debian live

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board. Just don't post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MEPIS bashing. You can email the developer of MEPIS if you just want to say you dislike or hate MEPIS.
malspa
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Re: debian live

#31 Postby malspa » Thu May 17, 2012 12:03 am

Adrian wrote:I almost never use GUI to install software, I prefer aptitude, but for newbies it would be a good thing to have at least one GUI way to install software (by default).

True.

Well, when you look at the installation procedure, even from the live session, it doesn't look like they're really reaching out to newbies much. Nowhere near as simple as installing something like Mepis.

malspa
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#32 Postby malspa » Thu May 17, 2012 12:28 am

Adrian wrote:I think it's better and safer to upgrade a browser to a new version than to use an old version that has bugs that are already fixed in the new version

Yep.

Adrian wrote:Iceweasel 3.5 instead of Firefox 12

Yeah, I logged into Squeeze tonight and there's an Iceweasel upgrade -- from 3.5.16-14 to 3.5.16-15.

:snail:

Something I really like about Ubuntu, even with 10.04 LTS, the Chromium upgrades kept coming, which was great for me.

In Debian Stable as well as in Mepis, for a long time now I've just gone outside of the repos for my web browser of choice. Oh, well.

Adrian
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#33 Postby Adrian » Thu May 17, 2012 12:31 am

I'm maybe smug about updates because I'm testing Arch right now... but really... Iceweasel 3.5.16, feels like 2009...

lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#34 Postby lucky9 » Thu May 17, 2012 1:08 pm

Adrian wrote:I almost never use GUI to install software, I prefer aptitude, but for newbies it would be a good thing to have at least one GUI way to install software (by default).

For a few, yes. But there are plenty of reviews, blogs, and news articles out there for anyone smart enough to look. Which would mean that a 'recipe' would be available. To add more modern stuff for instance. Or to add additional functionalities. But even before that there would be up to date security at the time of making the .iso. That's the beauty of Linux and Unix. It can suit me as a very secure OS, having usable software that does what's needed. To those who want to see what's coming down the road and don't want to have a worry about security.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

KBD
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#35 Postby KBD » Fri May 18, 2012 10:55 pm

Doesn't Debian Stable have backports that would allow newer software?
The only advantage I can think of just using vanilla Stable 6 vs. Mepis 11 is an upgrade path. Am I correct in thinking that Mepis cannot be upgraded?
Doesn't Stable 6 use grub2 vs. Mepis using legacy grub? Am I correct in thinking that Mepis with legacy grub may not pick up other installs when duel or triple booting OS's with grub2?
Thanks.
kbd

malspa
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#36 Postby malspa » Sat May 19, 2012 12:10 am

KBD wrote:Doesn't Debian Stable have backports that would allow newer software?

Yes.

KBD wrote:Doesn't Stable 6 use grub2 vs. Mepis using legacy grub?

Yes. But it looks like the current Mepis version will be the last to come with grub-legacy.

KBD wrote:Am I correct in thinking that Mepis with legacy grub may not pick up other installs when duel or triple booting OS's with grub2

Yes, but it isn't too difficult to add them to /boot/grub/menu.lst. grub2 makes all that easier, though.

malspa
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#37 Postby malspa » Sat May 19, 2012 12:15 am

One advantage of Debian Stable over Mepis is if you want to use another DE like Xfce or GNOME. You can install those in Mepis, I guess, but with Debian you can start out with something besides KDE, if you'd like.

Maybe there aren't many advantages besides that one. Except for bragging to your friends that you installed Debian. :happy:

KBD
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#38 Postby KBD » Sat May 19, 2012 1:16 am

Well, I gave it a shot, but both Xfce and KDE Debian Stable live refused to pick up my wireless, so that was a no go.
I like Debian Stable, but none of the friendly Debian Stable distros offer an upgrade path, the one downside IMO.
kbd

malspa
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#39 Postby malspa » Sat May 19, 2012 1:37 am

KBD wrote:I like Debian Stable, but none of the friendly Debian Stable distros offer an upgrade path, the one downside IMO.

Not a big deal for me since Mepis (for example) is so quick and easy to install. But then, I prefer fresh installations over upgrades, even with Debian Stable.

Adrian
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#40 Postby Adrian » Sat May 19, 2012 3:23 am

I've never had problems upgrading Kubuntu although I've heard horror stories (but I'm skeptical, usually that's what happens when people don't bother to read the prompts and just press "yes").

Return to “General”