View unanswered posts | View unsolved topics | View active topics |

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
MEPIS 11 Community Repo: The Calligra Thread 
MEPIS Enthusiast
MEPIS Enthusiast

Have thanks: 1826 times
Post # 298722
Post MEPIS 11 Community Repo: The Calligra Thread
The replacement for Koffice, Calligra, has had its first stable release and packages are available for the standard M11 KDE 4.5.3 in the main test repository. Packages have been renamed "Calligrasomething", and dummy Koffice packages will ease the upgrade, but can be removed after that.

I'm building KDE 4.7.4 packages right now for the experimental repo, since Krita (not renamed along with Karbon)
needs a KDE version-specific libkdcraw. Other 4.5.3 packages should install and run on 4.7.4 in the meantime.

It may also be possible to build MEPIS 8.5 versions, depending on whether liblcms2 can be backported to Lenny.

Please let us know how the programs are working out...the standard layout of the toolbars are now more suited to wide-screen monitors, so 4:3 monitor users may not be happy.

Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:16 pm

Stevo thanked by: janthree, Jerry3904
MEPIS Rules!
MEPIS Rules!

Have thanks: 30 times
Post # 298725
Post Re: MEPIS 11 Community Repo: The Calligra Thread
I've been following the Calligra issue from the antiX development thread. Checking out the Calligra and KOffice websites, it seems that KOffice is still under development. I'm not clear on how (or whether) Calligra is actually "replacing" KOffice. Any ideas?

Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:29 am
MEPIS is cool!
MEPIS is cool!

Have thanks: 115 times
Post # 298727
Malanrich wrote:
I've been following the Calligra issue from the antiX development thread. Checking out the Calligra and KOffice websites, it seems that KOffice is still under development. I'm not clear on how (or whether) Calligra is actually "replacing" KOffice. Any ideas?

There are several similarities here with another prominent office suite split, specifically the Open Office / Libre Office Split. For historical reference the open-source communities and other backers to Open Office got fed up with Sun/Oracle, forked the code, and rebranded with a new backing organization. Fast forward and Libre-Office is a thriving project... and Open-Office is well... dead.

In a similar manner a single developer within the Koffice development had several well publicized... "encounters" ... with other Koffice developers. Most of these encounters can still be found on the Koffice mailing lists. No, I'm not linking to them.

A couple years ago these ... "encounters"... boiled over and the majority of the Koffice developers basically banded together, forked the code, and rebranded resulting in the Calligra office fork. Similar to the forking of Open-Office to Libre-Office, the open-source communities and major KDE backers gathered around the Calligra Project and declared KOffice to be dead and replaced: http://dot.kde.org/2010/12/06/kde-annou ... igra-suite

Much like Oracle kept pushing Open-Office after the Libre-Office split, the developer who was not included in the fork is still pushing KOffice development.

I hope this answers your question.

Biting the Bullet: Help
Want to buy Mepis Based Computer? Ask me!
http://bit.ly/fbs47I

Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:21 am

Saist thanked by: carlnyc, Malanrich
Profile WWW
MEPIS Enthusiast
MEPIS Enthusiast

Have thanks: 850 times
Post # 298769
Installed to my stock M11 last night and took it for a quick spin. Looked pretty good in the brief time I spent with it.

It sure did fill up my Office menu with entries. The odd thing is, the menu lists them alphabetically by name, but when I went into the menu editor to tidy things up a bit they were listed by task. It was late and I let it be.

I'm thinking I''l just make separate menu folders for LibreOffice and Calligra and move the entries into them.

Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:34 pm
MEPIS Enthusiast
MEPIS Enthusiast

Have thanks: 1743 times
Post # 298773
I found that with LO as well, so deleted all links except to the LO dashboard (/opt/libreoffice3.5/program/soffice) from which everything can be opened.

32bit, 3.12-0.bpo.1-686-pae, MX-14, AMD Phenom 9650 Quad-Core, Dell SP2309W with integrated webcam, Nvidia GeForce 6150SE, 4 GB DDR2

Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:12 pm

Jerry3904 thanked by: lucky9
MEPIS Enthusiast
MEPIS Enthusiast

Have thanks: 850 times
Post # 298783
uncle mark wrote:
It sure did fill up my Office menu with entries. The odd thing is, the menu lists them alphabetically by name, but when I went into the menu editor to tidy things up a bit they were listed by task.

Interesting. I switched the menu to Kicker style, and in there they are listed by task, not by name as they are in the Classic menu style. So it looks like for whatever reason, the menu editor is listing them as the Kicker style menu does, which I suppose is the KDE default. I'm not gonna lose any sleep over it.

Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:34 pm
MEPIS Enthusiast
MEPIS Enthusiast

Post # 305073
Bump: the next stable release, 2.5.0, is in the KDE 4.7.4 experimental repo, as well as a version in the main M11 test community repo. There's improvements noted here: https://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/ ... pport.html

It still has the wide-screen interface; please let us know how it's working!

Last edited by Stevo on Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:38 pm
MEPIS Guide
MEPIS Guide

Have thanks: 122 times
Post # 305078
Is Calligra Author available? It looks interesting.

http://www.calligra.org/news/calligra-announces-author/

The question is half the size of the universe, and the answer takes up the other half.

Green Comet

Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:10 pm

arjaybe thanked by: smilliken
Profile WWW
MEPIS Enthusiast
MEPIS Enthusiast

Post # 305102
Not yet, it's still in planning:

Quote:
The development team behind Calligra Author will work closely with writers to provide them with the tools that they feel are important. Every new feature will be selected by the users. If you feel you are a serious writer and you want to work closely with the developers to create the perfect eBook writer’s tool, then contact anyone in the team.

The first version of Calligra Author will be officially released together with the Calligra Suite version 2.6 in late 2012. At that time it will include full documentation in eBook and Wiki formats. Our documentation team is also our prime test team.

Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:44 pm

Stevo thanked by: arjaybe
MEPIS Enthusiast
MEPIS Enthusiast

Post # 313175
Bump: The latest bugfix release (2.5.5) for the Calligra 2.5 series is now available for KDE 4.7.4 in its experimental repo, plus a version built against the standard M11 KDE 4.5.3 in the main test repo. Sorry, no KDE 4.6.5 version, but it's simple to build your own packages from the mcr110 source packages.

From what I can see from the build-depends of the 2.6 release candidates, it will also be buildable on M11.

Steve (cooking up XBMC 12.0 "Frodo", right now. So far, so good. Warzone 2100 3.1.0, just released, should be in the test repo in a day or so)

Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:59 am Profile
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next