Alsa - set default sample rate?

Problems with your sound card are to be posted here, as well as tutorials to share with others.
whell
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Alsa - set default sample rate?

#1 Postby whell » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:34 pm

I'd like to try Mepis 11 for playback of audio files. I have an Acer Aspire laptop with external USB DAC / "soundcard". All is set up and running, but I've noticed that all the files that I'm playing seem to be down-sampled to 16 bit / 44.1 Khz. I have a number of files recorded in 24/96 that I'd like to play back at 24/96. Is there a way to adjust the defaults in the ALSA sound system to allow for playback of 24/96 files?

qtech
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Alsa - set default sample rate?

#2 Postby qtech » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:40 pm

whell wrote:I'd like to try Mepis 11 for playback of audio files. I have an Acer Aspire laptop with external USB DAC / "soundcard". All is set up and running, but I've noticed that all the files that I'm playing seem to be down-sampled to 16 bit / 44.1 Khz. I have a number of files recorded in 24/96 that I'd like to play back at 24/96. Is there a way to adjust the defaults in the ALSA sound system to allow for playback of 24/96 files?

It depends on your sound card. Does your USB DAC support 24bit playback?

whell
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Alsa - set default sample rate?

#3 Postby whell » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:48 pm

I actually stumbled on the answer almost by accident. The key is installing the gstreamer-alsa package. Then go to the preferences section of media player - VLC for instance - and modify the settings for audio to output direct to ALSA. it will also be necessary to specify the hardware - soundcard or external DAC - to be used in the audio preferences settings.

Return to “Sound”