View unanswered posts | View unsolved topics | View active topics |

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
I'm In Need of a Null Directory 
Administrator

Have thanks: 1362 times
Post # 298322
Post Re: I'm In Need of a Null Directory
kmathern wrote:
You might create a simple script to remove files in the ~/.thumbnails/large & ~/.thumbnails/normal directories (like the one below) and have it run as a cron job at whatever interval you want (daily, hourly, every 15 minutes, etc).

Code:
#!/bin/bash

rm  ~/.thumbnails/large/*
rm  ~/.thumbnails/normal/*

I don't have that much experience in setting up cron jobs but it doesn't look too difficult. I found one guide here: http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/how-do-i-a ... unix-oses/. Btw, is there a KDE4 program for creating/managing cron jobs?

kde-config-cron

It shows as Task scheduler in System Settings.

Rich

Acer Laptop V5-572G: Intel i5, 12 GIG mem, nVidia GT720M/Intel integrated graphics
Mx-14 Symbiosis
Kubuntu 13.10, KDE 4.11.2

Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:29 am

richb thanked by: kmathern
Administrator

Have thanks: 1362 times
Post # 298323
kmathern wrote:
You might create a simple script to remove files in the ~/.thumbnails/large & ~/.thumbnails/normal directories (like the one below) and have it run as a cron job at whatever interval you want (daily, hourly, every 15 minutes, etc).

Code:
#!/bin/bash

I don't have that much experience in setting up cron jobs but it doesn't look too difficult. I found one guide here: http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/how-do-i-a ... unix-oses/. Btw, is there a KDE4 program for creating/managing cron jobs?

I used the task scheduler to add the two cron jobs you referenced to run at bootup. You can also set it to run daily at any particular time, or on any particular day of the week, month or year. It is quite a useful application.

Rich

Acer Laptop V5-572G: Intel i5, 12 GIG mem, nVidia GT720M/Intel integrated graphics
Mx-14 Symbiosis
Kubuntu 13.10, KDE 4.11.2

Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:45 am
MEPIS Enthusiast
MEPIS Enthusiast

Have thanks: 620 times
Post # 298324
kmathern wrote:

Code:
#!/bin/bash

Actually, I did this prior to experimenting with /dev/null. I used the System Settings > Task Manager to schedule the job. The shell script ran properly when I executed it manually, but when I set it up as a chon job, it failed to clear out ~/.thumbnails/normal.

Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:18 am
MEPIS Enthusiast
MEPIS Enthusiast

Have thanks: 2143 times
Post # 298326
joany wrote:
Actually, I did this prior to experimenting with /dev/null. I used the System Settings > Task Manager to schedule the job. The shell script ran properly when I executed it manually, but when I set it up as a chon job, it failed to clear out ~/.thumbnails/normal.

I don't know about M8.5/KDE 4.3, but with the KDE 4.7.4 Task Scheduler I found I didn't need the script I posted earlier. I just pasted in the command I wanted to have run and created the schedule for it. I changed the command to rm ~/.thumbnails/*/*. The cron job seems to be working okay for me in removing the files in both the ~/.thumbnails/large & ~/.thumbnails/normal directories.

Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:47 am

kmathern thanked by: joany
MEPIS Enthusiast
MEPIS Enthusiast

Post # 298327
kmathern wrote:
joany wrote:

I don't know about M8.5/KDE 4.3, but with the KDE 4.7.4 Task Scheduler I found you don't need the script I posted earlier. You can just paste in the command you want run and create the schedule for running it {I changed the command to rm ~/.thumbnails/*/* }. The cron job seems to be working okay for me in removing the files in both the ~/.thumbnails/large & ~/.thumbnails/normal directories.

Thanks. I'll try your variation of using the wild card in the rm command in place of listing the directory names. It seems that including two different tasks in one shell script running as a cron job doesn't work for some reason.

Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:37 pm
MEPIS Guide
MEPIS Guide

Have thanks: 444 times
Post # 298328
joany wrote:
It seems that including two different tasks in one shell script running as a cron job doesn't work for some reason.

Hmm, I don't know why that would be. I use cron jobs often to run fairly complicated scripts containing multiple commands.

Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:58 pm
MEPIS Enthusiast
MEPIS Enthusiast

Post # 298332
DBeckett wrote:
joany wrote:
It seems that including two different tasks in one shell script running as a cron job doesn't work for some reason.

Hmm, I don't know why that would be. I use cron jobs often to run fairly complicated scripts containing multiple commands.

I don't know either, but when my original shell script ran as a cron job, it would clear ~/.thumbnails/large (1st task) but it failed to clear ~/.thumbnails/normal (2nd task). Strangely enough, when I ran the shell script manually, it would complete both tasks without a problem. :confused:

UPDATE:

I followed kmathern's suggestion of using the task scheduler to run a command directly every 15 minutes:

Code:
rm -fr /home/username/.thumbnails/*/*

This does clear both sub-directories every 15 minutes. :yay: BTW, I think adding the option "-fr" (force, recursive) helps.

So I don't have to mess around with /dev/null after all. I'm marking this thread "Solved" even though I ended up using a different method entirely.

Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:51 pm
MEPIS Guide
MEPIS Guide

Post # 298333
joany wrote:
So I don't have to mess around with /dev/null after all. I'm marking this thread "Solved" even though I ended up using a different method entirely.

Cool. Although it's not as dead-easy as kmathern's solution, another more complicated option would have been to use a ramdisk, assuming you reboot periodically and can spare ~100MB of RAM. I just set one up, linked to .thumbnails, and it works nicely.

Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:04 pm
MEPIS Enthusiast
MEPIS Enthusiast

Have thanks: 847 times
Post # 298344
What kind of increase in speed did you see? With the RAM disk that is.

Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:35 pm
MEPIS Guide
MEPIS Guide

Post # 298348
lucky9 wrote:
What kind of increase in speed did you see? With the RAM disk that is.

Surprisingly, not that much, but I didn't really explore it that much before I quit fooling with it. In a split Dolphin I opened some folders of photos and then watched as it (and the .thumbnails folder)) became populated with thumbnails. I didn't notice any difference really.

Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:15 pm

DBeckett thanked by: lucky9
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next