A Linux operating system based on Debian Stable
View unanswered posts | View unsolved topics | View active topics |

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Kernel Check Discussion 
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Have thanks: 3 times
Post # 227097
Stevo I used your version of kernelcheck from your post and compiled 2.6.33 for antiX without any issues. I need to do it again though as it was a test and I didn't disable as much as I could have. Thanks

EDIT: Quick question though, making these kernels does it take away any Mepis magic? I don't know if any tweaks are done to the kernels we get from scratch.

Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:28 pm
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Have thanks: 1897 times
Post # 227100
I had a message from Warren previously that he does use patches on the kernel, so it's not a vanilla build. The patches are available in the linux-patch-debian-2.6.32 package, but should be applied only to the linux-source package for the Mepis 2.6.32 kernel, not the vanilla kernel source, otherwise results may be unpredictable. You could take a look at what patches were applied, though.

You can also use Kernelcheck to apply the Liquorix patchset to the vanilla 2.6.33 original release, if you want a heavily patched kernel. It's a tribute to Warren's 2.6.32 that I can't really see any performance difference between his and the 2.6.33 Liquorix.

voorhees1979 wrote:
Stevo I used your version of kernelcheck from your post and compiled 2.6.33 for antiX without any issues. I need to do it again though as it was a test and I didn't disable as much as I could have. Thanks

EDIT: Quick question though, making these kernels does it take away any Mepis magic? I don't know if any tweaks are done to the kernels we get from scratch.

Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:00 pm
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Have thanks: 1 time
Post # 227123
Come to think of it, I'd rather have the kernelcheck deb depend on the kernel building tools instead of having the program do an apt update and make sure they are installed every time. They would have to be if the package depends on them, and then kernelcheck would not need root access to do that. Users that use the raw setup.py file can take a look at the README file to see what they need to install.

I actually thought about this too - I'll probably use it in the next version. I'm just not sure that if you build the kernel debs in a /home/user directory if the header links point to /home/user/linux/build or if they're correctly installed.

Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:30 pm
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post # 227133
I actually thought about this too - I'll probably use it in the next version. I'm just not sure that if you build the kernel debs in a /home/user directory if the header links point to /home/user/linux/build or if they're correctly installed.

I have always had the build and source symlinks end up pointing to the build directory any time I do it manually or with kernelcheck, in /home or in the /usr/src/linux symlink. I think it's just a problem of having the original build directory still in existence when the headers deb is installed, since others that install the debs don't report that problem. I will experiment with removing /renaming that folder first next time I build a kernel.

Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:27 pm
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Have thanks: 43 times
Post # 286146
Post Re: Kernel Check Discussion
bump

Just tried using the latest kernelcheck version that I can find which is contained in "kernelcheck-fixed-16_april_2010.zip". I've also tried others from bzr and sourceforge. The program is stopping at 10% whilst loading kernel info, this is the error message below;

>>>
Finding patch
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/share/kernelcheck/scripts/main.py", line 499, in get_data
patch_url, patch, stable, stable_url, OldKernelList, OldKernelLinks, prepatch, prepatch_url = self.kernelinfo()
File "/usr/share/kernelcheck/scripts/main.py", line 133, in kernelinfo
patch = KPParser.get_patch_pkg("patch")
File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/KernelCheck/KernelPageParser.py", line 113, in get_patch_pkg
base_kernels.append(k)
UnboundLocalError: local variable 'base_kernels' referenced before assignment
>>>

Tried a few hacks but cannot get past the problem... I'd be very grateful if it could be fixed.

[edit] I've realized through experiment that this is probably not the only problem atm, because of kernel.org changes. ;(

Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:57 am
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post # 286166
Kernel.org was comprised by a hacker, and the kernel moved to github. I don't know if it's back yet. Hmmm...mirrors.kernel.org is back now...I haven't t looked at kernelcheck for a while, so it may not even be developed at all anymore.

Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:20 pm
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post # 286546
Stevo wrote:
Kernel.org was comprised by a hacker, and the kernel moved to github. I don't know if it's back yet. Hmmm...mirrors.kernel.org is back now...I haven't t looked at kernelcheck for a while, so it may not even be developed at all anymore.

Sorry I'd missed this msg before posting into the kernel thread. It'll be a pity if kernelcheck goes dead as it has been very useful to give to others as well as using it myself. I must have done hundreds of kernel builds for friends using it, I can't really trust myself these days to build from scratch sources!

Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:51 am
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post # 286601
There's one post from a month or two ago from the developer saying that the program is not dead, and he's working on an update that will work with the 3.0 kernel, and also not require root permissions to build a kernel.

If I was packaging it, I'd just have it depend on all the kernel tools it needs, so it would not check for and install them every single time it's run, and you would not need root for that step. Apparently the newest kernels have a deb packaging script internally, so the command to build doc, image, header, and firmware files is just "deb-dpkg".

Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:35 pm
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post # 287674
Thanks for the info/update. I just tried another supposedly fixed version but it stalls at 10% of "loading kernel info". I'll just have to be patient as I can't hope to fix things... :)

Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:00 pm
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2