All of debian-multimedia's Lenny packages seem to be gone

Discussion about the MEPIS Community's Repo.
Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

All of debian-multimedia's Lenny packages seem to be gone

#1 Postby Stevo » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:53 pm

and aren't coming back--I would guess some kind of goof during the switch from stable to oldstable.

So...I can think of backporting libdvdcss2 to the 8.5 CR, and hopefully Tim has 8.0 set up for backports, too...though my new laptop has a big hard drive and supports 64-bit VMs, so I can add 8.0 VMs now, too. I suppose we can just rebuild mcr80+1 versions from most of the sources in the 8.5 restricted CR, but that's a pretty big load on top of the M11 packages. Maybe we can recruit new packagers, since these should be easy rebuilds, as the backports have already been done and any tweaking has already been carried out.

Jimmy Johnson
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Re: All of debian-multimedia's Lenny packages seem to be gon

#2 Postby Jimmy Johnson » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:10 am

From http://debian-multimedia.org/

"07/02/2011 :
Oldstable is completely broken and I can't restore this release, so the best is to remove Oldstable.
Sorry"

From me: Maybe change Lenny to stable and see what happens.

*Warning*

* Just in case you are wondering, changing Lenny to stable WILL break your Mepis 8.0/8.5 system.
Last edited by Jimmy Johnson on Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Registered Linux User #380263
Registered Linux Computer #279395
Linux, working hard to save you $$$ - Get a clue, get Linux!
Intel Pentium D 2.80GHz
Intel Desktop Board D945GTP
Intel ICH7 Ethernet Controller
Intel ICH7 Audio
nVidia GeForce 6200 Video

zeeone
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#3 Postby zeeone » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:05 am

I just loaded 8.0.10 on a test drive for me to play with and goober up with out damage to the main machine and the same repos for 8.0 are not responding.

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#4 Postby Stevo » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:40 am

From me: Maybe change Lenny to stable and see what happens.

Stable=Squeeze now, and that's asking for trouble. Any volunteers? It would probably be safer to add the Mepis 8.5 and 8.5 CRs, they at least are still rooted in the core Lenny libraries. I'm sending libdvdcss2 up to the 8.5 restricted CR to fix that problem, at least.

GoManutd
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#5 Postby GoManutd » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:00 am

this is troubling. i checked the debian site and they did have a recently article about keyring renewals for all the repos, but no mention about how to get the multimedia repo working - heck that it was even effected

kmathern
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#6 Postby kmathern » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:25 am

Almost a week ago I mentioned that the Debian Multimedia oldstable repos had been removed and nobody seemed to pick up on it: viewtopic.php?p=261358#p261358

timkb4cq
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#7 Postby timkb4cq » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:37 am

This was a problem that happened when Christian Marillat added Wheeze to Debian-Multimedia.
The d-m lenny repository got so messed up he couldn't easily restore it.
Given that he has been building packages for 4 versions (Experimental, unstable, testing, stable), I'm not surprised he decided not to rebuild everything for lenny (now oldstable) as well. Desktop use of lenny is going to rapidly decline now that it's oldstable.
We can fill in some of the critical ones in the CR - libvdpau1 somes to mind - but we don't have the packagers at this point to do them all. And it has to be packagers in "safe" countries, i.e. those that don't recognize software patents. I don't have a good list of those, but I do know that the U.S, Australia, & Japan are definitely not "safe" in that sense. So I can't build restricted packages.
MSI 970A-G43 MB, AMD FX-6300 (six core), 16GB RAM, GeForce 730, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD, Seagate Barracuda XT 3TB

joany
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#8 Postby joany » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:59 am

Haven't the Debian crew ever heard of the term "back up"?
MX-14; 3.12-0.bpo.1-686-pae kernel using 4GB RAM
2.4GHz AMD Athlon 4600+
NVidia GeForce 6150 LE; 304.121 Display Driver
You didn't slow down because you're old; you're old because you slowed down.

timkb4cq
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#9 Postby timkb4cq » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:21 am

The official Debian repositories are backed up six ways from sunday.
Debian-Multimedia has been mostly Christian Marillat. He's done an amazing amount of good work with little help. From the FAQ:
Q.How many people are working on debian-multimedia ?
A. Two. Thibaut Varene for alpha, hppa and ia64 archs and myself for amd64, armel, i386, mipsel, powerpc and sparc archs.
I've hit the Donate button on his site once or twice to help with his hosting.
MSI 970A-G43 MB, AMD FX-6300 (six core), 16GB RAM, GeForce 730, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD, Seagate Barracuda XT 3TB

zeeone
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#10 Postby zeeone » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:17 pm

timkb4cq wrote:This was a problem that happened when Christian Marillat added Wheeze to Debian-Multimedia.
The d-m lenny repository got so messed up he couldn't easily restore it.
Given that he has been building packages for 4 versions (Experimental, unstable, testing, stable), I'm not surprised he decided not to rebuild everything for lenny (now oldstable) as well. Desktop use of lenny is going to rapidly decline now that it's oldstable.
We can fill in some of the critical ones in the CR - libvdpau1 somes to mind - but we don't have the packagers at this point to do them all. And it has to be packagers in "safe" countries, i.e. those that don't recognize software patents. I don't have a good list of those, but I do know that the U.S, Australia, & Japan are definitely not "safe" in that sense. So I can't build restricted packages.

I do know that Debian does normally keeps the old repos intact just because they still support back to the i386 system. There still a lot of older servers still running out there. I have an old AMD 500 mhz K6II desk top still up and running MS 3.3.1. I do not use for the internet, just for file and data collection at a remote location. I think it has been about two years since that I have brought it back in and hook high speed to it to see what repos are there. But, I set the machine up a little over three years ago, tho the OS was way out of date, the repos were still intact.
They just might have it down working a bad boo boo. About two weeks ago while reloading my main machine with MS 8.0.10, this repo was not working to well. It took five or six times before I got a lock on it, I just wanted to download Acroreader from it. If need be, and I do not know if it can be done, can the info of what is in this repo be extracted from Synaptic manager, in case the repo does not come back?
Research, Research, Research, Before You Walk The Plank.
Registered Linux User # 398829

Return to “CR Discussion”