MEPIS Community Forum

A Linux operating system based on Debian Stable
View unanswered posts | View unsolved topics | View active topics |



Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Whoa there, Trigger! 
Author Message
Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:17 pm
Posts: 10550
Location: Rochester NY
Has thanked: 804 times
Have thanks: 1365 times
Post # 298737
Post Re: Whoa there, Trigger!
reo_sam wrote:
Is it possible that mepis 12 has ubuntu as base ?

This is just a wild speculation, since a fluid base like wheezy (at current stage, testing phase) is not really a good choice. I will keep my fingers crossed over this.

I would argue the point that wheezy is not a good choice. The Debian maintainers are very conservative, and yes it is termed testing, but my experience is that applications are very solid, and if issues occur are corrected very quickly.

_________________
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help
Link to Wiki
Rich

Acer Laptop V5-572G: Intel i5, 12 GIG mem, nVidia GT720M/Intel integrated graphics
Mx-14 Symbiosis
Kubuntu 13.10, KDE 4.11.2


Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:05 am
Profile
MEPIS is cool!
MEPIS is cool!
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:57 am
Posts: 797
Has thanked: 22 times
Have thanks: 115 times
Post # 298738
Post Re: Whoa there, Trigger!
reo_sam wrote:
Is it possible that mepis 12 has ubuntu as base ?

This is just a wild speculation, since a fluid base like wheezy (at current stage, testing phase) is not really a good choice. I will keep my fingers crossed over this.


We tried Ubuntu as a base in the past. There are lots of reasons we abandoned Ubuntu like a cat booking it out of a dog show. Given from what we've witnessed publicly in recent months, such as the treatment of Kubuntu and the Unity Desktop, the development situation with Ubuntu derivatives has actually gotten worse. I expect we'll see some of the better known Ubuntu derivatives scampering back to a Debian(pure) base just to get clear of Canonical.

_________________
Slow, lazy, but still around: Call me if ya need help
http://zerias.blogspot.com
http://www.mepisguides.com
Biting the Bullet: Help
Want to buy Mepis Based Computer? Ask me!
http://bit.ly/fbs47I


Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:11 am
Profile WWW

Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:55 am
Posts: 13
Location: India
Has thanked: 1 time
Have thanks: 2 times
Post # 298739
Post Re: Whoa there, Trigger!
The point was not that debian testing has conservative packages or not. The point was, debian testing does not have security updates, since it is a testing version anyways. And that is a very different update method than debian-stable packages.
For desktop, use of testing is ok (but i would not do it).

Mepis is supposed to be a single good distro to work anywhere (be it desktop or server), hence, it using a debian-testing base will not be a good choice.


Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:14 am
Profile
MEPIS Guide
MEPIS Guide
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:49 pm
Posts: 2656
Location: Doncaster UK
Has thanked: 110 times
Have thanks: 733 times
Post # 298740
Post Re: Whoa there, Trigger!
reo_sam wrote:
The point was not that debian testing has conservative packages or not. The point was, debian testing does not have security updates, since it is a testing version anyways. And that is a very different update method than debian-stable packages.
For desktop, use of testing is ok (but i would not do it).

Mepis is supposed to be a single good distro to work anywhere (be it desktop or server), hence, it using a debian-testing base will not be a good choice.

If debian testing does not have security updates what is this repo.

#deb http://security.debian.org wheezy/updates main contrib non-free
#deb-src http://security.debian.org wheezy/updates main contrib non-free

@Saist, Kubuntu have a new sponsor, so all at Kubuntu are happy campers,
http://www.blue-systems.com/

_________________
*Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic(Windoze)*

Kubuntu KDE 4.11.00 / KDE 4.11.60 / Debian Wheezy KDE 4.10.4 / Plasma Active 3 Tablet


Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:20 am Profile
Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:17 pm
Posts: 10550
Location: Rochester NY
Has thanked: 804 times
Have thanks: 1365 times
Post # 298741
Post Re: Whoa there, Trigger!
The point is whether Wheezy is suitable for Mepis. And therefore the conservative nature of the maintainers is germane. And as Danum pointed out there are security updates.

But the argument is moot as Warren will use what he wants.

_________________
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help
Link to Wiki
Rich

Acer Laptop V5-572G: Intel i5, 12 GIG mem, nVidia GT720M/Intel integrated graphics
Mx-14 Symbiosis
Kubuntu 13.10, KDE 4.11.2


Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:33 am
Profile

Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:55 am
Posts: 13
Location: India
Has thanked: 1 time
Have thanks: 2 times
Post # 298742
Post Re: Whoa there, Trigger!
Debian testing has only "some" security updates. Way less than available for debian stable.

See this link. http://www.debian.org/security/faq#testing

Yes, the point is moot. Since, Warren is supreme. :)


Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:43 am
Profile
MEPIS Enthusiast
MEPIS Enthusiast
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:13 am
Posts: 9621
Location: Geneva NY
Has thanked: 2696 times
Have thanks: 1744 times
Post # 298743
Post Re: Whoa there, Trigger!
Half an answer:
Quote:
Hi Jerry,

Based on the experience of the past few years, I'm trying a modified strategy.

