Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
DVD Install Failure 
MEPIS Novice
MEPIS  Novice

Have thanks: 1 time
Post # 299304
Post DVD Install Failure
Hi

For some time I have had the ISO of Mepis 11.0. but until recently have been vary happy with version 8.0. However think the hard drive is starting to go so bought a new PC to load Mepis 11.0. Everything appeared to go great unit it came time to reboot into the OS. KDM (Startpar!!) refused to load as did X11. As it scrolled through there appeared to be at least four failed items.

To say I'm disappointed is an understatement as playing with the Live DVD it looks very nice and much better than Mepis 8.5 which I wasn't keen on that's why I stayed with 8.0. I think it was the early version of KDE 4 I was upset about..

I am going to try an install Mepis 11.0 on a partition of my old PC (this one!!) to see if it will work this time.

grabro

Tue May 01, 2012 9:45 am
MEPIS Enthusiast
MEPIS Enthusiast

Have thanks: 756 times
Post # 299306
Post Re: DVD Install Failure
grabro wrote:
To say I'm disappointed is an understatement as playing with the Live DVD it looks very nice...

Just reinstall. It's what, ten minutes? All it takes is for one little bit to go sideways and cause a hinky install. Doesn't happen often, but it does happen, no matter what distro (or Windows) you're installing.

If the problem repeats itself, then you've got a bad download or bad burn. Check MD5s and/or redownload/reburn.

Kingston 2G x 2 1333 DDR3
WD Caviar 500GB x 2 SATA hdd

Tue May 01, 2012 10:26 am
MEPIS Enthusiast
MEPIS Enthusiast

Have thanks: 1963 times
Post # 299307
It seems strange to me that you were able to boot/run from the LiveDVD and get M11 installed but then the harddrive install fails to boot.

Since you have another thread about fixing the root login (I'm not sure which Mepis version was involved) I guess I'll ask this. When you ran from the LiveDVD to install Mepis 11 did you login at the KDM screen and run the KDE4 session as 'demo' or 'root' user?

There have been problems noted with the grub install when the M11 installer was run while logged in as 'root' user. Running the LiveDVD's KDE4 session while logged in as 'demo' user and running the M11 installer there, grub installed correctly.

Tue May 01, 2012 10:31 am

kmathern thanked by: lucky9
MEPIS Enthusiast
MEPIS Enthusiast

Have thanks: 756 times
Post # 299308
kmathern wrote:
When you ran from the LiveDVD to install Mepis 11 did you login at the KDM screen and run the KDE4 session as 'demo' or 'root' user?

There have been problems noted with the grub install when the M11 installer was run while logged in as 'root' user. Running the LiveDVD's KDE4 session while logged in as 'demo' user and running the M11 installer there, grub installed correctly.

Good catch. That may explain it.

To the OP, if applicable: To install, log into the live session as 'demo' with password 'demo'. Click the installer, then feed it the password 'root' when prompted. (If you previously had logged in as root and installed from there, the results have been problematic.)

Kingston 2G x 2 1333 DDR3
WD Caviar 500GB x 2 SATA hdd

Tue May 01, 2012 12:03 pm
MEPIS Novice
MEPIS  Novice

Have thanks: 1 time
Post # 299841
Uncle Mark & Kmatherm

Thanks for the advice. In fact if you log in as root on the LiveDVD there is no install icon you have to login a demo first and then become root to install.
Anyway I will try again with a new install.

Incidentally Mepis 11.0 loaded great on my old PC and I am pleased with it. My old PC uses Nvidia 7600 Geforce graphic card but the new one has onboard nvdia graphics. It's just a work horse PC e.g. office work, accounts, some photo collection so it should be OK. I don't play games except the KDE games.

Thanks again

grabro

Tue May 15, 2012 9:08 am
MEPIS Enthusiast
MEPIS Enthusiast

Have thanks: 753 times
Post # 299899
To get a boot originally may take a cheatcode or two. See: http://www.mepis.org/docs/en/index.php?title=Cheatcodes
for examples and syntax needed. You might try the xdrvr=vesa to get a basic display for installation purposes. Note the confx part of the needed command.

sgfxi is a CL video driver installer that makes it easy to install proprietary drivers once you're installed and connected to the Internet.
See: http://www.mepis.org/docs/en/index.php? ... gfxi#sgfxi

Wed May 16, 2012 12:13 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]