Upgraded video card leads to black screen of void

You can ask for help with video cards, tv cards, dvb, monitors, webcams, digital cameras and software related to these devices, here. Tutorials about these devices can be posted here, too.
Atari RedBeard
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Upgraded video card leads to black screen of void

#1 Postby Atari RedBeard » Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:10 pm

Hello, all. Nice to be here. I am enjoying MEPIS after having tried various other distros. I have hit upon a snag, though not a tear-my-hair-out critical one.

I am running a Win XP/ MEPIS 8.5 dual boot system. Celeron 2.5 ghz, 768 megs RAM, 19" Proview LCD... so a friend at work gave to me a video card - NVIDIA GeForce FX - a while back. I thought that I'd try it out this weekend, see what happens...

So I powered down, inserted the card and turned things back on. As I expected, Windows burped, shifted into 800x600 for a while until it found a suitable driver; one reboot later, no problems. Then I tried out Puppy Linux 4.3, it looks like it worked just fine, had no troubles as far as I could tell. Then I tried out the new (?) version of CrunchBang 10 live cd. Again, hardware detected fine, no issues.

I had hopes that MEPIS would behave roughly like Windows and just bark and re-probe the hardware or something. But no go. I get past GRUB by using the "vga=791" trick, I then do the CRTL-ALT-F1 thing so that I can watch menu items go by with "OK" statuses, but just as it gets to the login screen, I get a big screen full of nothingness.

So, I guess my question is: is there a way to force a new X configuration? Alternatively, I can use Puppy Linux to alter one of the login scripts or configuration files if I need to. If absolutely necessary, I can unplug the card and just "revert", but I hope that won't screw anything up worse...

Obviously, I'll provide any other information that would help and any information you all could give will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance! Cheers.

:wq!
Last edited by Atari RedBeard on Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

uncle mark
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Upgraded video card leads to black screen of void

#2 Postby uncle mark » Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:15 pm

Atari RedBeard wrote:So, I guess my question is: is there a way to force a new X configuration?

Boot to the Live CD and use the X-Windows-Assistant to repair the graphics. It is designed for exactly these kinds of situations. (And it's missed in M11.)
Desktop: Custom build Asus/AMD/nVidia -- MX-15 KDE, MEPIS 11
Laptop: Acer Aspire 5250 -- MX-15

Atari RedBeard
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Re: Upgraded video card leads to black screen of void [SOLVE

#3 Postby Atari RedBeard » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:29 am

Wow, thanks, Uncle Mark!

SOLVED...

At least mostly solved. Sure enough, booted the Live CD as root (I used the 'mount as read/write option-not sure if I needed too, though) and ran the Assistant, there is a checkbox area where you choose which partition to apply the changes, and that was practically it.

Well, I'm not sure that I am getting all the benefits of the new hardware, but that can be investigated later. For the time being, I am back in my system! Yay!

Uncle Mark, You Country! (which is like You Rock!, but turned all the way up to 11) ;)

:wq!

lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#4 Postby lucky9 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:13 am

To get all that can be gotten you might try sgfxi. It's a Command Line script that's easy to use. Full instructions are on this page: http://www.mepis.org/docs/en/index.php?title=Sgfxi
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

bowlkook
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#5 Postby bowlkook » Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:16 am

I concur with lucky9. I was messing around with kernels this weekend. I got a black screen but dropped to ctrl+alt+f1, installed smxi and used sgfxi to get me back to full graphical goodness.

lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#6 Postby lucky9 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:19 am

The directions in the wiki are very good. It's also about the easiest way to get comfortable with the non-GUI Linux. The downloading is all Copy&Paste. Not a bad idea to print out the directions if you're a first-timer at the Command Line.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

uncle mark
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#7 Postby uncle mark » Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:57 pm

Atari RedBeard wrote:Wow, thanks, Uncle Mark!

Sometimes I get lucky.
Desktop: Custom build Asus/AMD/nVidia -- MX-15 KDE, MEPIS 11
Laptop: Acer Aspire 5250 -- MX-15

richb
Administrator

#8 Postby richb » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:01 pm

uncle mark wrote:
Atari RedBeard wrote:Wow, thanks, Uncle Mark!

Sometimes I get lucky.

Sometimes? :rofl:
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

Rich

Laptop: Acer V5-572G: Intel i5, 12 GIG mem, Intel graphics, SanDisk SSD, 256GB
Virtualbox: Win 7
Desktop: MX-15- 64, AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, fglrx driver, 16 GIG Mem. Samsung EVO SSD 250 GB

Return to “Video-Related”