View unanswered posts | View unsolved topics | View active topics |

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Ubuntu 12.04 
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Have thanks: 158 times
Post # 299440
Post Ubuntu 12.04
I downloaded the Ubuntu 12.04 .iso today and booted into a live session from a flash drive. I used UNetbootin in Mepis 11 to put it on the flash drive.

I'm comfortable with Unity after having 11.04 installed here for months, and I'm pleased with the improvements to it in 12.04. I'm not seeing any hardware-related problems, but I haven't tried a hard drive installation yet.

Kinda makes me laugh that I keep trying to hit a hot corner at the upper left, as if I'm in GNOME Shell.

Putting it on a flash drive with UNetbootin seemed a little weird because it seemed to get stuck while extracting files, at about 4%. But the flash drive light continued to flash, so I just chilled and waited it out, and after maybe 10 minutes things started moving again and it finished up. I really like UNetbootin. I was actually gonna create a live CD, but then I realized I'd run out of blank CDs, and I was too lazy to go out and get some more. (By the way, what happens if you burn a CD .iso onto a DVD? Would that even work?) But live sessions always boot (and run) a lot better from a flash drive, so maybe it's time to kick the live CD/DVD habit.

Anyway, the live session looks nice; hopefully the installation goes well, whenever I get around to it.

Oh, yeah, and I am NOT "switching" from Mepis; I just like to multi-boot different distros.

Thu May 03, 2012 11:19 pm
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Have thanks: 891 times
Post # 299445
Post Re: Ubuntu 12.04
malspa wrote:
(By the way, what happens if you burn a CD .iso onto a DVD? Would that even work?)

There is no difference between a "CD.iso" and a "DVD.iso" when it comes to Linux install images other than the size. An .iso larger than ~700MB won' fit on a CD, so requires is be burned to a DVD. ISO file names that use "CD" or "DVD" are really just telling you if they are under or over that ~700MB break.

Thu May 03, 2012 11:58 pm

uncle mark thanked by: malspa
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Have thanks: 887 times
Post # 299454
Which is a long way of saying a CD image will boot from a DVD. (I don't even buy CDs anymore)

Fri May 04, 2012 12:43 am
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Have thanks: 158 times
Post # 299456
I'm thinking that I might not be buying any more blank CDs, either.

Fri May 04, 2012 1:07 am
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Have thanks: 73 times
Post # 299461
That is what I use, DVD-RW now, however I do have a few customers that still only have CD or CD-RW players and the BIOS will not boot to thumb drives.

Fri May 04, 2012 1:19 am
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Have thanks: 609 times
Post # 299471
I'm not using CDs or DVDs for testing distros anymore, too much waste and time wasted, I always put them on flashdrive, my preferred method is to use isohybrid (in case they use isolinux for booting) and just dump them to the USB flashdrive.

Fri May 04, 2012 9:00 am
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Have thanks: 238 times
Post # 299511
I'm glad Ubuntu 12.04 works; I've spent the evening trying to install both Kubuntu 12.04, and Xubuntu 12.04, and failed dismally.

The hardware I'm using to test with has been used many times to test distros, and it's nothing exotic. I'm very familiar with installing and testing distros; I often try two or three a week, and have been doing so for a number of years.

Both downloads and disks have correct SHA256 values. Kubuntu appears to install, but reboots to a black screen with no way of regaining control. Xubuntu crashes out of its installer early on in the process.

Not impressed! Mepis 12 will just work, I'm sure.

Chris

Fri May 04, 2012 4:57 pm
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Have thanks: 285 times
Post # 299513
I installed Kubuntu 12.04 LTS in a Virtual Machine using VirtualBox with a Mepis 11 host, and it seems to work great that way.

I upgraded everything with upgrades available, then downloaded the "Elegance" theme and installed it (same theme used by Mepis 11 by default), since i like the way it looks better than most others, and I like it's Analog Clock better, too. I then changed the folder view settings to display my desktop folder by default (the way Mepis 11 is configured), added some frequently used programs and put icons for them in the panel and desktop.

I didn't see the Lancelot menu launcher with a quick search for available Plasma Widgets for it. But, I found another menu launcher that looks almost identical to it that seems to work fine. I don't like the KDE Kickoff style launcher, period (more steps to launch programs compared to other menu launchers, so I consider it to be very poorly designed, and a terrible launcher to showcase Linux distros using KDE); and the KDE Classic Launcher doesn't have as many features.

So, I tend to install Lancelot instead when available (but, the similar launcher I found available in Kubuntu 12.04 LTS works OK, too).

So far, so good with my limited testing.

I'll probably go ahead and install Kubututu 12.04 LTS on some hard drives soon, too (partitions on my primary desktop, netbooks, etc.).

Ubuntu using Unity? No thanks. I cannot get used to it (and I've tried).

Fri May 04, 2012 5:40 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]