debian live

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board. Just don't post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MEPIS bashing. You can email the developer of MEPIS if you just want to say you dislike or hate MEPIS.
malspa
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

debian live

#1 Postby malspa » Tue May 15, 2012 10:48 am

Finally got around to checking out the Debian Live project. Yes, you can now install Debian from a live session! (I know, I'm a bit late on this, but...)

I took a look at Debian 6.0.4 GNOME, which I put on a flash drive using UNetbootin in Mepis 11. The live session looked fine, so I downloaded the Xfce version, again put it on a flash drive, fiddled around with the live session on my notebook (which is really my "spare" computer), then clicked on the "Debian Installer" icon. Things went nicely.

By the way, I have a few other distros running on my notebook. I set up this Squeeze Xfce installation to boot the others; this is my first time using grub2 to boot other distros in a multi-boot set-up (still using grub-legacy from Mepis 11 on my main pc). Okay, it was as easy as some folks here have said it would be.

Anyway, I figure that most people here aren't all that interested in going to the extra trouble of installing Debian when they can just install Mepis (or even something like SolusOS, recently released), but Debian Live looks pretty good, so I thought I'd mention it.

Adrian
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: debian live

#2 Postby Adrian » Tue May 15, 2012 12:18 pm

Thanks, I knew about the Live project but last time I checked it sucked a lot compared to MEPIS, I will give the KDE image a spin (well, I'll put it on a USB, so it won't spin too much).

JBoman
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#3 Postby JBoman » Tue May 15, 2012 12:59 pm

Debian Live is also what is being used for the base for the recently renamed Foxy Roxy project which was previously named HotRoxPussy which is a puppy linux project in development... It is Puppy Linux that is Debian based and uses apt-get for seamless package management for both Debian packages and Puppy Pet packages. At present I am running the Slackware version of Puppy called Slacko and learning how to use the compiling program Puppy uses called Woof2. It is my preference over Mepis for the time being as it is moving forward in leaps and bounds. Also have Pussy (Foxy Roxy) on another partition but it is somewhat crude to date... however apt-get works in it already and thats exciting to me. If I understand correctly Puppy Lupu is also Debian based but uses only the Puppy package manager. :popcorn:
http://patentabsurdity.com/
AMD 64x2 2.6GHz 4GB ram MX-15 regular updates
"beware a frequent flirt with potential disaster"

Jerry3904
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#4 Postby Jerry3904 » Tue May 15, 2012 1:05 pm

It is my preference over Mepis for the time being as it is moving forward in leaps and bounds.
Glad you have a distro that makes you happy--given your preference for leaps and bounds, Mepis will never satisfy you.
Production: 4.2.0-0.bpo.1-amd64, MX-15 RC1, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 8 GB, Kingston SSD 120 GB and WesternDigital 1TB
Testing: AAO 722: 3.16-0-4-686-pae. MX-15, AMD C-60 APU, 4 GB

JBoman
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#5 Postby JBoman » Tue May 15, 2012 1:24 pm

Jerry3904 wrote:
It is my preference over Mepis for the time being as it is moving forward in leaps and bounds.
Glad you have a distro that makes you happy--given your preference for leaps and bounds, Mepis will never satisfy you.

Thats a pretty bold statement considering Mepis has satisfied me since 2004 or 05 but continued unresolved glitches like wireless has slowly built in frustration... an example is this toshiba tecra laptop that takes an act of congress to get working in Mepis just works automatically in Puppy, another is the super speed I get in Puppy, another is the super fast bootup, and like you mentioned about leaps and bounds it easily installs and runs the latest Kde, Qt, Linux kernels, etc. and it also has 1 main developer and a community of independents. I'm not trying to knock my all time favorite Mepis but I am saying Mepis is falling behind the times and not because the talent is missing to better it but because the developer refuses to relinquish enough control for it to happen. Sorry if my perceptions are offensive to anyone or everyone but I've been here long enough to say what I feel. :cool:

malspa
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#6 Postby malspa » Tue May 15, 2012 1:30 pm

That's interesting. A friend of mine told me today, "Right now I can't run Mepis because my hardware is too new for it."

anticapitalista
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#7 Postby anticapitalista » Tue May 15, 2012 1:41 pm

JBoman,

Have you given the latest test releases of antiX a try? Puppy-like in running frugal/persistent live and on my box, actually boots faster and of course, since it is Debian-based, the repos are much better than Puppy's.
anticapitalista
Reg. linux user #395339.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX-15 "Killah P!" - lean and mean.
http://antix.mepis.org

uncle mark
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#8 Postby uncle mark » Tue May 15, 2012 1:46 pm

JBoman wrote:Debian Live is also what is being used for the base for the recently renamed Foxy Roxy project which was previously named HotRoxPussy which is a puppy linux project in development... It is Puppy Linux that is Debian based and uses apt-get for seamless package management for both Debian packages and Puppy Pet packages. At present I am running the Slackware version of Puppy called Slacko and learning how to use the compiling program Puppy uses called Woof2. It is my preference over Mepis for the time being as it is moving forward in leaps and bounds. Also have Pussy (Foxy Roxy) on another partition but it is somewhat crude to date... however apt-get works in it already and thats exciting to me. If I understand correctly Puppy Lupu is also Debian based but uses only the Puppy package manager. :popcorn:

I'd be willing to spend more quality time with Puppy and its derivatives if it wasn't so juvenile. All the Pup-this and Woof-that and now you're talking HotRoxPussy and Foxy Roxy??? Gimme a break. What is this, Romper Room? Captain Kangaroo?

Technically it's an amazing project, but I just can't get past the kiddie stuff. Call me shallow.
Desktop: Custom build Asus/AMD/nVidia -- MX-15 KDE, MEPIS 11
Laptop: Acer Aspire 5250 -- MX-15

malspa
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#9 Postby malspa » Tue May 15, 2012 1:47 pm

Well, uncle mark, I guess it's supposed to be all in fun... :happy:

JBoman
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#10 Postby JBoman » Tue May 15, 2012 1:47 pm

anticapitalista wrote:JBoman,

Have you given the latest test releases of antiX a try? Puppy-like in running frugal/persistent live and on my box, actually boots faster and of course, since it is Debian-based, the repos are much better than Puppy's.

No I haven't Anti but glad you bring it to my attention as I certainly will give it a try. I noticed you listed on the forum roster and wondered if you were utilizing some of the concepts into a new release. Thanks for the heads up!. Jerry

Return to “General”