System no longer stable

You can ask for help with video cards, tv cards, dvb, monitors, webcams, digital cameras and software related to these devices, here. Tutorials about these devices can be posted here, too.
dnaddor

System no longer stable

#1 Postby dnaddor » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:41 am

This has happened 4 times in the last 24 hours. I close a window, and suddenly my screen turns all black with white vertical lines. The keyboard is dead. Other computers can't ping this one. It looks like a complete crash.

This all began with the update to xserver-xorg-core. I had to run sgfxi to be able to have a desktop. I ran sgfxi a second time but it still happened.

I assume this is a new problem in the ATI driver. I have a Radeon 3450.
'
Is there a log file somewhere that might give me a clue why the system crashed?

Besides going out to the store and buying an inexpensive NVDIA card, any suggestion what I can do to make my system stable again? This is the machine that I make my living from, and this is the first time in 5 years of running Linux + Mepis that I feel -- well -- worried.

Thanks!

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#2 Postby Stevo » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:17 pm

The older xorg packages are still preserved at snapshot.debian.org, and possibly could be reinstalled and pinned. Do you have a Synaptic history of which updates caused the issue?
The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds, and the pessimist fears this is true.

James Branch Cabell

joany
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#3 Postby joany » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:38 pm

dnaddor wrote:This is the machine that I make my living from, and this is the first time in 5 years of running Linux + Mepis that I feel -- well -- worried.

... and you don't have a system backup?

There are many people who have reported major difficulties following the recent xserver-xorg-core upgrade. Reinstalling the graphics driver seems to be the cure. But since you've already tried that and your system is still unstable, follow Stevo's advice and see if you can revert to the older version of xserver-xorg-core. If that works, then pin the package ... and start making system backups. :wink:
MX-14; 3.12-0.bpo.1-686-pae kernel using 4GB RAM
2.4GHz AMD Athlon 4600+
NVidia GeForce 6150 LE; 304.121 Display Driver
You didn't slow down because you're old; you're old because you slowed down.

loco
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

ouch, vid problems :(

#4 Postby loco » Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:10 pm

you might have to back-out to a previous video-driver, did the versions change?

try /var/log/Xorg.0.log looking for Ws and EEs. you could always change it back to vesa for awhile, i think.

best of luck

zero experience here with ati, flgrx, sorry.

dnaddor

#5 Postby dnaddor » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:04 pm

I have a backup, but only make one every 1 or 2 weeks and I hate losing stuff done since the last backup. I know I should learn RSYNC ...

I went to the computer store, bought an NVIDIA compatible card for $39 (with a $10 rebate), and it is working great.

Sometimes, it's just not worth figuring out a problem if you can avoid it. Thanks for the help -- Mepis Land is full of great and helpful people!

lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#6 Postby lucky9 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:38 am

Take a look at grsync. I think that's the name. It's a gnome app that gives a usable GUI to rsync. A bootable LiveCD of CloneZilla does the job fairly well also. I like the tools on the PartedMagic LiveCD. It includes both of the above.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

Return to “Video-Related”