View unanswered posts | View unsolved topics | View active topics |

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Help wont boot- vboxdrv: Warning 2.6.31 kernal NMIs 
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Have thanks: 2354 times
Post # 295571
Post Re: Help wont boot- vboxdrv: Warning 2.6.31 kernal NMIs
It might be that the nvidia kernel module from Warren's nvidia-kernel-2.6.36-1-mepis-smp package didn't get completely removed.

I've had that happen before when I installed the legacy nvidia driver with dkms and sgfxi didn't catch it when I tried reinstalling the driver with sgfxi.

I needed to manually remove the nvidia kernel module.

You can do that with the following two commands (run as root):
Code:
rm /lib/modules/2.6.36-1-mepis-smp/nvidia/nvidia.ko
depmod
if using 64bit replace 'mepis' with 'mepis64'

I would reboot after running those two commands instead using startx.

edit: for vbox, I wouldn't expect the `/etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup` command to work if you had already removed the virtualbox-ose packages I mentioned earlier.

edit #2: If you do decide to reinstall, I would grab the 11.0.12 updated iso and reinstall using it. It will have the Debian 6.0.4 updates already installed.

Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:11 pm
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Have thanks: 43 times
Post # 295572
kmathern wrote:
It might be that the nvidia kernel module from Warren's nvidia-kernel-2.6.36-1-mepis-smp package didn't get completely removed.

I've had that happen before when I installed the legacy nvidia driver with dkms and sgfxi didn't catch it when I tried reinstalling the driver with sgfxi.

I needed to manually remove the nvidia kernel module.

You can do that with the following two commands (run as root):
Code:
rm /lib/modules/2.6.36-1-mepis-smp/nvidia/nvidia.ko
depmod
if using 64bit replace 'mepis' with 'mepis64'

I would reboot after running those two commands instead using startx.

edit: for vbox, I wouldn't expect the `/etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup` command to work if you had already removed the virtualbox-ose packages I mentioned earlier.

edit #2: If you do decide to reinstall, I would grab the 11.0.12 updated iso and reinstall using it. It will have the Debian 6.0.4 updates already installed.

That didn't work either. So I tried to reinstal sxfgi again.
I noticed that when stopping K display manger: kdm it said: not running (/var/run/kdm.pid not found)

Could that be the issue?

Thanks for the notice of a new iso. I'll down load it now so I'm ready if I don't get this to work. Too bad its not M11.5.

Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:42 pm
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post # 295579
I'm 63% downloaded on my new iso. Then its a fresh install unless someone has something for me to try before then. I do really appreciate the help. Sorry if I am coming off as impatient. I just have things I need to get done on that machine tomorrow. If I keep the home directory during the install I should maintain all my data on HOME right? Or do I need to transfer it to another drive and do a complete fresh install?

Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:19 pm
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Have thanks: 2354 times
Post # 295583
Fargo wrote:
I'm 63% downloaded on my new iso. Then its a fresh install unless someone has something for me to try before then. I do really appreciate the help. Sorry if I am coming off as impatient. I just have things I need to get done on that machine tomorrow. If I keep the home directory during the install I should maintain all my data on HOME right? Or do I need to transfer it to another drive and do a complete fresh install?

I've never had a problem running the installer and having it save my /home, but if you any concerns about losing something I would make a backup before installing.

Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:52 pm
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post # 295638
I did it again. After a fresh install and updates, like a fool, I had to see if running nvidia-xconfig would break my system again. It did. This time I did things differently though. I realized I didn't have the legacy nvidia drivers installed that I needed so I installed them first. I figured that must have been the problem before. So in stalled the drivers and rebooted. No problem. Then I went into Root and 'thought' I ran 'nvidia-config' and rebooted. No problem, but when I went to the invidia settings it still said the drivers weren't installed and to run 'nvidia-config' as root. So I opened a terminal as SU and ran 'nvida-config'. It mentioned something about not finding some file and then said it made changes to etc/X11/.org.conf. So I closed the terminal and rebooted. It was at this point that it started locking up again. Only this time I never installed vbox so I don't get the vbox warings. Stevo was correct, they are unrelated. I have some kind of a driver/xorg problem. I've tried to change the .org.conf file with a live cd but I don't know what to change. Any other thoughts befor I try to do another fresh install.

Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:37 pm
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Have thanks: 918 times
Post # 295640
Fargo wrote:
Any other thoughts before I try to do another fresh install.

sfgxi

Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:50 pm
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post # 295641
uncle mark wrote:
Fargo wrote:
Any other thoughts before I try to do another fresh install.

sfgxi

I assume you mean the steps laid previously.
Quote:
Run the commands below to install sgfxi:

Code:
cd /usr/local/bin
wget -Nc smxi.org/sgfxi
chmod +x sgfxi

Then run:

Code:
sgfxi

That was my thoughts too. I have to do one house chore then I'll try it. Thanks.

Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:08 pm
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post # 295645
Yeah, its not looking any better tonight. I'll try installing some drivers and things.

Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:35 pm
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post # 295646
reinstalling. This time I'm not touching nvidia. I think this will be the last install on this computer. Its old and has a lot of issues. I can't even install my new iso. For some reason my reader only reads the original M11. Wierd. But like I said. This computer is old. So that might be part of the problem. I think I might have some Mboard issues. Anyway, thanks for all the help.

PS. Does anyone have recomendations as to where to buy a low cost PC? I've built them in the past, but this time I'm thinking of getting prebuilt with my chosen components if I can find someone that sounds reliable.

Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:08 pm
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Have thanks: 918 times
Post # 295648
Fargo wrote:
Does anyone have recomendations as to where to buy a low cost PC? I've built them in the past, but this time I'm thinking of getting prebuilt with my chosen components if I can find someone that sounds reliable.

Personally, I would never buy a prebuilt, but that's just me. I've been building for years, and not only do you get exactly what you want, there's a measure of satisfaction involved.

You could also have a local builder do it to your specs. You'll pay more, but again, you'll get exactly what you want, no more no less.

Hell, spec it out, send me the parts, and I'll throw it together for you. It's not like it's difficult or technical or anything.

Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:47 pm
Reply to topic   [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next