View unanswered posts | View unsolved topics | View active topics |

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
USB 3 & SATA 3 
MEPIS Novice
MEPIS  Novice

Have thanks: 5 times
Post # 297002
Post USB 3 & SATA 3  [Solved]
I had hell getting Mepis installed or even running on my new system (my sig) until I turned off sast 3 & usb 3.. is this a known problem? :confused: Once I diabled them in bios.. everything is peachy... :clap: dont think I need them, yet....

GeForce GTX 560 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 // AMD FX-6100 Zambezi 3.3GHz 6 Cores // Patriot Viper Xtreme 16GB // GIGABYTE GA-970A-D3 // Internal Blu-ray Drive // Antec TWO HUNDRED V2 // Black CoolMax 700W ATX12V

Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:27 pm
MEPIS is cool!
MEPIS is cool!

Have thanks: 43 times
Post # 297003
Post Re: USB 3 & SATA 3
TLeeNorris wrote:
I had hell getting Mepis installed or even running on my new system (my sig) until I turned off sast 3 & usb 3.. is this a known problem? :confused: Once I diabled them in bios.. everything is peachy... :clap: dont think I need them, yet....

Wow. Thats crazy. I just installed it on my new system without any problems. And guess what... I am using nearly the same motherboard. I have the GA-970A-UD3 with the AMD FX4100. I have 8GB of Corsair memory. In fact, I was very happy because I wanted to play with some live cds and Ubuntu and Mint wouldn't load. But Mepis 11 loaded right up. Now I am contemplating installing the Mepis Roadblock remaster that you can find in the forums.

Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:44 pm
MEPIS Guide
MEPIS Guide

Have thanks: 432 times
Post # 297031
If I was in your shoes, I would check the BIOS version to see if there are some updates and get them installed pronto.

Just did that with my production laptop after nearly 2 years because I intended to do a CPU updrade, then out of curiosity, dropped in the original hard disk with win7 on it and run the WEI tool, the score lifted from 3.5 to 3.8. I had kept a snapshot of the original WEI score to compare with, then after I upgraded the CPU and it lifted again to 4.3.
Nothing stellar in the minor number difference, and 4.3 is not that great either, but if the effect of a bios upgrade results in a real world improvement, then even if I wasn't going to upgrade the CPU, the improvement alone would have been worth it.

Bios updates usually provide a number of fixes, and such a fix could be just the ticket your system needs to remedy this fault.

Mike P

Regd Linux User #472293
(1)Lenovo e520, i7-2640M, 8GB, 750GB Seagate Hybrid, MX-14.1_DVD (my own respin)
(2) Asus M4A88TD-M, AMD Phenom II x4 955 CPU, Radeon HD 4250, 4Gb, 1.5TB, antiX-13-64

Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:38 pm

m_pav thanked by: TLeeNorris
MEPIS Novice
MEPIS  Novice

Post # 297035
Thanks MPAV. but thats one of the first things I did...bios update. It is either Sata 3 or USB 3 related. Once I turned those off in the BIOS everthing was glory with the installation. Now the networking seems screwed.... but thats another post....

GeForce GTX 560 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 // AMD FX-6100 Zambezi 3.3GHz 6 Cores // Patriot Viper Xtreme 16GB // GIGABYTE GA-970A-D3 // Internal Blu-ray Drive // Antec TWO HUNDRED V2 // Black CoolMax 700W ATX12V

Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:11 pm
MEPIS is cool!
MEPIS is cool!

Post # 297040
Sorry I forgot to post back this morning. I was thinking about your system last night and I had the same thoughts as Mike does. Check your BIOS. Particularily with the new FX series processors. There are some BIOS updates that are required just to run them and they are still working some bugs out I think. Looking at Gigabytes website you need at least BIOS F6 for your processor. It looks like the beta bios F8e has some memory compabibility fixes as well.

Also is it possible you have bad media? Did you check the MD5sum on your download? Or it could have been a bad burn. Just some additional thoughts I had at 3:00am. For some reason I couldn't sleep last night. And no, it wasn't your computer issues keeping me up. Let us know if you figure anything out

Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:16 pm

Fargo thanked by: TLeeNorris
MEPIS is cool!
MEPIS is cool!

Post # 297041
I just checked my BIOS and my SATA3 and USB3 appear to be enabled. Not sure why your having issues. Maybe the two boards are more different than I thought.

Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:21 pm

MEPIS Novice
MEPIS  Novice

Post # 297042
Fargo wrote:
Sorry I forgot to post back this morning. I was thinking about your system last night and I had the same thoughts as Mike does. Check your BIOS. Particularily with the new FX series processors. There are some BIOS updates that are required just to run them and they are still working some bugs out I think. Looking at Gigabytes website you need at least BIOS F6 for your processor. It looks like the beta bios F8e has some memory compabibility fixes as well.

Also is it possible you have bad media? Did you check the MD5sum on your download? Or it could have been a bad burn. Just some additional thoughts I had at 3:00am. For some reason I couldn't sleep last night. And no, it wasn't your computer issues keeping me up. Let us know if you figure anything out

Thanks... I upated the bios first thing sfter getting W7 installed.... but you are right.... its v3..... v7 is downloading now//// This has all happened before.... maybe it will fix the networking issue to... another post... reboot time Wish me luck..... I gotta say I like this Gigabyte board, and all I ever used before was MSI but last two sucked so I took a freinds suggestion and went with GB.. so far happy...

Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:25 pm
MEPIS is cool!
MEPIS is cool!

Post # 297044
TLeeNorris wrote:
Fargo wrote:

Thanks... I upated the bios first thing sfter getting W7 installed.... but you are right.... its v3..... v7 is downloading now//// This has all happened before.... maybe it will fix the networking issue to... another post... reboot time Wish me luck..... I gotta say I like this Gigabyte board, and all I ever used before was MSI but last two sucked so I took a freinds suggestion and went with GB.. so far happy...

Wow I'm surprised it ran with f3 since the specs on Gigabytes website say f6 is needed for your processor. I didn't think the board even booted the new processors without the correct BIOS. I have pretty high confidence now that the new BIOS will help you. Good luck.

I saw your other thread too. I hope this works for you.

By the way, Dual BIOS are a nice insurance policy when updated BIOS aren't they. I've used MSI and Gigabyte in the past and have had good luck with both.

Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:34 pm

Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]