View unanswered posts | View unsolved topics | View active topics |

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Shifting Display and Setting Monitor Type 
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Have thanks: 0 time
Post # 274572
Post Shifting Display and Setting Monitor Type
Took a bit of work to get things installed, but I'm on Mepis 11 now. I have one issue and one question.

I need to shift the display a few pixels to the left. There is a black bar of about 1/4" on the LCD monitor on the left and about that much of the display goes off the screen on the right.

There is a way to manually adjust this in the monitor, but I use the same monitor with a KMV switch for four different systems and this is not the only one that is shifted. It worked fine under Mepis 8.

But in looking around, I also notice that the display size and orientation shows a refresh rate of 71.0 Hz. The only other option is "auto" and it has no effect on anything. Below is also the "Position" settings. It shows "Absolute" with no other option and entering anything into the two numeric boxes to the left crashes the program (and leaves them showing zero when you start up again).

I have looked at the xorg.conf file but I'll admit tinkering with config files is something that I have not clue about. But I am curious if there is a way to set the monitor type like there use to be?

I am using the vesa driver, so I'm not even sure the xorg.conf file is the right place to tinker.

Reading the forum, I did remove the packages having to do with the touch pad so that error message no longer comes up. Also removed the bluetooth packages since I don't use them.

Overall the upgrade was pretty straight forward and I like what I see so far--I just gotta get the screen shifted a bit... :-)

Thanks,
Jim

Sat May 21, 2011 5:28 pm
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Have thanks: 243 times
Post # 274573
Post Re: Shifting Display and Setting Monitor Type
Hello; welcome to the forum.

Are you able to post details of the hardware you are using, in particular the graphics?

Chris

Sat May 21, 2011 5:51 pm
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Have thanks: 887 times
Post # 274602
Follow the instructions here: http://www.mepis.org/docs/en/index.php?title=Inxi
and post the result.

Sat May 21, 2011 9:11 pm
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Have thanks: 0 time
Post # 274653
Slick command. It's an on-board graphics chip in a generic system, so I really wasn't sure what I had until I ran this:

Code:
System:    Host opus Kernel 2.6.36-1-mepis-smp i686 (32 bit) Desktop KDE 4.5.3 (Qt 4.7.1) Distro MEPIS 11.0 squeeze                                             
CPU:       Single core AMD Athlon XP 1500+ (-UP-) cache 256 KB flags (sse) bmips 2700.42 clocked at 1350.214 MHz                                               
Graphics:  Card: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 65x/M650/740 PCI/AGP VGA Display Adapter bus-ID: 01:00.0 X.Org 1.7.7 Res: 1024x768@71.0hz                     
           GLX Renderer Software Rasterizer GLX Version 2.1 Mesa 7.7.1 Direct Rendering Yes                                                                     
Audio:     Card Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] AC'97 Sound Controller driver Intel ICH ports dc00 d800 bus-ID: 00:02.7                                       
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Version 1.0.23             
Network:   Card ADMtek NC100 Network Everywhere Fast Ethernet 10/100 driver tulip v: 1.1.15-NAPI port d400 bus-ID: 00:09.0                                     
Disks:     HDD Total Size: 160.1GB (78.7% used) 1: /dev/sda ST340014A 40.0GB   
           2: /dev/sdb TOSHIBA_MK1237GS 120.0GB                                 
Partition: ID:/ size: 9.7G used: 3.7G (40%) fs: ext3 ID:/home size: 27G used: 22G (86%) fs: ext3                                                               
           ID:swap-1 size: 1.05GB used: 0.01GB (1%) fs: swap                   
Repos:     Active apt sources in file: /etc/apt/sources.list                   
           deb ftp://ftp.mirrorservice.org/sites/ftp.mepis.org/mepis/ mepis-11.0 main                                                                           
           deb ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/ squeeze main contrib non-free       
           deb http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates main contrib non-free
           deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian squeeze-updates main               
Info:      Processes 140 Uptime 11:45 Memory 434.6/723.0MB Runlevel 5 Client Shell inxi 1.5.0

Thanks,
Jim

Sun May 22, 2011 5:26 am
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Have thanks: 887 times
Post # 274664
For the SiS chipset graphics we probably need someone familiar with getting them to work. But it looks like you have direct rendering enabled so I think that's fine.
I do know that the VESA driver will work for the 2D OS needs. Though it shouldn't be used if what I'm reading is working for you.

As for screen position. The only time I've ever had this problem I just used the monitor's adjustments. That fixed my problem for all of my operating systems at that time.

If it doesn't then a cheatcode setting the refresh rate or other graphic value may help. See here: http://www.mepis.org/docs/en/index.php?title=Cheatcodes

Sun May 22, 2011 7:35 am

lucky9 thanked by: werdigo49
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Have thanks: 1 time
Post # 295411
lucky9 wrote:
As for screen position. The only time I've ever had this problem I just used the monitor's adjustments. That fixed my problem for all of my operating systems at that time.

Thank you, lucky! New monitor here, and I'd never even looked for the adjustment buttons. I hadn't been able to use full-sized apps because the vertical scroll bar wasn't visible. Now all OK!

EDIT: OTOH... I often switch among OS's, and find that I have to readjust the monitor (from Horizontal 30, which gets me the right-side vertical scroll bars on Mepis, back to Horizontal 50) when I run a different Linux OS. So the hardware adjustment isn't really satisfactory. Need to find something to adjust in the Mepis settings...

Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:02 pm

werdigo49 thanked by: lucky9
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Have thanks: 1 time
Post # 296413
Is there a permanent fix for this horizontal shift that I experience with Mepis but with no other distribution?

I use a frame-and-cartridge system with a different Linux OS on each cartridge. Whenever I plug in and boot the Mepis 11 system I have to use the monitor buttons to shift the horizontal position from "50" to "30." After closing Mepis, removing that cartridge, and plugging in and booting another (like the Kubuntu Maverick setup I'm using now) I have to shift the monitor back to "50."

Can anyone explain what's going on here, and how to eliminate the need for this manual adjustment of the monitor?

Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:16 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]