View unanswered posts | View unsolved topics | View active topics |

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
"Pulseaudio does not work" 
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Have thanks: 887 times
Post # 288329
Post Re: "Pulseaudio does not work"
I'm fairly certain that PulseAudio is used a two or three that frequent this forum. Perhaps checking at intervals would be appropriate in this instance. There are plenty here that are not on the forum every day. Some not every week. Perhaps a little more time for this sort of query might work better for you.

You might also use our search function for the forum. And there's always our wiki: http://www.mepis.org/docs/en/index.php? ... PulseAudio
That's for an older version of Mepis but a lot will apply.

Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:12 am
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Have thanks: 36 times
Post # 288340
Synaptics very happily and painlessly installed PulseAudtio, which appears to work correctly in MEPIS 11 32-bit, covers dependencies automatically, and gave me a working sound mixing system (verified by, among other things, reflexively double clicking on a sound file and getting two slightly out-of-sync playbacks as a result; my sound hardware is not duplex, but depends on software mixing for this effect, so this couldn't happen without working PulseAudio). I can also now hear system sounds while music is playing, which is useful.

Unfortunately, I now find that Yahoo! game sound still doesn't coexist with Skype, either under the default OpenJDK JRE or with that ripped out ("Remove Completely") and Sun Java 6 equivalents installed (though the Sun Java at least doesn't require using the "small windows" option to get a working game, so I kept that). The sound issue now appears to be either a problem with both Sun and OpenJDK Java (interpreters or JIT compilers), or a bug in the Yahoo game code that's common to all their multiplayer games (and pointing out to them that OpenJDK is now the reference implementation of the JRE was rather like shouting at a brick wall -- nice echo, but no other effect can be expected). Minor issue, generally, compared to all the other stuff that now works correctly since changing from MEPIS 8.5 64-bit to MEPIS 11 32-bit -- and fairly easily worked around by either booting to Windows for my Skype/game sessions (which keep me in touch with a very good friend on another continent), or possibly by installing Virtual Box and putting a Windows browser and Java install inside.

Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:45 pm
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Have thanks: 139 times
Post # 288341
maybe double check your Skype>Options>Sound Devices and see how it's configured... may be a clue there somewhere. Good to hear of your progress and success. :popcorn: Jerry

Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:54 pm
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Have thanks: 910 times
Post # 288347
Post Re: "Pulseaudio does not work" [Solved]
qtech wrote:
Has anyone noticed the irony that has developed over the last few years? It used to be that, as a humble newbie, you couldn't get good help with Linux because the experienced users were all self-important jerks that couldn't be bothered to throw you even the smallest bone. Asking a question of them was just begging to be scorned, bashed or derided as ignorant and incapable...

In my experience, the true newbies that come seeking help and are willing to pay attention and take direction are treated quite well in most settings.

The ones that gripe me the most (and who seem to get the ire of others as well) are the self proclaimed "power users" that feel the need to tell you how long they've been computing and all the OSs they're proficient with and all the admin'ing they do and on and on and on. They don't get much sympathy from me, or from much of anybody where I hang out, until they knock the chip off their shoulders, quit whining and bitching, and help us help them. That might even involve admitting that in this setting, all their hard won experience and expertise count for nothing -- they're just as raw as anybody else. Some manage to do that, many don't.

Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:09 pm
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Have thanks: 887 times
Post # 288351
I think we've all lost hair secondary to using Linux. 'Course I lost plenty more using Windows. Just another reason I quit using.

Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:58 pm
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Have thanks: 376 times
Post # 288369
for what it's worth, pulseaudio has been a pain in the tuckus for other distros as well... so, it's not a mepis issue, it's a pulseaudio issue and you're just trying to get it to work with mepis.

i had sound issues on some of my systems with mepis 7. tried mepis 8.5, but found it had different quirky behaviors on my different machines, so i waited till mepis 11 came out and installed that - no sound problems since.

issues that i had with firefox 3, flash, and sound are gone.

not to flog a dead horse, but just a side note... it's better to be a bit more humble when asking for help with a free product that people are investing their own sweat equity into... doing otherwise is akin to saying to someone their child is ugly... whether or not it's true is not relevant, it's just bad form.

Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:30 pm
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post # 288370
JBoman wrote:
maybe double check your Skype>Options>Sound Devices and see how it's configured... may be a clue there somewhere. Good to hear of your progress and success. :popcorn: Jerry

With PulseAudio installed, there's only one "sound device" option, both in kmixer and in Skype -- "Internal Audio Analog Stereo" -- the same for both playback and capture; I'm still looking for anything that lets me tell PulseAudio what device to use (though only the ALC888 Analog actually appeared to work when I was running direct to hardware; I've got a 6-stack output panel, but only two wires plugged in; one that goes to my headset microphone, the other to an extension that I connect alternately to either amplified PC speakers or the headphones in my headset). This works well and does in fact allow mixing other sound streams with Skype, except game sounds from Yahoo Games, which is what now has me convinced it's a Yahoo issue with standards compliance (or an issue with the JRE, seemingly in both OpenJDK and Sun/Oracle Java). Yahoo does apparently update their games every now and then (I've seen some changes in the ones I play most over the last few years); we can hope they'll do it again and aren't just holding their breath for HTML5 to replace both Flash and Java.

Update: I found padevchooser, though I don't think that will do any real good with this issue, since PulseAudio appears to be working correctly and the problem is only with Java sound (possibly only from one source).

Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:31 pm
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Have thanks: 139 times
Post # 288371
Silent Observer wrote:
JBoman wrote:

With PulseAudio installed, there's only one "sound device" option, both in kmixer and in Skype -- "Internal Audio Analog Stereo" -- the same for both playback and capture; I'm still looking for anything that lets me tell PulseAudio what device to use (though only the ALC888 Analog actually appeared to work when I was running direct to hardware; I've got a 6-stack output panel, but only two wires plugged in; one that goes to my headset microphone, the other to an extension that I connect alternately to either amplified PC speakers or the headphones in my headset). This works well and does in fact allow mixing other sound streams with Skype, except game sounds from Yahoo Games, which is what now has me convinced it's a Yahoo issue with standards compliance (or an issue with the JRE, seemingly in both OpenJDK and Sun/Oracle Java). Yahoo does apparently update their games every now and then (I've seen some changes in the ones I play most over the last few years); we can hope they'll do it again and aren't just holding their breath for HTML5 to replace both Flash and Java.

Update: I found padevchooser, though I don't think that will do any real good with this issue, since PulseAudio appears to be working correctly and the problem is only with Java sound (possibly only from one source).

See a possible solution here> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=11452718 from a poster called Truckerpunk. The only difference in implementing it is you would use su instead of sudo. :crossfingers: Jerry

Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:59 pm
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post # 288384
That's an interesting little trick -- replacing the binary with a script that uses another application or service to launch the binary when called. I appear to have padsp installed (no error message when I invoke that command in a shell), but while Java (openjdk6-jre, icedtea6-plugin, and depends) worked correctly and still made sounds after that hack, it still went quiet when I so much as opened Skype. I don't think this is a conflict of audio streams (as noted earlier, I can play two music files at once and hear both, indicating PulseAudio is doing what it should), but in verifying this just now I find that while VLC fails to initialize the sound device with Skype running (it works fine after closing Skype), Amarok is still able to play with Skype open. This appears to be because Amarok is playing to Phonon, which is working through PulseAudio, while VLC wants to go do ALSA, OSS, or direct to the hardware -- and based on the error message, Skype is doing something to ALSA:

Code:
Potential ALSA version problem:
VLC failed to initialize your sound output device (if any).
Please update alsa-lib to version 1.0.23-2-g8d80d5f or higher to try to fix this issue.

If I have VLC open before starting Skype, by contrast, VLC will play and Skype won't make any sounds, though there's no error message in that case. This appears to be a clear case of VLC not using PulseAudio -- which implies that if I can wrap VLC (or Java, or even Skype) inside PulseAudio the way the above link did with padsp, I might solve the problem. Hmmm -- is padsp part of PulseAudio? I might just need to wrap Skype, if I can find the core executable.

Edit to add: Yes, padsp is part of PulseAudio specifically built as a wrapper, and wrapping vlc (by wrapping vlc-wrapper; wrapping vlc directly cause it to fail during opening) does allow it to play normally even when started after Skype is open. That, with the fact that the same wrapper on java failed to change things, very strongly suggests that OpenJDK JRE is hard coded to write to the sound hardware (which gets captured by PulseAudio when anything else has a sound stream open) -- at the very least, it's not using ALSA or OSS, which are both captured by padsp.

In other words, I'll have to live with Yahoo game sound not working when Skype is open, at least until OpenJDK7 and the matching IcedTea7 plugin drop. On the bright side, VLC is fixed for this problem now... :)

Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:51 pm

Silent Observer thanked by: JBoman
Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3