how to upgrade to kde 4.6.5?

Help for Mepis 11 modified with a non-Mepis kernel, upgraded KDE. or base repositories other than Debian squeeze
knightron
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

how to upgrade to kde 4.6.5?

#1 Postby knightron » Tue May 22, 2012 5:36 am

Hello I've been using Gnu/Linux for a bit over a year, but i'm farly new to Mepis and am aquainting my self with the general methods involveld with the community ect. I have got the impression that it is possible to upgrade kde to 4.6.5. I am using the default squeeze install, and if my impression was correct i'd like to preform this update. I can not find the thread discussing the topic. Could somebody help please; thankyou :)

richb
Administrator

Re: how to upgrade to kde 4.6.5?

#2 Postby richb » Tue May 22, 2012 5:44 am

knightron wrote:Hello I've been using Gnu/Linux for a bit over a year, but i'm farly new to Mepis and am aquainting my self with the general methods involveld with the community ect. I have got the impression that it is possible to upgrade kde to 4.6.5. I am using the default squeeze install, and if my impression was correct i'd like to preform this update. I can not find the thread discussing the topic. Could somebody help please; thankyou :)

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=33000
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

Rich

Laptop: Acer V5-572G: Intel i5, 12 GIG mem, Intel graphics, SanDisk SSD, 256GB
Virtualbox: Win 7
Desktop: MX-15- 64, AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, fglrx driver, 16 GIG Mem. Samsung EVO SSD 250 GB

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#3 Postby Stevo » Tue May 22, 2012 11:18 pm

And after that, it's simple to upgrade to KDE 4.7.4, also in our experimental repository. It seems to be solid and fast for everyone that uses it.
The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds, and the pessimist fears this is true.

James Branch Cabell

knightron
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#4 Postby knightron » Wed May 23, 2012 6:15 am

Thanks for your help guys. I'm now running kde 4.6.5
I used to run opensuse 12.1 which comes with kde 4.7, i did not think it was as good as 4.6 for stability, (although 4.8 was very nice) so am hesitant to do the upgrade to 4.7.
One last question, i like using the icon task plasmoid. I've compiled this very easily in the past in Slackware and opensuse; (I have very little compiling experience) by following the readme instructions. On Opensuse i had to install the kde development tools first. I am failing to compile it this time in Mepis, and i believe i need the development tools again. I think the package in Debian is called kdevelop? I can't find a compatible version in the repos for kde 4.6.5. If there is a deb for icontask that will work; i'd be happy with that too. I'm currently running smooth task from the CR and it is nice, but i can not set launchers on Smooth task like i can on icon task; which i desire

kmathern
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#5 Postby kmathern » Wed May 23, 2012 10:31 am

knightron wrote:Thanks for your help guys. I'm now running kde 4.6.5
I used to run opensuse 12.1 which comes with kde 4.7, i did not think it was as good as 4.6 for stability, (although 4.8 was very nice) so am hesitant to do the upgrade to 4.7.
One last question, i like using the icon task plasmoid. I've compiled this very easily in the past in Slackware and opensuse; (I have very little compiling experience) by following the readme instructions. On Opensuse i had to install the kde development tools first. I am failing to compile it this time in Mepis, and i believe i need the development tools again. I think the package in Debian is called kdevelop? I can't find a compatible version in the repos for kde 4.6.5. If there is a deb for icontask that will work; i'd be happy with that too. I'm currently running smooth task from the CR and it is nice, but i can not set launchers on Smooth task like i can on icon task; which i desire

edit #2: see Stevo's post below this one

I'm using the icon task manager, but on a sid install with KDE 4.8.3 where the icon task manager is included as part of KDE4. Btw, I'm assuming this here: http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php/Ic ... ent=144808 is what you're talking about.

There's no icon task manager (aka plasma-widget-icon-tasks) package in the M11 repos or CR repos. I did find a PPA with debianized source and packages. Here's the PPA: https://launchpad.net/~debfx/+archive/ppa, and here's it's /pool folder: http://ppa.launchpad.net/debfx/ppa/ubun ... con-tasks/.

The .deb packages were built for Ubuntu/Kubuntu and I don't think they will install on Mepis 11. It might be possible to use the debianized source (the .dsc, debian.tar.gz & orig.tar.bz2 files) and backport it so the packages are compatible with M11/ KDE 4.6.5. Stevo who builds a lot of the packages in the community repos (CRs) has a backporting guide here: https://sites.google.com/site/stevosfil ... kports.txt.

If you don't want to backport the debianized source, you might be able to install the build depends listed in it's control file, and then build the tarball from: http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php/Ic ... ent=144808, following the instructions in it's README file.
Build-Depends:
debhelper (>= 7.0.50~),
pkg-kde-tools,
cmake,
kdelibs5-dev,
kde-workspace-dev,
libx11-dev,
libdbusmenu-qt-dev,
libunity-dev,
libdbusmenu-glib-dev

There are some problems with the build depends shown above. In Mepis 11 the kde-workspace-dev package is 'kdebase-workspace-dev'. Also, the libunity-dev package is unavailable and it's not backportable from sid/wheezy. You might need to disable Unity in the source {not exactly sure how you do that}.

If this sounds too complicated, maybe submit a request for a plasma-widget-icon-tasks package here: viewforum.php?f=55

edit: I took a closer look at the .debs from http://ppa.launchpad.net/debfx/ppa/ubun ... con-tasks/, and it looks like they might actually be installable, but I think a backported package would be safer.
Last edited by kmathern on Wed May 23, 2012 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#6 Postby Stevo » Wed May 23, 2012 11:51 am

We do have it in the experimental KDE repo (maybe just for 4.7.4), but it looks like it will work in 4.6.5:

http://main.mepis-deb.org/mepiscr/kde/p ... icontasks/

We also have one called "flexibletasks", but i forget the distinction...
The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds, and the pessimist fears this is true.

James Branch Cabell

kmathern
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#7 Postby kmathern » Wed May 23, 2012 12:00 pm

Stevo wrote:We do have it in the experimental KDE repo (maybe just for 4.7.4), but it looks like it will work in 4.6.5:

http://main.mepis-deb.org/mepiscr/kde/p ... icontasks/

We also have one called "flexibletasks", but i forget the distinction...

I wonder why I didn't see that earlier?

Btw, why are the source packages named 'widgit' ?

knightron
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#8 Postby knightron » Wed May 23, 2012 5:31 pm

Thanks again guys. You've been very helpful. I just used the .deb from the experiemental repo; it works fine. I am already likeing the community here, i like the detailed explanations. I appreciate not being treated like an idiot just because i'm new to the forum.
I've never made packages before, and that backporting guide will be very helpful, thankyou especially for that.

uncle mark
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#9 Postby uncle mark » Wed May 23, 2012 5:35 pm

knightron wrote:I appreciate not being treated like an idiot just because i'm new to the forum.

You don't have to be new to this forum to be an idiot. Trust me.
Desktop: Custom build Asus/AMD/nVidia -- MX-15 KDE, MEPIS 11
Laptop: Acer Aspire 5250 -- MX-15

lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#10 Postby lucky9 » Wed May 23, 2012 7:22 pm

It's written in the bylaws.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

Return to “Mepis 11 Modified”