View unanswered posts | View unsolved topics | View active topics |

Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
debian live 
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Have thanks: 160 times
Post # 299850
Post debian live
Finally got around to checking out the Debian Live project. Yes, you can now install Debian from a live session! (I know, I'm a bit late on this, but...)

I took a look at Debian 6.0.4 GNOME, which I put on a flash drive using UNetbootin in Mepis 11. The live session looked fine, so I downloaded the Xfce version, again put it on a flash drive, fiddled around with the live session on my notebook (which is really my "spare" computer), then clicked on the "Debian Installer" icon. Things went nicely.

By the way, I have a few other distros running on my notebook. I set up this Squeeze Xfce installation to boot the others; this is my first time using grub2 to boot other distros in a multi-boot set-up (still using grub-legacy from Mepis 11 on my main pc). Okay, it was as easy as some folks here have said it would be.

Anyway, I figure that most people here aren't all that interested in going to the extra trouble of installing Debian when they can just install Mepis (or even something like SolusOS, recently released), but Debian Live looks pretty good, so I thought I'd mention it.

Tue May 15, 2012 10:48 am

malspa thanked by: saintless
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Have thanks: 657 times
Post # 299856
Post Re: debian live
Thanks, I knew about the Live project but last time I checked it sucked a lot compared to MEPIS, I will give the KDE image a spin (well, I'll put it on a USB, so it won't spin too much).

Tue May 15, 2012 12:18 pm
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Have thanks: 139 times
Post # 299857
Debian Live is also what is being used for the base for the recently renamed Foxy Roxy project which was previously named HotRoxPussy which is a puppy linux project in development... It is Puppy Linux that is Debian based and uses apt-get for seamless package management for both Debian packages and Puppy Pet packages. At present I am running the Slackware version of Puppy called Slacko and learning how to use the compiling program Puppy uses called Woof2. It is my preference over Mepis for the time being as it is moving forward in leaps and bounds. Also have Pussy (Foxy Roxy) on another partition but it is somewhat crude to date... however apt-get works in it already and thats exciting to me. If I understand correctly Puppy Lupu is also Debian based but uses only the Puppy package manager. :popcorn:

Tue May 15, 2012 12:59 pm
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Have thanks: 1914 times
Post # 299858
Quote:
It is my preference over Mepis for the time being as it is moving forward in leaps and bounds.
Glad you have a distro that makes you happy--given your preference for leaps and bounds, Mepis will never satisfy you.

Tue May 15, 2012 1:05 pm
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Post # 299859
Jerry3904 wrote:
Quote:
It is my preference over Mepis for the time being as it is moving forward in leaps and bounds.
Glad you have a distro that makes you happy--given your preference for leaps and bounds, Mepis will never satisfy you.

Thats a pretty bold statement considering Mepis has satisfied me since 2004 or 05 but continued unresolved glitches like wireless has slowly built in frustration... an example is this toshiba tecra laptop that takes an act of congress to get working in Mepis just works automatically in Puppy, another is the super speed I get in Puppy, another is the super fast bootup, and like you mentioned about leaps and bounds it easily installs and runs the latest Kde, Qt, Linux kernels, etc. and it also has 1 main developer and a community of independents. I'm not trying to knock my all time favorite Mepis but I am saying Mepis is falling behind the times and not because the talent is missing to better it but because the developer refuses to relinquish enough control for it to happen. Sorry if my perceptions are offensive to anyone or everyone but I've been here long enough to say what I feel. :cool:

Tue May 15, 2012 1:24 pm
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Post # 299861
That's interesting. A friend of mine told me today, "Right now I can't run Mepis because my hardware is too new for it."

Tue May 15, 2012 1:30 pm
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Have thanks: 825 times
Post # 299862
JBoman,

Have you given the latest test releases of antiX a try? Puppy-like in running frugal/persistent live and on my box, actually boots faster and of course, since it is Debian-based, the repos are much better than Puppy's.

Reg. linux user #395339.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX "Luddite" - lean and mean.
http://antix.mepis.org

Tue May 15, 2012 1:41 pm
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Have thanks: 913 times
Post # 299863
JBoman wrote:
Debian Live is also what is being used for the base for the recently renamed Foxy Roxy project which was previously named HotRoxPussy which is a puppy linux project in development... It is Puppy Linux that is Debian based and uses apt-get for seamless package management for both Debian packages and Puppy Pet packages. At present I am running the Slackware version of Puppy called Slacko and learning how to use the compiling program Puppy uses called Woof2. It is my preference over Mepis for the time being as it is moving forward in leaps and bounds. Also have Pussy (Foxy Roxy) on another partition but it is somewhat crude to date... however apt-get works in it already and thats exciting to me. If I understand correctly Puppy Lupu is also Debian based but uses only the Puppy package manager. :popcorn:

I'd be willing to spend more quality time with Puppy and its derivatives if it wasn't so juvenile. All the Pup-this and Woof-that and now you're talking HotRoxPussy and Foxy Roxy??? Gimme a break. What is this, Romper Room? Captain Kangaroo?

Technically it's an amazing project, but I just can't get past the kiddie stuff. Call me shallow.

Tue May 15, 2012 1:46 pm
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Post # 299864
Well, uncle mark, I guess it's supposed to be all in fun... :happy:

Tue May 15, 2012 1:47 pm
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Post # 299865
anticapitalista wrote:
JBoman,

Have you given the latest test releases of antiX a try? Puppy-like in running frugal/persistent live and on my box, actually boots faster and of course, since it is Debian-based, the repos are much better than Puppy's.

No I haven't Anti but glad you bring it to my attention as I certainly will give it a try. I noticed you listed on the forum roster and wondered if you were utilizing some of the concepts into a new release. Thanks for the heads up!. Jerry

Tue May 15, 2012 1:47 pm
Reply to topic   [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next