My current plan, subject to change, is to put out a 100% Wheezy
compatible version (12.0) prior to Wheezy final, and follow that in
6-9 months with a WheezyPlus (13.0) version, after Wheezy final.

This way, the people who want to run alternate desktops, and such, can
do so from 12.0 without running afoul of MEPIS package tweaks.

And those who want to be more up to date in the long run, and use KDE
only, will have 13.0. I expect that it will be possible to upgrade
from 12.0 to 13.0, if you stick with KDE. But if you use an alternate
desktop with MEPIS, you simply shouldn't plan on running 13.0.

To emphasize the difference, I may call 12.0 a stable release, and
13.0 an experimental release.

If I have the spare time, the alpha could be ready around May 1.
Interesting, huh? What feedback for Warren do you think we should have about this?

_________________
A Wiki only works when many eyes are on it.

32bit, 3.12-0.bpo.1-686-pae, MX-14, AMD Phenom 9650 Quad-Core, Dell SP2309W with integrated webcam, Nvidia GeForce 6150SE, 4 GB DDR2


Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:19 am Profile
MEPIS is cool!
MEPIS is cool!
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2006 8:09 pm
Posts: 611
Location: Dallas, Texas
Has thanked: 40 times
Have thanks: 58 times
Post # 298744
Post Re: Whoa there, Trigger!
reo_sam wrote:
Debian testing has only "some" security updates. Way less than available for debian stable.

See this link. http://www.debian.org/security/faq#testing

Yes, the point is moot. Since, Warren is supreme. :)

The way I read this is that the packages that have made it to "testing" IE Wheezy at this time have had the security flaws that have appeared in their previous releases fixed. Therefore there is not as many security problems present. If something appears after their inclusion in "Testing" these problems will be addressed by security updates through the proper channels.

#deb http://security.debian.org wheezy/updates main contrib non-free
#deb-src http://security.debian.org wheezy/updates main contrib non-free

The Debian people do not want to compromise anyone system in anyway. Remember they are running the same OS as the rest of us and as they test each release it will put their systems at the same risk because sooner or later you have to allow it to access the outside world (it cannot remain in an isolated environment forever) because when the end user gets it he/she is not going to be running inside a sterile environment.

Steve

_________________
I messed with the dragon and now I am ready for the ketchup!
The only stupid question is the one you already know the answer.

~Krispy Kritter~

Toshiba Satellite A215-S7427(AMD-64)
Windows7/M11(KDE4.6.5)/M11(RoadblockTRK2-32)'buntus13.1/MX14b2/Tanglu1.0


Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:27 am
Profile WWW
MEPIS Enthusiast
MEPIS Enthusiast
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:45 pm
Posts: 5580
Location: Penn's Woods
Has thanked: 772 times
Have thanks: 626 times
Post # 298745
Post Re: Whoa there, Trigger!
Quote:
Hi Jerry,

Based on the experience of the past few years, I'm trying a modified strategy.

My current plan, subject to change, is to put out a 100% Wheezy
compatible version (12.0) prior to Wheezy final, and follow that in
6-9 months with a WheezyPlus (13.0) version, after Wheezy final.

This way, the people who want to run alternate desktops, and such, can
do so from 12.0 without running afoul of MEPIS package tweaks.

And those who want to be more up to date in the long run, and use KDE
only, will have 13.0. I expect that it will be possible to upgrade
from 12.0 to 13.0, if you stick with KDE. But if you use an alternate
desktop with MEPIS, you simply shouldn't plan on running 13.0.

To emphasize the difference, I may call 12.0 a stable release, and
13.0 an experimental release.

If I have the spare time, the alpha could be ready around May 1.


This is consistent with Warren's numbering system, with major X.0 releases denoting changes to the Debian base, and minor X.5 releases denoting KDE/kernel upgrades to major releases. This is the information we've been looking for.

What's interesting is that Warren is contemplating an experimental release. That's uncharacteristically cutting edge for him.

_________________
MX-14; 3.12-0.bpo.1-686-pae kernel using 4GB RAM
2.4GHz AMD Athlon 4600+
NVidia GeForce 6150 LE; 304.121 Display Driver


Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:34 am
Profile
MEPIS Enthusiast
MEPIS Enthusiast
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:13 am
Posts: 9621
Location: Geneva NY
Has thanked: 2696 times
Have thanks: 1744 times
Post # 298749
Post Re: Whoa there, Trigger!
Quote:
That's uncharacteristically cutting edge for him.
Agreed. I suspect he knows where MEPIS is on DistroWatch and is trying to do something about it...

_________________
A Wiki only works when many eyes are on it.

32bit, 3.12-0.bpo.1-686-pae, MX-14, AMD Phenom 9650 Quad-Core, Dell SP2309W with integrated webcam, Nvidia GeForce 6150SE, 4 GB DDR2


Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:56 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

Protected by Anti-Spam ACP Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware for PTF.