IP's scambled

Questions about Networking that deals with wireless cards, ethernet, modems, samba and anything else related to these, including software help. Tutorials for any of these can be posted too.

Remember to provide relevant info in your posts, such as the following information:

Version of Mepis being used
Card Manufacturer (i.e. Linksys)
Card Model (i.e. WMP54G)
Type: (PCI or PCMCIA)
Current Kernel in use on their system (i.e. 2.6.10)
Udev or Hotplug
Exact steps taken to get the card working if it is not immediately recognized by MEPIS.
richb
Administrator

IP's scambled

#1 Postby richb » Mon May 21, 2012 12:39 pm

May be of help to others. I have four devices connected to my wireless router. This morning I could not print to my wireless printer. I discovered that the IP addresses were switched. Resetting them to the correct devices corrected the problem.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

Rich

Laptop: Acer V5-572G: Intel i5, 12 GIG mem, Intel graphics, SanDisk SSD, 256GB
Virtualbox: Win 7
Desktop: MX-15- 64, AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, fglrx driver, 16 GIG Mem. Samsung EVO SSD 250 GB

GoManutd
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Re: IP's scambled

#2 Postby GoManutd » Mon May 21, 2012 12:43 pm

seems odd that that would happen... IPs, even with DHCP shouldn't be rearranged, especially with the usual default long lease times that are used.

did you have a power surge/outage? i'd make sure your firmware is up to date, and perhaps a reboot of your router (if it's left constantly on) is in order.

i know i've had weird, frustrating networking issues with default firmwares only to have the issues go completely away with the installation of dd-wrt firmware.

richb
Administrator

Re: IP's scambled

#3 Postby richb » Mon May 21, 2012 12:53 pm

GoManutd wrote:seems odd that that would happen... IPs, even with DHCP shouldn't be rearranged, especially with the usual default long lease times that are used.

did you have a power surge/outage? i'd make sure your firmware is up to date, and perhaps a reboot of your router (if it's left constantly on) is in order.

i know i've had weird, frustrating networking issues with default firmwares only to have the issues go completely away with the installation of dd-wrt firmware.

I thought it odd as well. Never occurred before. Firmware is up to date, manufacturers version. I will try a router reboot if it happens again, but as of now everything is communicating correctly.

It is possible an undetected power outage occurred over night. However the desktop computer which is always on, did not reboot, which happens if there is a power outage.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

Rich

Laptop: Acer V5-572G: Intel i5, 12 GIG mem, Intel graphics, SanDisk SSD, 256GB
Virtualbox: Win 7
Desktop: MX-15- 64, AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, fglrx driver, 16 GIG Mem. Samsung EVO SSD 250 GB

Return to “Networking”