MEPIS Community Forum

A Linux operating system based on Debian Stable
View unanswered posts | View unsolved topics | View active topics |



Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Unstable system 
Author Message
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:02 am
Posts: 805
Location: Beirut - Lebanon
Has thanked: 98 times
Have thanks: 61 times
Post # 299519
Post Unstable system
My system freezes whenever I try to run a parallel session or when I try to log out of X with ctrl + allt + F1 on my Toshiba Satellite L650 2M ram with ATI RAdeon Mobility HD 4500 and Mepis 32bit.

Any thought would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Michel


Sat May 05, 2012 3:24 am
Profile WWW
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2006 2:27 pm
Posts: 227
Location: dayton oh
Has thanked: 0 time
Have thanks: 2 times
Post # 299548
Post Re: Unstable system
Are u able to reboot the system with Magic Sys Request?
http://www.brunolinux.com/01-First_Thin ... hants.html

Or Ctrl-Alt-Bksp (try that before you try Raising Skinny Elephants)?

Is there anything in the logs to help you determine the problem?

Is it a true kernel panic? (system is still frozen after trying both of the above and Num Lock and Caps Look lights are flashing)?

Even if it is a true kernel panic (very unlikely) there may be something in the log files to diagnose the problem. You give us no diagnostic info, no one will be able to help you.

You may want to try changing xorg.conf or using a different kernel.

Mike


Sat May 05, 2012 7:04 pm

mdmarmer thanked by: lucky9
Profile WWW
Forum Guide
Forum Guide
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:05 pm
Posts: 2826
Location: Pinellas Park, FL
Has thanked: 106 times
Have thanks: 1792 times
Post # 299551
Post Re: Unstable system
You might try using the boot cheatcode radeon.modeset=0
Some ati chipsets have issues with the version of radeon driver that ships with MEPIS 11. If the cheatcode works but causes other issues (such as an incorrect resolution) you may need to upgrade your kernel & xserver.

_________________
XFX Nforce 750 (built in GeForce 8300), Athlon X2 5000
Lenovo G550 , Intel T4400 , Intel Mobile 4 graphics


Sat May 05, 2012 8:52 pm

timkb4cq thanked by: lucky9
Profile
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:02 am
Posts: 805
Location: Beirut - Lebanon
Has thanked: 98 times
Have thanks: 61 times
Post # 299561
Post Re: Unstable system
mdmarmer wrote:
Are u able to reboot the system with Magic Sys Request?
http://www.brunolinux.com/01-First_Thin ... hants.html

Or Ctrl-Alt-Bksp (try that before you try Raising Skinny Elephants)?

Is there anything in the logs to help you determine the problem?

Is it a true kernel panic? (system is still frozen after trying both of the above and Num Lock and Caps Look lights are flashing)?

Even if it is a true kernel panic (very unlikely) there may be something in the log files to diagnose the problem. You give us no diagnostic info, no one will be able to help you.

You may want to try changing xorg.conf or using a different kernel.

Mike


Thanks,

I tried ctrl + alt + esc and alt + prtrsc + K but not ctrl + alt + backspace or the skinny elephants protocol. But my issue is not how to get out of the freeze but rather how to avoid freezing in the first place.

Michel


Sun May 06, 2012 6:27 am
Profile WWW
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:02 am
Posts: 805
Location: Beirut - Lebanon
Has thanked: 98 times
Have thanks: 61 times
Post # 299562
Post Re: Unstable system
timkb4cq wrote:
You might try using the boot cheatcode radeon.modeset=0
Some ati chipsets have issues with the version of radeon driver that ships with MEPIS 11. If the cheatcode works but causes other issues (such as an incorrect resolution) you may need to upgrade your kernel & xserver.


I already have that boot line cheat code and everything was running fine. It's either an upgrade or the fact that I installed virtual box that caused the problem.

Is it better to upgrade kernel and xserver (don't know how to do that!) or just roll back and use the non proprietary driver (I was trying to do that by loging out of X to run sgfxi -! -32 but the system keeps freezing!) Or just hold on until Mepis 12 comes along and I re-install the OS?

Thanks,

Michel


Sun May 06, 2012 6:40 am
Profile WWW
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:02 am
Posts: 805
Location: Beirut - Lebanon
Has thanked: 98 times
Have thanks: 61 times
Post # 301656
Post Re: Unstable system  [Solved]
I managed to boot in command mode by adding "3" at the end of the command line in Grub. ran Sgfxi and now my system is stable. It was all a video issue.

I hope Mepis 12 will help us deal with all the Nvidea, Ati and Intel video driver problems.

Michel


Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:36 am
Profile WWW
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:23 am
Posts: 549
Has thanked: 80 times
Have thanks: 43 times
Post # 301661
Post Re: Unstable system
michelmassoud wrote:
I managed to boot in command mode by adding "3" at the end of the command line in Grub. ran Sgfxi and now my system is stable. It was all a video issue.

I hope Mepis 12 will help us deal with all the Nvidea, Ati and Intel video driver problems.

Michel
Add a "me too" as it would be a great relief not to worry about xorg updates messing things up, video-wise.


Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:14 am
Profile
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:42 pm
Posts: 4448
Has thanked: 125 times
Have thanks: 913 times
Post # 301689
Post Re: Unstable system
Zevon wrote:
Add a "me too" as it would be a great relief not to worry about xorg updates messing things up, video-wise.


That's what pinning is for.

_________________
Desktop: Custom build Asus/AMD/nVidia -- MEPIS 11
Netbook: Fujitsu Lifebook Pentium M -- MX-14
Laptop: Acer Aspire 5250 AMD Dual -- SolydK 64


Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:49 pm
Profile
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:23 am
Posts: 549
Has thanked: 80 times
Have thanks: 43 times
Post # 301718
Post Re: Unstable system
uncle mark wrote:
Zevon wrote:
Add a "me too" as it would be a great relief not to worry about xorg updates messing things up, video-wise.


That's what pinning is for.
The key word for me was, updates. :)


Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:14 am
Profile
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:45 pm
Posts: 5714
Location: Penn's Woods
Has thanked: 826 times
Have thanks: 671 times
Post # 301734
Post Re: Unstable system
uncle mark wrote:
That's what pinning is for.

And that's what backing up /etc/X11/xorg.conf is for. :wink:

A side note: If your system is working properly, installing a new video driver is more likely to cause harm than good ... just based on my experience.

_________________
MX-14; 3.12-0.bpo.1-686-pae kernel using 4GB RAM
2.4GHz AMD Athlon 4600+
NVidia GeForce 6150 LE; 304.121 Display Driver
You didn't slow down because you're old; you're old because you slowed down.


Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:09 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

Protected by Anti-Spam ACP Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware for PTF.