rsync question

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board. Just don't post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MEPIS bashing. You can email the developer of MEPIS if you just want to say you dislike or hate MEPIS.
malspa
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

rsync question

#1 Postby malspa » Sun May 20, 2012 12:42 pm

Maybe I'm missing something in man rsync. What does a trailing slash on the destination do?

rsync -av source destination
rsync -av source destination/

Looks like those two do the same thing; same with:

rsync -av source/ destination
rsync -av source/ destination/

Adrian
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: rsync question

#2 Postby Adrian » Sun May 20, 2012 3:11 pm

I don't know if the trailing slash for the destination matters, I know the one for the source is important, otherwise rsync creates a subfolder in the destinatiion folder with the source folder name

malspa
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#3 Postby malspa » Sun May 20, 2012 3:55 pm

Yep, that's how I'm reading it. Looking through man rsync, some of the examples show a slash trailing the destination and some don't. That's a long document; I couldn't find an explanation for the trailing slash on the destination, but you'd think there's a reason for it.

GoManutd
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#4 Postby GoManutd » Sun May 20, 2012 7:07 pm

malspa wrote:rsync -av source destination

the slash in the second example should cause source to be copied INTO the destination directory. if source is a directory, then source would be recreated under destination.

the first example should copy all the files in source to destination, but i believe it will not recreate the source directory

malspa
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#5 Postby malspa » Sun May 20, 2012 7:53 pm

GoManutd wrote:
malspa wrote:rsync -av source destination

the slash in the second example should cause source to be copied INTO the destination directory. if source is a directory, then source would be recreated under destination.

the first example should copy all the files in source to destination, but i believe it will not recreate the source directory

I think GoManutd hit on it. In my test, the trailing slash on the destination made a difference only if source was a file. If source was a directory, the slash trailing the destination didn't do anything -- the slash trailing the source controlled what happened.

Return to “General”