Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
How close is Mepis to Debian stable? 
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Have thanks: 0 time
Post # 297427
 How close is Mepis to Debian stable?
Hi everyone,

I am currently using Linux Mint. I have also used Ubuntu and many other Ubuntu based Linux distros and Fedora. I also use Windows. I have read and heard a lot about Linux; that it is very stable and bug free but after using these distros I have come to the conclusion that Linux currently is not as stable as Windows as well as it has a lot of bugs. I am fed up of Ubuntu and the stuff. Some days ago a friend of mine informed me that most of the distros are testing platforms for base distros or commercial distros like Red Hat, Suse etc. which are very stable and told me to use base distros like Debian or Centos which he says are very stable. I recently read about Mepis and that it is based on Debian stable. I have also read on your website the following:

"In Version 7.0, released in December, 2007, MEPIS Linux switched its base to a combination of MEPIS packaged binaries, based on Debian and Ubuntu source code, combined with a Debian Stable OS core and extra packages from Debian package pools. As the developer explains: “By using the latest Debian and Ubuntu source code for building user applications, we can provide the best latest versions of the applications users want the most. And by building on top of a Debian Stable core, we can provide a release that has the stability and long life that users want.” "

So I wish to know how close is Mepis to Debian stable? As mentioned by you that Mepis switched its based to a combination of Mepis packaged binaries based on Debian and "Ubuntu" source code and that the developer explains that by using the latest Debian and "Ubuntu" source code we can provide the best latest versions of the applications users want the most".

So kindly inform me if Mepis still uses binaries based on "Ubuntu" source code? Even if "Ubuntu" source code is still used, the main thing is stability and if Mepis stable I would like to use it as my only Linux distro and stick to it. Kindly inform. Best regards :happy:

Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:10 pm
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Have thanks: 714 times
Post # 297428
Post Re: How close is Mepis to Debian stable?
Ubuntu is gone since a very long time. It's now Mepis 11 and M 11.5 is coming soon, based on Debian stable.
There are some differences in the boot process, among them not using UUID. The upcoming M 11.5 release will take Mepis another step closer to Debian.
Henry

Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:45 pm
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Have thanks: 918 times
Post # 297429
MEPIS essentially is Debian stable, with a layer of tweaks and tools and enhancements to make it much more user friendly out of the box. Best of both worlds. If you want to work and play without having to fight with your computer constantly, MEPIS is just the ticket. And if the applications are a bit too stale for you, our Community Packaging team has made updated apps available through the Community Repos. Again, best of both worlds.

Welcome to MEPIS.

Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:54 pm
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Have thanks: 77 times
Post # 297433
At the very least, Mepis is a heck of a lot more stable than Mint (YMMV).

Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:45 pm
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Have thanks: 897 times
Post # 297434
The way I look at it, Mepis 11 is debian with some customizations. We use debian Stable repositories as default repositories. Along with the Mepis repositories that is. The community here has opened up a Community Repository that has custom-compiled late versions of popular software. Things like WINE, vlc, ffmpeg, gnucash, plus other requested software that's less well known.
Our founder Warren Woodford does a custom kernel that's known to be stable and tweaks it. The same thing to the version of KDE that he chooses. Custom compiled for users. Using the Stable repositories most of us haven't seen less stability than our debian installations. Just a lot of work saved in tweaking out the OS that we use by preference.

We're expecting a new release this year with updated KDE and kernel.

Bottom line is that Mepis is based on debian Stable and is really as stable as debian is known to be. ubuntu and a lot of others are based on Testing (currently known as Wheezy). See: http://www.debian.org/releases/
for what that means.

Welcome to Mepis. You're going to love it.

Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:50 pm
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Have thanks: 164 times
Post # 297438
I think Mepis is about as close to Debian Stable as you can get without installing Debian Stable itself. I've been running them both here for some years now. The main reasons I like having Mepis around: The live DVD is handy and useful; quick, easy installation; great community.

Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:22 pm
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Have thanks: 0 time
Post # 297440
Thanks everyone for the info. I think I have reached the right destination. SimplyMepis is appealing me and it looks cool. I have also watched it on youtube and it looks wonderful. I will definitely install it within a few days and let you know. :happy:

Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:31 am
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Have thanks: 86 times
Post # 297687
qtech wrote:
At the very least, Mepis is a heck of a lot more stable than Mint (YMMV).

Mepis is great. I've found Mint Debian pointing to Stable repositories and backports enabled to be as solid as Mepis. Definitely two of the best Linux distros in my view. Both seem to me unbreakable.
KBD

Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:58 pm
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Have thanks: 164 times
Post # 297688
KBD wrote:
I've found Mint Debian pointing to Stable repositories and backports enabled to be as solid as Mepis.

Same with SalineOS -- Squeeze repos, backports enabled.

Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:07 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]