Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
copying files between 2 computers 
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Have thanks: 3 times
Post # 297061
Post copying files between 2 computers
I have 2 ThinkCenter computers connected to my wireless router
using ethernet cables and mepis 11 on both.
What is the best way to copy files between them?

jozien

Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:52 pm
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Have thanks: 446 times
Post # 297062
Post Re: copying files between 2 computers
jozien wrote:
I have 2 ThinkCenter computers connected to my wireless router
using ethernet cables and mepis 11 on both.
What is the best way to copy files between them?

jozien

Why not use the already built in "Shared" folder? Your network should be set up for it by default. Put files from computer A into its "Shared" folder, and then use computer B to find and copy them.

Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:24 am

DBeckett thanked by: lucky9
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Have thanks: 465 times
Post # 297063
In Dolphin address bar, where the folder path is displayed, when you click in it, the folder list changes into an editable tree.
Simply clear what's there and type smb:/ and press return (exactly the same as clicking the globe icon in the left Places tree), then wait.

You will soon enough see a list of workgroups, most likely in your case only one called mepisgrp, if you didn't change anything in that box when you initially installed Mepis. Opening this will bring up the machines by name in the workgroup, then you can click on the machine to see its shares. Each step will take some time because you're looking for something outside of your own PC and speed is restricted to that of the network.

Once you have the machine name of the other machine, you can then enter it directly without having to go through 3 wait periods to get there by simply typing the path in the Dolphin address bar.

Example, you have 2 machines, host and guest. You are on guest and wish to retrieve abc from the Shared folder of host.
In Dolphin, you'd type smb://host/Shared and press return, then after 1 wait period, you will be directly in that folder on host and can plainly see the abc file you need, the rest is copy and paste, or drag and drop > copy.

Mike P

Regd Linux User #472293
(1)Lenovo e520, i7-2640M, 8GB, 750GB Seagate Hybrid, MX-14.1_DVD (my own respin)
(2) Asus M4A88TD-M, AMD Phenom II x4 955 CPU, Radeon HD 4250, 4Gb, 1.5TB, antiX-13-64

Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:49 am

m_pav thanked by: lucky9
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Have thanks: 287 times
Post # 297113
You may also want to try using something like Teamviewer. It's free for home use:

http://www.teamviewer.com/en/index.aspx

Once the connection is authenticated via their servers, the transfers are then peer to peer, meaning you should get great throughput on a local network. It also works behind most routers and firewalls if you need access when away from your local network.

Personally, I've had issues with Samba for a while. Some of the Mepis updates I made a while back broke it for me (before I broke it, it was used mostly transferring files in between my primary desktop and my wife's laptop, both running Mepis 11).

I suspect that I answered one of the questions wrong during an update to Mepis (keep the developer's version of a config file versus replacing it with a newer one, etc.). But, in any event, I'll probably need to reinstall Mepis from scratch to fix it without a lot of troubleshooting to figure out what went wrong (and I don't have that pressing of a need for transfers using Samba right this minute). So, Teamviewer is used for file transfers instead.

Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:13 pm
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Post # 297115
No need to reinstall Jim, the smb.conf file is all that changed, and it should be a simple fix.
Often, when a file is replaced during an update/upgrade, the original is renamed. so have a look inside your /etc/samba folder and see if there is a smb.conf and a smb.conf.dpkg that has a last modified date at or around the time you lost the settings. If the latter or a similarly named file exists, it is likely the old working version.

You can examine both files in kwrite, and decide which one to keep, then as root, simply rename the old file, if it is the right one to smb.conf, (you'll have to rename the existing one first) and issue the command
Code:
su -c 'samba restart'

Mike P

Regd Linux User #472293
(1)Lenovo e520, i7-2640M, 8GB, 750GB Seagate Hybrid, MX-14.1_DVD (my own respin)
(2) Asus M4A88TD-M, AMD Phenom II x4 955 CPU, Radeon HD 4250, 4Gb, 1.5TB, antiX-13-64

Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:20 pm

m_pav thanked by: captn
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Have thanks: 24 times
Post # 297116
http://www.dropbox.com/ will also do what you want with online accessability

Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:38 pm
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Post # 297125
While all true and correct, all those external services are overly excessive and the slowest possible method of simply copying a file between two systems on the same private network.

Mike P

Regd Linux User #472293

Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:27 am
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post # 297131
m_pav wrote:
While all true and correct, all those external services are overly excessive and the slowest possible method of simply copying a file between two systems on the same private network.

Mike P

so what do you recommend

Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:08 am
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Post # 297132
Exactly what I wrote in post #3 above, use the LAN you are already running.

Those other external services are for machines on an entirely different network, but if you have any number of machines on a single network, then for petes sake, don't employ superfluous services just to transfer a handful of files.

I have been teaching people for years NOT to email the person beside them a file, but to drop it temporarily into a safe network location where they can both access it without having to reach out to some untrusted network.

Mike P

Regd Linux User #472293

Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:45 am
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post # 297134
m_pav wrote:
Exactly what I wrote in post #3 above, use the LAN you are already running.

Those other external services are for machines on an entirely different network, but if you have any number of machines on a single network, then for petes sake, don't employ superfluous services just to transfer a handful of files.

I have been teaching people for years NOT to email the person beside them a file, but to drop it temporarily into a safe network location where they can both access it without having to reach out to some untrusted network.

Mike P

I just had a go at doing what you described and it wasn't that simple and it wasn't sucessful, I then went alt f2 kdesu systemsettings > sharing > samba > base settings on both boxes and selected the share option, both have a workgroup called mepisgrp, still no luck. I agree with everything you say above about single networks but comparatively, it took me 3 minutes on each machine to set up dropbox and it has the advantage of being available to me externally if needed. The latency between systems with dropbox is about 30 seconds, I can live with that.

Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:02 am
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next