View unanswered posts | View unsolved topics | View active topics |

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
NFS Set-Up 
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Have thanks: 4 times
Post # 298907
Post NFS Set-Up
Hi Guys, I have just migrated to Mepis (11.0) from OpenSuse on my desktop (after issues with video cards), and I am quite pleased with the way the installation went. No being picky about proprietary drivers .. In future I will recommend it to anyone who complains "Linux is hard to install".

However, one or two things installed a bit too simple. In particular it got a DCHP address (192.168.1.68, shown in ifconfig) on my small wired network, but I prefer fixed IP addresses for fixed devices. The new installation can see the network, but my other PCs on the network are expecting this one to act as a NFS fileserver on 192.168.1.4. So now they cannot see it (unless maybe if I tell them the DCHP address of the day).

So i did :-

ifconfig eth0 down
ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.4
ifconfig eth0 up

No error messages, but the IP address was still the DCHP one of 192.168.1.68, even afer a Windows style reboot !

Strangely, the graphical Menu - System Settings - Network connections shows no connections at all, although it invites me to add one.

How do you change to a fixed IP address? Is there a config file I can just edit?

Thanks for any advice.

Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:15 pm
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Have thanks: 872 times
Post # 298909
Post Re: NFS Set-Up
Easiest way would be to assign it in the router.

Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:43 pm

uncle mark thanked by: Nuke
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Have thanks: 376 times
Post # 298910
folks also have a misunderstanding about dhcp... many routers you can specify the lease life of an assigned address. so long as you turn on that machine sometime during that time to live you get the same address back.

Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:47 pm
Administrator

Have thanks: 1410 times
Post # 298911
GoManutd wrote:
folks also have a misunderstanding about dhcp... many routers you can specify the lease life of an assigned address. so long as you turn on that machine sometime during that time to live you get the same address back.

Mine has not changed in at least a year, probably more.

Rich

Acer Laptop V5-572G: Intel i5, 12 GIG mem, nVidia GT720M/Intel integrated graphics
Mx-14 Symbiosis
Kubuntu 13.10, KDE 4.11.2

Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:18 pm
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Have thanks: 1831 times
Post # 298912
BTW: welcome to MEPIS!

32bit, 3.12-0.bpo.1-686-pae, MX-14, AMD Phenom 9650 Quad-Core, Dell SP2309W with integrated webcam, Nvidia GeForce 6150SE, 4 GB DDR2

Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:35 pm
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post # 298949
Uncle Mark wrote :- Easiest way would be to assign it in the router

Er, yes, thanks for that. It would be a work-around - still using DCHP protocol but telling the router what address to issue (from its DCHP range). I did not know the router could do that, but I just checked that mine indeed can.

However I am still puzzled why ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.4 did not work, and why System Settings - Network connections shows no connection.

Since my post I have discovered Wicd (a graphical front end to ifconfig?). In it, I disconnected, set the static IP address, reconnected, and it worked! However, when I re-booted the system reverted to the DCHP set-up.

Any ideas what is going on?

Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:04 pm
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Have thanks: 859 times
Post # 298956
Have you checked the settings in the Mepis Network Assistant?

Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:05 pm

lucky9 thanked by: Nuke
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post # 298969
I had not noticed tha Mepis Network Assistant before. Looks like another way of doing what wicd does, only more comprehensive.

I tried it and it works. However, like doing it the wicd way, it does not survive a reboot - goes back to the DCHP allocated IP address. Even though after the reboot the Network Assistant is still showing it set to static. The PC is definitely on the DCHP address though after the reboot (checked by pinging from another PC).

Seems like there is something powerful in my start-up scripts that over-rides it the static address set by Network Assistant. It is not the router doing it because I have other devices on static IP's and my OpenSuse on this PC keeps the static address.

Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:46 am
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Have thanks: 859 times
Post # 298972
wicd doesn't play well with Network Manager. Is it still installed? If so remove it with configs and reset wicd.

Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:16 am

lucky9 thanked by: Nuke
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post # 298990
Post Problem Solved (I hope)  [Solved]
Lucky9 wrote "wicd doesn't play well with Network Manager. Is it still installed? If so remove it with configs and reset wicd"

Didn't quite follow what you meant by resetting it, but as you say they don't play I uninstalled wicd, as it only seemed to do the same thing as Mepis Network Assistant [MNA].

Then in MNA (first tab) I noticed the "Automatic" and "Manual" radio buttons. Hovering over the latter, it informed me that it was to"Configure interfaces ... with MNA". That seems dumb - I would not be in there if I was not wanting to do just that. See the screenshot. So I opted for this "Manual".

Then on the MNA "Interface" tab I set my static IP addr, clicked "Apply" and after a minute it was working with the static address as I wanted.

Then the acid test - I rebooted, and the static IP set-up survived!

I notice that there is an icon like an ethernet socket on the Mepis Panel. This claims to manage networking interfaces. Before I set things to "Manual" in MNA, it seemed like the first thing this icon does when you touch it is to flip the mode back to DHCP. Now it just moans that my network is "unmanaged".

So have there been THREE rival apps trying to control my interface - MNA, wicd, and whatever is behind this panel icon? Sounds like a case of too many cooks spoiling the broth.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:40 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next