gadgets" action?

If they are, maybe the Google gadgets aren't set up to be removable from the list. Can you just right click on widgets themselves and get a selection to remove them?

On losing your panel's application launcher:

You can get the panel's Application launcher back by bringing up the Add Widgets window for the panel (instead of the Add Widgets window for the desktop)

Right click on the panel and then choose Add Widgets and add the application launcher. (If the panel is locked, choose Unlock Widgets, then right click the panel a second time to bring up the Add Widgets window)

You can highlight the Application Launcher widget and then press the add widget button. Or you can drag the Application Launcher widget to where you want it on the panel.

Mon May 03, 2010 11:24 am
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Post # 229510
No, I don't see any way to remove them, regardless of what I click on. I was browsing through the list of available widgets and didn't realize that I'd installed the same ones more than once in some cases (like the Analog Clock entries you see), and I have not found a way to get rid of the dupes yet.

As for the Application Launcher, I just messed up this laptop pretty bad. LOL

I added it back to the panel as a first step. Then, when I went to move it to where I wanted it (on the left side of the bottom panel), I accidentally "shrank" the part that has the clock, volume, etc. I couldn't figure out a way to get it back the way it was when I was still in "Panel Settings" to move it. So, I decided to "get smart" and powered down the PC (long hold of on/off button, thinking that my changes where I messed up would not have been saved yet). That was an even bigger mistake, as after rebooting, it was only partially visible and I couldn't get to what was being shown at all. Grrrrrr.

It's a darn good thing I backed up this laptop earlier. I made a full disk image backup using ddrescue from a Live Mepis 8.5 DVD (using the 8.5.03=rel1 USB ISO I used to install Mepis), before and after I changed around his Windows config and partitioned the drive). I also made a separate image file of sda7 (the partition I had Mepis 8.5 installed on) after I thought I was mostly finished with changes. So, I just booted back into the Live DVD and restored the partition from the backup image file (I've got it on an external drive).

Here's all I needed to do to restore the partition (copying the sda7.img file I made earlier from a USB attached drive using ddrescue). Please ignore my typos changing folders. LOL I just plugged in the USB drive, clicked on it to open Dolphin and mount it, and used ddrescue to restore the image file I had of /sda7 (saving time compared to restoring the entire drive).

Click on the image for a Larger Version:
[url=http://www.pbase.com/image/124178083/original.jpg]
[/url]

So, I'm back to where I was before I messed it up. When I finish with this laptop and go over the use of what I've changed with it's owner, I'll make sure to suggest that he does *not* attempt to change the Panel, add more Widgets to the Desktop, etc., without a really good backup. It's too easy to mess something up. I'll make sure to leave the panels and desktops locked. :-)

P.S.

IOW, it's going to look like this again, and I'll need to make the changes to the preferences file, Synaptic, etc. one more time (since those were made after my backup of the partition that I just restored from an image file of it).

Click for larger version:
[url=http://www.pbase.com/image/124172520/original.jpg]
[/url]

IOW, you only need one command (as root) to restore an image file of a partition from a mounted USB attached drive after booting into Mepis from a Live DVD or CD). For example, I'm restoring an image file named sda7.img on /media/disk (an external USB attached Drive I plugged in) in this case, restoring it to /dev/sda7 on the laptop's hard drive.

su
ddrescue /media/disk/sda7.img /dev/sda7

It's just as easy to backup a partition or drive using ddrescue (only one simple command as root). Whew (I'm glad I backed it up earlier this morning)

Mon May 03, 2010 12:40 pm
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Have thanks: 97 times
Post # 229572

Don't know if this will help with the plasmoids, but I had 2 Daisy plasmoids in that list and used the following command to remove.

Quote:
plasmapkg -r <filename>

One had been compiled by me, the other was a deb from the repos in my case.

HP CP1215/Brother DCP-7065DN
Linux User# 4523410

Tue May 04, 2010 12:27 am
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Have thanks: 0 time
Post # 230353

Linux User #266786

Mon May 10, 2010 9:25 am
Profile ICQ WWW
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2